The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

They did. That's why I left it out....

Of course, they didn't have any "Stable Genius" in office to tell them to take it, so there's that.....

"Yes, maybe we could look into this, right?" I just found out that two of my cousins and a wife of one them in Albertabama came down with Covid. All were vaccinated, one suffered really badly. I just finished messaging with him, he said he believes he would be dead had he not been vaccinated. He went through hell. Get vaccinated PEOPLE!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

5 minutes ago, brilac said:

Scheduled my booster shot. I'm excited!  Who knew I could be excited about getting a shot and finding an appointment.  Has anyone else experienced side effects from the booster shot? 

Me, a headache, about 24 hours after the shot. My wife, a headache and chills as well. Moderna was our choice.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Its going to be a weird stretch here.

Omicron shows potential to take this to a endemic but not enough is known about it.

NFL is thinking about allowing asymptomatic players back...

So the push could be to just let it spread around.

Throw caution to the wind...

I dunno. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

10 - 12 years of what? Lockdowns and masks? Not a chance.

The virus will have become endemic far, far sooner than that. In fact, some medical experts believe Omicron is the indication that the pandemic is nearing endemic status.

Did the 1918 Influenza take until 1930 before restrictions were lifted? No, and that was a far more dangerous illness that killed over 50,000,000, most of them being young adults from 19-34. 

This virus is different, it very possibly could kill 50 million by the time it's done. If you factor that numbers of deaths from populous countries like India and China are not even remotely accurate, we are likely far over 10 million now. If you talk to people in India (I do on a daily basis), they will tell you that you seldom find families down there who haven't lost someone, and that's almost 1.4 billion people.

The other thing to factor with Spanish Flu is, Science was no where near as advanced as it is now. Our ability to fully sequence a virus DNA has grown substantially in the last 20 years, not to mention it didn't even exist in 1930. We keep making viruses stronger and more resilient.

It's possible that Omicron is the virus evolving into something less dangerous, but we really don't know that at this point, it's all speculation. The theory that I've heard is that it has bound itself with common cold DNA which makes it far more transmissible. There's nothing to say that it doesn't continue to evolve and incorporate DNA from something even worse into itself. Every country where there is low vaccination rates are evolution zones for this virus.

There is a LOT that we still don't know about the core SARS virus. It has come back 2 other times, years apart, it seems to be good at evolving and improving itself.

Really hope you're right though!

• Cheers 2

23 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

This virus is different, it very possibly could kill 50 million by the time it's done.

It is different. Far less dangerous than the H1N1 influenza that primarily infected healthy young adults. The 1918 influenza killed 50,000,000 in 2 years. Covid is nowhere near that death toll nor does it create the cytokine storm that the 1918 influenza did. 

If you factor that numbers of deaths from populous countries like India and China are not even remotely accurate, we are likely far over 10 million now.

That’s anecdotal and assumed. I fully expect the CCP to lie about their numbers. Do you honestly think that the government of India would lie about the deaths of millions?

If you talk to people in India (I do on a daily basis), they will tell you that you seldom find families down there who haven't lost someone, and that's almost 1.4 billion people.

I’m sure many have lost someone, but at this point it’s merely anecdotal and not backed up by facts. 

The other thing to factor with Spanish Flu is, Science was no where near as advanced as it is now. Our ability to fully sequence a virus DNA has grown substantially in the last 20 years, not to mention it didn't even exist in 1930. We keep making viruses stronger and more resilient. 

Certainly science is more advanced but humans haven’t evolved a great deal in that same amount of time. Viruses will exist in nature, which I don’t believe this did. Those viruses will find hosts and will replicate. That’s as old as the hills. 

How science goes about dealing with viruses is what’s changed. They’ve built vaccines but clearly these very same laboratories have been known to take viruses and mess with their gene sequences to create more virulent versions of what nature creates. 

It's possible that Omicron is the virus evolving into something less dangerous, but we really don't know that at this point, it's all speculation.

Not really. Doctors in South Africa were the first to document this new variant as they’ve stood by their initial statements that while the virus is easy to catch, it’s unusually mild. I’m not sure why doctors from the origin country have been discounted so easily but they have. 

