The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

Well that was short lived. We, as an extended family were going to do a bit of getting together over Christmas and this week leading up to it. A few family members have birthdays in December. Some of our relatives are coming up from the USA, this being the first Christmas in three years we've all been together. Christmas eve has been canceled as with everyone all in close proximity inside a home we believe it's not worth the possible risk. The real young ones aren't vaccinated. So, as well Christmas morning breakfast only our extended family, (our kids and grandkids) will be with us. As for Christmas dinner, it's panic time, we have to go find a turkey etc. I'm so done with this crap, and when I hear Premier's like the one in Albertabama saying people's mental health is at stake, and I'm not canceling or forbidding anyone to travel or get together over the holidays, I want to ask. What about us who believe that God IS NOT going to take care of us, Ivermectin is not a cure, real leaders rely on science and the medical professionals to lead the way, and vaccines DO work?

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

On 12/15/2021 at 6:21 PM, PhillipBlunt said:

And the proof is?

Which ones specifically? 

That’s truly unfortunate. I can see that general totalitarian approach also being applied by the CCP, but India isn’t a totalitarian state. 

That’s true. When the first world takes what it wants from the rest of the world, functions tend to adjust based on capabilities and capacities. 

I think you’re right that India isn’t trying to fudge or underreport the numbers on purpose, but have you ever been to India? Millions live in squalor in tightly packed spaces. I think it’s fair to doubt the ability of the country to properly track every COVID death in a country with so many people living in poverty. I feel the same way about most non-western countries. They don’t have that kind of money to put into a system this large. The resources required to keep track of over a billion people is far too high for the country. My educated guess is they keep close track of those with houses in the cities, but have vastly undercounted those without a roof or with tin instead.

47 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yes we do.  Every where is reporting Omicron presents with far less serious symptoms

Nope, the media is saying "less severe" but the doctors are saying "we don't know yet".

Add in- it may end up being less severe, but if more people catch it, we can still end up with way more deaths.

Edited by gurn
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 3

9 minutes ago, gurn said:

Nope, the media is saying "less severe" but the doctors are saying "we don't know yet".

Add in- it may end up being less severe, but if more people catch it, we can still end up with way more deaths.

Nope.  Not just less severe, but mild and even more like the flu.  This variant is the end, especially for the vaccinated.  Look at the next Myers if infected compared to hospitalization!  It IS OVER!  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Nope.  Not just less severe, but mild and even more like the flu.  This variant is the end, especially for the vaccinated.  Look at the next Myers if infected compared to hospitalization!  It IS OVER!  

Ok. please provide a link to a credible peer reviewed study to back up your assertion.

8 minutes ago, gurn said:

Ok. please provide a link to a credible peer reviewed study to back up your assertion.

Show peer reviewed stats that this isn’t the end!  Oh ya.  You can’t, right?  IT IS OVER!  For the vaccinated this is the end game.  For the antivaxxers they will continue to ge5 sick, suffer, and DIE.  

36 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Show peer reviewed stats that this isn’t the end!  Oh ya.  You can’t, right?  IT IS OVER!  For the vaccinated this is the end game.  For the antivaxxers they will continue to ge5 sick, suffer, and DIE.  

I'll take this as a no, you have zero peer reviewed studies to back you up.

• Haha 1

Check the South African Covid death and hospitalization chart.  Both are at pandemic lows;  Not sure why everyone are not trusting their vaccine?   We are also at a low for hospitalizations in BC, but let's kill the economy based on a group of politicians who have been wrong since day 1.

Edited by bolt
  • Upvote 1

Christmas plans are cancelled.  I'm staying home. I was going to fly out and see family, but after discussing this with family, it is best to stay home. There are many safety issues, and there is a child under 5. I'm getting my booster shot on Sunday, but that leaves 5 days after the booster that I was going to fly out. I don't feel safe, breakthrough cases, potentially coming in contact and exposing others, etc. This is too much. I feel safe at home.  

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, bolt said:

Check the South African Covid death and hospitalization chart.  Both are at pandemic lows;  Not sure why everyone are not trusting their vaccine?   We are also at a low for hospitalizations in BC, but let's kill the economy based on a group of politicians who have been wrong since day 1.

Yeah we have quite a reasonable number in ICUs (70).  That number was between 120 to 130 a few months ago if my memory serves me right.  

