The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

Talked to an acquittance yesterday, covid came up.

turns out I was talking to an anti vaxxer.

It quickly became painful to listen to.

"Gene therapy"

"Media only  says what government says"

"did my own research"

Doesn't matter what I say, doesn't matter what John Hopkins University hospital says.

Doesn't matter that all the governments in the world are in favour of vaccines.

Their mind has decided.

It reminded me of some of my old safety training.

Basically, in the face of danger some people will completely deny the ship is sinking, until their feet get wet.

• Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, gurn said:

Talked to an acquittance yesterday, covid came up.

turns out I was talking to an anti vaxxer.

It quickly became painful to listen to.

"Gene therapy"

"Media only  says what government says"

"did my own research"

Doesn't matter what I say, doesn't matter what John Hopkins University hospital says.

Doesn't matter that all the governments in the world are in favour of vaccines.

Their mind has decided.

It reminded me of some of my old safety training.

Basically, in the face of danger some people will completely deny the ship is sinking, until their feet get wet.

Do an experiment.

Wear flip flops 

And wear Steel toed boots.

Drop a 15 lbs sledgehammer on the foot with Steel toes.

Then drop in on the guy wearing flip flops.

The guy in the flip flops is the antivaxxer. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just got the news that one of my nephews has covid.

He's vaxxed and been travelling. Was really looking forward to seeing him at xmas but cant now. It's been a couple years since I've seen my sisters fam. 4 nephews, mid teens to early 20's. They are all over 6ft tall now. I miss them. 

F' covid. Tired of it. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Just got the news that one of my nephews has covid.

He's vaxxed and been travelling. Was really looking forward to seeing him at xmas but cant now. It's been a couple years since I've seen my sisters fam. 4 nephews, mid teens to early 20's. They are all over 6ft tall now. I miss them. 

F' covid. Tired of it. 

Or because neither you or your family (aside from the nephew) is sick you could get together and get on with life. 

• Wat 2

5 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Or because neither you or your family (aside from the nephew) is sick you could get together and get on with life. 

Or he could wait a few days to find out just how many other people in his nephews family also get covid, because the virus is contagious.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

Or he could wait a few days to find out just how many other people in his nephews family also get covid, because the virus is contagious.

Under the assumption all of these people live together or have physically interacted at some point since. It's not just bishopshodan, but other people on social media and probably this forum too along the lines of "not being able to see family again this year either" as if there's some entity forbidding this. 

• Wat 1

5 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Yeah,  I dont think the others have had contact with the oldest (covid) as they were at Uni. So I'm hoping the rest are still coming. 

With all of them being at Uni or travelling and with them living on the mainland...and covid stuff. It's been a while.

First world problems though. As long as everyone is healthy...

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

just because you're not sick doesn't mean you don't have the virus and can't spread it to others

• Thanks 1

B.C. COVID-19 pandemic update:

As of Monday, Dec. 13, 2021, 86.5% (4,310,875) of eligible people five and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 82.3% (4,102,917) have received their second dose.

In addition, 91.5% (4,241,514) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine, 88.5% (4,102,880) received their second dose and 13% (589,595) have received a third dose.

Also, 91.9% (3,974,421) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose, 89% (3,850,076) received their second dose and 14% (588,870) have received a third dose.

Over a three-day period, B.C. is reporting 1,129 new cases of COVID-19, for a total of 223,142 cases in the province:

• Dec. 10-11: 415 new cases
  • Dec. 11-12: 365 new cases
  • Dec. 12-13: 349 new cases

Note: The numbers of total and new cases are provisional due to a delayed data refresh and will be verified once confirmed.

There are currently 2,949 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 217,705 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 185 individuals are currently in hospital and 72 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.

The new/active cases include:

• 342 new cases in Fraser Health
    • Total active cases: 850
  • 202 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health
    • Total active cases: 565
  • 200 new cases in Interior Health
    • Total active cases: 529
  • 78 new cases in Northern Health
    • Total active cases: 240
  • 307 new cases in Island Health
    • Total active cases: 764
  • no new cases of people who reside outside of Canada
    • Total active cases: one

In the past 72 hours, five new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 2,386.

The new deaths include:

• Fraser Health: three
  • Northern Health: one
  • Island Health: one

Note: The update on cases of the Omicron variant of concern will be provided in tomorrow's COVID-19 pandemic update.

There have been no new health-care facility outbreaks. The outbreak at George Derby Centre (Fraser Health) has been declared over, for a total of three facilities with ongoing outbreaks, including:

long-term care:

• Ponderosa Lodge (Interior Health)

acute care:

• Ridge Meadows Hospital (Fraser Health)

assisted or independent living:

• Laurier Manor (Northern Health)

The outbreak at Supportive Housing Victoria (Island Health) has been declared over.

From Dec. 3-9, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 54.9% of cases and from Nov. 26 to Dec. 9, they accounted for 67.9% of hospitalizations.

Past week cases (Dec. 3-9) – Total 2,429

• Not vaccinated: 1,262 (52%)
  • Partially vaccinated: 71 (2.9%)
  • Fully vaccinated: 1,096 (45.1%)

Past two weeks cases hospitalized (Nov. 26 to Dec. 9) – Total 162

• Not vaccinated: 102 (63.0%)
  • Partially vaccinated: 8 (4.9%)
  • Fully vaccinated: 52 (32.1%)

Past week, cases per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Dec. 3-9)    

• Not vaccinated: 161.3
  • Partially vaccinated: 35.8
  • Fully vaccinated: 24.3

Past two weeks, cases hospitalized per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Nov. 26 to Dec. 9)

• Not vaccinated: 21.8
  • Partially vaccinated: 6.3
  • Fully vaccinated: 1.1

Since December 2020, the Province has administered 8,972,851 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, AstraZeneca and Pfizer Pediatric COVID-19 vaccines.

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2021HLTH0078-002386

2 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

I sure do! I hope we're not letting our guard down this Christmas. 

Sadly, I think that's a foregone conclusion.  I know several people going to Hawaii, Mexico etc etc.  Tons of Xmas parties........I have a nagging feeling that we might not be coming back to school after break

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Does anyone else feel like we're back in March 2020?

My oldest daughter is petrified of needles and refuses to get the vaccine at age 13.  Her body her choice.

But she is hoping for a January pull back of the vaxx passport and I just don't see that happening anymore

• Vintage 1

33 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

My oldest daughter is petrified of needles and refuses to get the vaccine at age 13.  Her body her choice.

But she is hoping for a January pull back of the vaxx passport and I just don't see that happening anymore

I had three kids in kindergarten get it and one of them got it while playing video games and didn't even realize it.  I get it though, that's a big one for kids.  Did she get her school vaxxes?

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

I had three kids in kindergarten get it and one of them got it while playing video games and didn't even realize it.  I get it though, that's a big one for kids.  Did she get her school vaxxes?

Yes fully vaxxed otherwise but this is a fight for sure

4 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

WHO reporting Africa at this rate will only achieve 70% double vaccinated rated by end of 2024. And at that same rate you'll be on booster #6, 7, or 8 depending on when you received the initial two shots. 

I can't see this being surprising unfortunately. A lot of 1st world countries look out for themselves 1st and foremost. This is understandably so mind you. I can't see it being an easy decision.

That being said, at the rate the virus is going, it'll probably deteriorate by 2024 to the point where it hardly does anything anymore anyway. Each varient's likely to get weaker and weaker like how the Spanish flu went.

Edited by The Lock