The theory that I've heard is that it has bound itself with common cold DNA which makes it far more transmissible. There's nothing to say that it doesn't continue to evolve and incorporate DNA from something even worse into itself. Every country where there is low vaccination rates are evolution zones for this virus.

Eventually viruses die out. Through a combination of natural immunity, proper vaccination, and herd immunity. Not just vaccination. 

There is a LOT that we still don't know about the core SARS virus. It has come back 2 other times, years apart, it seems to be good at evolving and improving itself.

Really hope you're right though!

Who knows how it rears it’s ugly head. Maybe it’s nature's method of preserving Earth by dealing with the biggest infection it’s experiencing. Maybe it’s poor hygiene. Maybe it’s engineered in a lab. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Its going to be a weird stretch here.

Omicron shows potential to take this to a endemic but not enough is known about it.

NFL is thinking about allowing asymptomatic players back...

So the push could be to just let it spread around.

Throw caution to the wind...

I dunno. 

I hope they wait to see how omicron actually behaves before they do something so stupid

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

That’s anecdotal and assumed. I fully expect the CCP to lie about their numbers. Do you honestly think that the government of India would lie about the deaths of millions?

I’m sure many have lost someone, but at this point it’s merely anecdotal and not backed up by facts. 

Yes, absolutely 100%.

I think India has some pretty strict criteria for who qualifies as a Covid death. India's death toll is in all likelihood grossly underrepresented.

A lot of countries straight up lie about their Covid cases. Take the country of Turkmenistan for example. Despite a population of 6 million and sharing a border with Iran who was clobbered with Covid early on they have reported zero cases of Covid. Yet the president for life Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedow has told citizens to wear masks to protect from dust.

He has also told his citizens that licorice can cure Covid.

The rest of the world simply does not function as the 1st world does.

B.C. COVID-19 pandemic update:

As of Wednesday, Dec. 15, 2021, 86.7% (4,322,280) of eligible people five and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 82.4% (4,107,920) have received a second dose.

In addition, 91.6% (4,244,423) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine, 88.6% (4,107,876) have received their second dose and 14% (633,831) have received a third dose.

Also, 92.0% (3,977,059) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose, 89.1% (3,854,597) have received their second dose and 15% (633,091) have received a third dose.

B.C. is reporting 584 new cases of COVID-19, including two epi-linked cases, for a total of 224,245 cases in the province.

There are 3,458 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 218,295 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 193 individuals are in hospital and 77 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.

The new/active cases include:

• 172 new cases in Fraser Health
    • Total active cases: 945
  • 180 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health
    • Total active cases: 798
  • 92 new cases in Interior Health
    • Total active cases: 641
  • 31 new cases in Northern Health
    • Total active cases: 217
  • 109 new cases in Island Health
    • Total active cases: 856
  • no new cases of people who reside outside of Canada
    • Total active cases: one

In the past 24 hours, seven new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 2,393.

The new deaths include:

• Fraser Health: two
  • Northern Health: three
  • Island Health: two

There have been no new health-care facility outbreaks. The outbreaks at Ridge Meadows Hospital (Fraser Health) and Laurier Manor (Northern Health) have been declared over. Currently, there is one active outbreak in:

long-term care:

• Ponderosa Lodge (Interior Health)

acute care:

• none

assisted or independent living:

• none

From Dec. 7-13, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 48.9% of cases. From Nov. 30 to Dec. 13, they accounted for 72.0% of hospitalizations.

Past week cases (Dec. 7-13) – Total 2,781

• Not vaccinated: 1,295 (46.6%)
  • Partially vaccinated: 65 (2.3%)
  • Fully vaccinated: 1,421 (51.1%)

Past two weeks cases hospitalized (Nov. 30 to Dec. 13) – Total 150

• Not vaccinated: 100 (66.7%)
  • Partially vaccinated: 8 (5.3%)
  • Fully vaccinated: 42 (28.0%)

Past week, cases per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Dec. 7-13)    

• Not vaccinated: 172.4
  • Partially vaccinated: 34.3
  • Fully vaccinated: 31.4

Past two weeks, cases hospitalized per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Nov. 30 to Dec. 13)

• Not vaccinated: 22.0
  • Partially vaccinated: 6.7
  • Fully vaccinated: 0.9

Since December 2020, the Province has administered 9,032,599 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, AstraZeneca and Pfizer Pediatric COVID-19 vaccines.

