Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak


CBH1926

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The WHO recommended vaccination.  So you’re saying they do get a lot right then.  Good.  I’m glad you can accept that.  

Right, how they scream at rich countries for "vaccine hoarding" because poor countries don't have the infrastructure to actually store mRNA vaccines.

 

Go google "vaccine hoarding" and see how much bull$&!# is perpetrated by the WHO.

 

Great organization, totally not compromised.

Edited by Kurgom
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What?  You compare the trouble with the U.N. with (your perceived troubles within the WHO, show no proof of such comparison, and then run away when challenged?  

Get vaccinated, and get boosted.  

That poster said the WHO and UN are a propaganda tool for the sinister...

I made the wild insinuation that he meant the WHO and UN are controlled. That is not a word he used. If they are not controlling them, then why do these groups do their propaganda?

 

I wish posters like this didn't have such thin skin with hair triggers. 

I love this kind of stuff.... I live remote... I train and prep for end of days....I didn't breed because I don't believe the future is bright....yet I am happy and strong. I sleep well at night and enjoy my private little world. I'm not your average joe. 

 

I was kind to that poster until the personal attack. How much kids gloves do these folk need? I just want to understand sometimes and all you get is random links, sometimes a video and hardly ever a calm conversation. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Kurgom said:

Right, how they scream at rich countries for "vaccine hoarding" because poor countries don't have the infrastructure to actually store mRNA vaccines.

 

Go google "vaccine hoarding" and see how much bull$&!# is perpetrated by the WHO.

 

Great organization, totally not compromised.

Yet, you followed the WHO guidelines about being vaccinated as the best way to keep yourself and those around you safe.  Good for you to follow the WHO recommendation.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

That poster said the WHO and UN are a propaganda tool for the sinister...

I made the wild insinuation that he meant the WHO and UN are controlled. That is not a word he used. If they are not controlling them, then why do these groups do their propaganda?

 

I wish posters like this didn't have such thin skin with hair triggers. 

I love this kind of stuff.... I live remote... I train and prep for end of days....I didn't breed because I don't believe the future is bright....yet I am happy and strong. I sleep well at night and enjoy my private little world. I'm not your average joe. 

 

I was kind to that poster until the personal attack. How much kids gloves do these folk need? I just want to understand sometimes and all you get is random links, sometimes a video and hardly ever a calm conversation. 

I think a lot of these types of posters are angry younger people.  They grew up in their parents’ home, and life was easy.  Then they went out on their own, and found out that providing a lifestyle like that is hard work.  They seem very frustrated.  Maybe more time spent working hard, and less time playing on the Internet would change their understanding?  

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think a lot of these types of posters are angry younger people.  They grew up in their parents’ home, and life was easy.  Then they went out on their own, and found out that providing a lifestyle like that is hard work.  They seem very frustrated.  Maybe more time spent working hard, and less time playing on the Internet would change their understanding?  

Sure.

Despite that poster being rude and insulting I don't want them to stop making their claims. I just want them, in their words, to clarify where they are coming from. 

If they care about society wouldn't it be in their best interest to have constructive debates? 

 

The poster made some big claims and when asked about it....I was too dumb.

 

That's weaksauce. If they are know the truth, why would they not have patience for their fellow humans? the ones that apparently have 'blind faith'?

Help people understand your concerns instead of getting one's knickers in a twist over what should be easy questions.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kurgom said:

Then why even talk to you, you're obviously never going to realize the UN is mostly just a place for countries to talk about how evil the west is for internal propaganda.

 

Similarly, the WHO can continue to stoke fear and spread misinformation and you'll still trust them.

I think you're just the kind of person who needs a villian, someone to blame for things beyond your control.   

 

If the UN sits around and talks about how bad the west is, maybe those of us in the west need to.take a long, hard, honest look at how we behave on this planet we share with a few billion other human beings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's almost like vaccines work.  When you belong to a death cult, you win your award.

 

 

 

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/12/05/1059828993/data-vaccine-misinformation-trump-counties-covid-death-rate

Pro-Trump counties now have far higher COVID death rates. Misinformation is to blame

  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

It's almost like vaccines work.  When you belong to a death cult, you win your award.