I hope that the initial judgment of the new variant is correct: higher transmission but lower health risk. Still little bit early to make any judgments, but it's also early to make any rash changes in public policy.  

29 minutes ago, brilac said:

Christmas plans are cancelled.  I'm staying home. I was going to fly out and see family, but after discussing this with family, it is best to stay home. There are many safety issues, and there is a child under 5. I'm getting my booster shot on Sunday, but that leaves 5 days after the booster that I was going to fly out. I don't feel safe, breakthrough cases, potentially coming in contact and exposing others, etc. This is too much. I feel safe at home.  

Not sure where you're flying, but if it's between US and Canada, you would be on a flight with other passengers that have been vaccinated and have produced a negative covid test within 72 hours (or 24 hours in other direction), so it's actually not that bad. 

Either way you've made your decision and it will probably save you a lot of stress from the sounds of it, so I hope that you have nice holidays at home then. 

8 hours ago, bolt said:

Much more infectious, but decreased severity isn't a relief according to experts.  They are predicting this to be the worst wave yet.  Based on the sheer number of projected infections hospitals will be overwhelmed like never before, and more deaths than any other wave.

That said, they are just projections.  We can mitigate the wave with restrictions and risk aware behaviour.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

I go for my booster next Wednesday. Have heard of a few cases where people got the booster and had a reaction when they had not had any reaction with their first 2 shots. My wife and I are having an emotional reaction to the idea of another Christmas without family. We spent a lot of time with family this summer and I doubt we will go without this X-Mass. We have to assume that our kids will feel comfortable coming to our house. All 3 of our kids are in health care so they might say no. 

My dad had two Pfizer and then a moderna booster and it kicked his ass, but he's a bit of a princess and is also diabetic.  My mom had the same mix and had zero side effects.

• Cheers 2

47 minutes ago, stawns said:

My dad had two Pfizer and then a moderna booster and it kicked his ass, but he's a bit of a princess and is also diabetic.  My mom had the same mix and had zero side effects.

We're going Moderna if the option is there. Had Pfizer on the 1st shot. People are being told by shot givers that Moderna is the best option. We will take whatever is offered. Just hoping that whatever the reaction that it clears by X-Mass. Maybe I should play the sympathy ticket and get waited on thru the holidays. :) Sit back in the recliner with some nice rum and watch the WJC.  

• Cheers 1

Astra fist-     a bit of brain fog/fatigue the day after

Moderna second- ill, with the shakes and temp, with sweats the night after

Moderna third- queasy, with a bit of a temp, a sore arm and fatigue the night of the shot,  and the beginning of the day after till around 3 pm.

Today- all better.

Strange though, having had zero colds, flus or anything for the last couple of years, just being under the weather for a day seemed horrible. :)

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Much more infectious, but decreased severity isn't a relief according to experts.  They are predicting this to be the worst wave yet.  Based on the sheer number of projected infections hospitals will be overwhelmed like never before, and more deaths than any other wave.

That said, they are just projections.  We can mitigate the wave with restrictions and risk aware behaviour.

I wonder if these are projections by "experts" or actual health agencies?  

Spent an hour watching the news in the background the other day when I was in a restaurant and it was just bad news, after bad news, followed by more bad news.  I didn't see a single piece of good news for an entire hour on whatever American channel it was (I want to say Komo). 

In any case, I'll be watching the ICU numbers to form my opinion.  I know that changes in ICU number will lag behind a bit and could increase fast once we see a rapid growth in case numbers.  

4 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I wonder if these are projections by "experts" or actual health agencies?  

Spent an hour watching the news in the background the other day when I was in a restaurant and it was just bad news, after bad news, followed by more bad news.  I didn't see a single piece of good news for an entire hour on whatever American channel it was (I want to say Komo). 

In any case, I'll be watching the ICU numbers to form my opinion.  I know that changes in ICU number will lag behind a bit and could increase fast once we see a rapid growth in case numbers.  

no argument here, but I do agree there is a reason for some hope I think

How is everyone holding up with the holidays looking to be cancelled this year with restrictions coming in for the fully vaccinated? Personally I am pretty burnt out from complying to everything that’s been asked and it’s not good enough. I was looking forward to visiting my 100 year old grandma for Christmas but government knows best. 

• Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1