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2021HLTH0078-002404

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Yes, absolutely 100%.

I think India has some pretty strict criteria for who qualifies as a Covid death. India's death toll is in all likelihood grossly underrepresented.

And the proof is?

A lot of countries straight up lie about their Covid cases.

Which ones specifically? 

Take the country of Turkmenistan for example. Despite a population of 6 million and sharing a border with Iran who was clobbered with Covid early on they have reported zero cases of Covid. Yet the president for life Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedow has told citizens to wear masks to protect from dust.

He has also told his citizens that licorice can cure Covid.

That’s truly unfortunate. I can see that general totalitarian approach also being applied by the CCP, but India isn’t a totalitarian state. 

The rest of the world simply does not function as the 1st world does.

That’s true. When the first world takes what it wants from the rest of the world, functions tend to adjust based on capabilities and capacities. 

21 hours ago, Slegr said:

I’m hearing Canada will reapply its advisory against non essential travel tomorrow. My family booked a trip to Mexico over the Christmas break. I realize this is a first world problem for me to have to cancel, but damn, I’ve taken my two shots, booster, kids are vaccinated, we’ve worn masks everywhere, played by all the rules, and after a year and a half of no travel, we were so looking to celebrate a milestone birthday in a fun way.   And it seems like this new variant is simply helping us get to where society will be soon: living with a mild variant like any flu. Maybe it’s helping us get there faster, and authorities aren’t helping in this case.

We cancelled our January mexico trip a couple weeks ago because my kids are young and couldn't go to daycare for 2 weeks once we came back.  It sucks, it would have been our first vacation (other than to vancouver island) in like 5-6 years.

21 hours ago, Slegr said:

I’m hearing Canada will reapply its advisory against non essential travel tomorrow. My family booked a trip to Mexico over the Christmas break. I realize this is a first world problem for me to have to cancel, but damn, I’ve taken my two shots, booster, kids are vaccinated, we’ve worn masks everywhere, played by all the rules, and after a year and a half of no travel, we were so looking to celebrate a milestone birthday in a fun way.   And it seems like this new variant is simply helping us get to where society will be soon: living with a mild variant like any flu. Maybe it’s helping us get there faster, and authorities aren’t helping in this case.

That sucks.

I have traveled and found traveling safer than going grocery shopping honestly.

The entire thing seems like a joke but I'd follow the advice of the Drs.

34 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

And the proof is?

Which ones specifically? 

That’s truly unfortunate. I can see that general totalitarian approach also being applied by the CCP, but India isn’t a totalitarian state. 

That’s true. When the first world takes what it wants from the rest of the world, functions tend to adjust based on capabilities and capacities. 

You're never going to get absolute proof because they don't keep stats.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2021/07/20/1018438334/indias-pandemic-death-toll-estimated-at-about-4-million-10-times-the-official-co

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2021-07-21/covid-19-may-have-claimed-as-many-as-5-million-lives-in-india

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/5/3/is-india-counting-every-covid-case-what-about-deaths

While India isn't a totalitarian state it's really only a democracy for those with money. If you're poor you're outta luck.

Which ones lie? China, Russia has claimed the 5th most Covid cases. Global mortality rate is about 1.6%. Russia's mortality rate is sub .3%. That's really impressive. Everyone should be doing what they're doing right?

If you look at the cases per capita data you'll see the developing nations of the world have seemingly done a much better job at protecting their citizens than developed countries. One would have to be pretty naive to believe that. Either the developed nations are over-reporting cases or underdeveloped nations are under reporting their cases (or just not testing). While there may be some truth to the former. It is far more likely the latter is the norm.

Edited by nuckin_futz