 

 

 

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/12/05/1059828993/data-vaccine-misinformation-trump-counties-covid-death-rate

Pro-Trump counties now have far higher COVID death rates. Misinformation is to blame


It’s really not that far a stretch to call Trump supporters a death cult. They’re willing to die for their freedumb nonsensical beliefs, facts and science be damned. The Republican Party is quite literally killing their own voters by not stamping out the misinformation and disinformation. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

That poster said the WHO and UN are a propaganda tool for the sinister...

I made the wild insinuation that he meant the WHO and UN are controlled. That is not a word he used. If they are not controlling them, then why do these groups do their propaganda?

 

I wish posters like this didn't have such thin skin with hair triggers. 

I love this kind of stuff.... I live remote... I train and prep for end of days....I didn't breed because I don't believe the future is bright....yet I am happy and strong. I sleep well at night and enjoy my private little world. I'm not your average joe. 

 

I was kind to that poster until the personal attack. How much kids gloves do these folk need? I just want to understand sometimes and all you get is random links, sometimes a video and hardly ever a calm conversation. 

 

 

 

I've no consideration 

Zero mutual respect 

For the billions who suffer from 

Rational thought neglect 

I don't wanna waste a sentence 

I don't wanna a convert-sation 

That's gonna end in disdain 

Disbelief and aggravation. 

 

Mike Burkett 

 

 

 

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

B.C. COVID-19 pandemic update:

 

As of Monday, Dec. 6, 2021, 85.5% (4,261,317) of eligible people five and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 82.0% (4,085,935) have received their second dose.

 

In addition, 91.3% (4,232,872) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine, 88.1% (4,085,907) received their second dose and 11% (492,236) have received a third dose.

 

Also, 91.7% (3,966,651) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose, 88.7% (3,834,996) received their second dose and 11% (491,553) have received a third dose.

 

Over a three-day period, B.C. is reporting 946 new cases of COVID-19, including 15 new epi-linked cases, for a total of 220,530 cases in the province:

  • Dec. 3-4: 351 new cases
  • Dec. 4-5: 311 new cases
  • Dec. 5-6: 284 new cases

There are currently 2,876 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 215,190 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 241 individuals are currently in hospital and 89 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.

 

The new/active cases include:

  • 285 new cases in Fraser Health
    • Total active cases: 927
  • 138 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health
    • Total active cases: 424
  • 211 new cases in Interior Health
    • Total active cases: 559
  • 115 new cases in Northern Health
    • Total active cases: 342
  • 197 new cases in Island Health
    • Total active cases: 624
  • no new cases of people who reside outside of Canada
    • Total active cases: zero

In the past 72 hours, 11 new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 2,362.

 

The new deaths include:

  • Fraser Health: five
  • Interior Health: two
  • Northern Health: four

There have been no new health-care facility outbreaks, for a total of five facilities with ongoing outbreaks, including:

 

long-term care:

  • George Derby Centre (Fraser Health); and
  • Ponderosa Lodge (Interior Health)

acute care:

  • Ridge Meadows Hospital (Fraser Health); and
  • St. Paul's Hospital (Vancouver Coastal Health)

assisted or independent living:

  • Laurier Manor (Northern Health)

From Nov. 26 to Dec. 2, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 58.3% of cases and from Nov. 19 to Dec. 2, they accounted for 66.1% of hospitalizations.

 

Past week cases (Nov. 26 to Dec. 2) – Total 2,473

  • Not vaccinated: 1,337 (54.1%)
  • Partially vaccinated: 104 (4.2%)
  • Fully vaccinated: 1,032 (41.7%)

Past two weeks cases hospitalized (Nov. 19 to Dec. 2) – Total 239

  • Not vaccinated: 147 (61.5%)
  • Partially vaccinated: 11 (4.6%)
  • Fully vaccinated: 81 (33.9%)

Past week, cases per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Nov. 26 to Dec. 2)    

  • Not vaccinated: 176.8
  • Partially vaccinated: 47.4
  • Fully vaccinated: 23.0

Past two weeks, cases hospitalized per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Nov. 19 to Dec. 2)

  • Not vaccinated: 31.7
  • Partially vaccinated: 7.9
  • Fully vaccinated: 1.8

Since December 2020, the Province has administered 8,811,162 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, AstraZeneca and Pfizer Pediatric COVID-19 vaccines.

