The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

Just now, King Heffy said:

That's my hope for sure.  I don't want to roll the dice until we have more data though.  I don't think it will be as mild for the unvaccinated, but that's their problem.  

I agree, try to slow things down for a bit until we have a definitive answer on how deadly Omicron is. I feel like having the unvaccinated die from this is just darwinism.

Just now, Alflives said:

Heard similar.  Apparently this is what happened to the Spanish Flu pandemic.  It mutated into a more contagious variant, but with milder (flu-like) symptoms.  And we have the vaccines, which even reduces the risk of symptoms a lot more.  Still a bit early, but the outlook is hopeful

Yup, that's my thought too. The virus evolves to survive, it can't survive if it evolves to kill us all. It'll eventually run out of hosts, so it would make sense for it become more contagious with milder symptoms.

40 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

I'm not a fan of Dr Henry but now I hate her.

No clue why she isn't checking out the game day thread to see who's in and out of the lineup.

We are all busy but the fact that she can't stay up to date on the Canucks is disgusting.

If I were the top Dr in the Province, I sure would.:rolleyes:

32 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

I feel like the Omicron variant may signal the end of this pandemic, just mild symptoms and not deadly (as far as I know of).

Many governments in the world have had a taste of power beyond the scope of 'regular' democracy.  Canada has had some of these issues (mild ones, admittedly) but if you look at a fellow commonwealth partner such as Australia...things get a bit darker.  

History would tell us those that have such power/privilege rarely give it up easily (referencing history is so passe these days, I know).   Something tells me after covid there will be a lull and then another medical style emergency that will sweep the world.  The coronavirus has shown officials that using a casus belli of a medical nature (IE a plague) is highly effective in instituting strong control over a population.

I'm going to hold onto my hat and hope for the best but prepare for the worst.  

• Vintage 1

Just got my booster, went with a second shot of Moderna, to go along with my original AstraZeneca.

6 months to the date of my second shot, no appointment needed. However it seems the 6 months between second and booster is a thing, as I just made the eligibility criteria.

Was going to try for a Pfizer booster so as to have all three vaccines, but the health experts mentioned a possible issue with travel as apparently some nations are going with a must have 2 the same, restriction.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2
  • RoughGame 1

45 minutes ago, gurn said:

Just got my booster, went with a second shot of Moderna, to go along with my original AstraZeneca.

6 months to the date of my second shot, no appointment needed. However it seems the 6 months between second and booster is a thing, as I just made the eligibility criteria.

Was going to try for a Pfizer booster so as to have all three vaccines, but the health experts mentioned a possible issue with travel as apparently some nations are going with a must have 2 the same, restriction.

I'm at 6.5 months

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, gurn said:

I'm really tech useless, but I got an email from my brother in law yesterday, and it was showing some of the combos and their efficacy percentages. The best overall, was 3 shots of Moderna, however, two pfizer and the booster of Moderna wasn't to bad at all either. My son is in his mid forties, and he got an email to book his booster, so he's going tomorrow.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

If everyone in the world or even in this Country were vaccinated, normal would be a hell of a lot better than it is now.

Yes.  Vintage has been posting the data that backs this up.  Hospitalizations including ICU patients would go down big time if this was the case.  The people who have been complaining the loudest are most likely part of the group that is prolonging this nightmare.  If you are unvaccinated by choice in Canada right now, you are the problem.  Period.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

10 - 12 years of what? Lockdowns and masks? Not a chance.

The virus will have become endemic far, far sooner than that. In fact, some medical experts believe Omicron is the indication that the pandemic is nearing endemic status.

Did the 1918 Influenza take until 1930 before restrictions were lifted? No, and that was a far more dangerous illness that killed over 50,000,000, most of them being young adults from 19-34. 

Exactly....and they didn't have Ivermectin and vitamin D supplements back then, either.......

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

10 - 12 years of what? Lockdowns and masks? Not a chance.

The virus will have become endemic far, far sooner than that. In fact, some medical experts believe Omicron is the indication that the pandemic is nearing endemic status.

Did the 1918 Influenza take until 1930 before restrictions were lifted? No, and that was a far more dangerous illness that killed over 50,000,000, most of them being young adults from 19-34. 

World travel was nothing like it is today.

• Upvote 1