 

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2021HLTH0076-002339

  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/5/2021 at 12:08 PM, Warhippy said:

Who is this clown you keep peddling?  Ice struggled to watch a few if his gripes but he's just so blatantly biased and attention seeking it's sad

 

Like a dollar store Shapiro

 

Kulinski is a left winger, very opposite from Shapiro.

 

Is this comparison coming up because he's an 'internet' news source / commentator?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/5/2021 at 4:44 PM, stawns said:

I think you're just the kind of person who needs a villian, someone to blame for things beyond your control.   

 

If the UN sits around and talks about how bad the west is, maybe those of us in the west need to.take a long, hard, honest look at how we behave on this planet we share with a few billion other human beings.

 

I think someone on Twitter already made the point that white people have destroyed the planet, and are the root of all evil, so maybe the UN is on to something - if they actually think this way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

 

Kulinski is a left winger, very opposite from Shapiro.

 

Is this comparison coming up because he's an 'internet' news source / commentator?

 

On 12/5/2021 at 3:51 PM, Warhippy said:

Here's his playlist

 

How is he not

 

https://youtube.com/c/SecularTalk

 

On 12/5/2021 at 4:11 PM, Tortorella's Rant said:

That's not an answer

That's all I've got to say on the matter

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For the vegetarian friends out there.  

 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/covid-vaccine-canada-medicago-efficacy-1.6275759

Canada's first homegrown COVID-19 vaccine shows high efficacy

 

Trial occurred before omicron variant; Health Canada submission is imminent

 

medicago-greenhouse.jpg
With Phase 3 trial results in for their plant-based COVID-19 vaccine, Medicago, a biopharmaceutical company headquartered in Quebec City, and British-American vaccine giant GlaxoSmithKline are gearing up for their final regulatory submission to Health Canada. (Turgut Yeter/CBC)
794
comments

Canada's first homegrown COVID-19 vaccine has shown high efficacy against infection during Phase 3 clinical trials, the drugmakers behind the plant-based shot reported Tuesday, fuelling hopes it could soon get a stamp of approval for use.

Medicago, a biopharmaceutical company headquartered in Quebec City, and British-American vaccine giant GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) are now gearing up for their final regulatory submission to Health Canada.

 

The vaccine's overall efficacy rate against all virus variants studied was 71 per cent, with a higher efficacy rate of 75 per cent against COVID-19 infections of any severity from the dominant delta variant, the companies said in a news release.

  • Have a coronavirus question or news tip for CBC News? Email: covid@cbc.ca or join us live in the comments now.

The results followed a global, Phase 3, placebo-controlled study of the two-dose vaccine that was launched last March. The newly discovered omicron variant — recently confirmed in various countries around the world, including Canada — was not circulating during the trial period.

If licensed in this country, the shot would be the first COVID-19 vaccine using virus-like particle technology and the first plant-based vaccine ever approved for human use, Brian Ward, medical officer for Medicago, said during a recent interview with CBC News.

"This would be a first for the world," he added, "not just for Quebec and Canada."

The shots use Medicago's plant-derived, virus-like particles — which resemble the coronavirus behind COVID-19 but don't contain its genetic material — and also contain an adjuvant from GSK to help boost the immune response.

In the vaccine's Phase 3 trial, no severe cases of COVID-19 were reported in the vaccinated group, the release notes. No related serious adverse events were reported either, and reactions to the shots were "generally mild to moderate and transient," with symptoms lasting, on average, only one to three days.

"I think there will be an important need for our vaccine, both to increase the number of doses available for those who haven't had any vaccines yet, but also possibly for those who need a booster dose," Ward said.

 
medicago-lab.jpg
Canada’s first homegrown COVID-19 vaccine has shown high efficacy against infection during Phase 3 clinical trials, the drugmakers behind the plant-based shot reported Tuesday. (Turgut Yeter/CBC)

Results are promising, immunologist says

National Advisory Committee on Immunization working group member Matthew Miller, an immunologist at McMaster University in Hamilton who is working on developing a different type of vaccine for COVID-19, said the Medicago trial results are promising on both efficacy and safety.

He noted that the public information was so far limited to a news release, much like previous announcements from other vaccine manufacturers.

The trial itself was also hindered by time constraints and didn't specifically break down the level of protection against severe illness. That's because there were too few serious COVID-19 cases in the placebo arm and none in the vaccine arm, limiting the ability to draw strong conclusions, Miller said.

"Nevertheless, I think we can expect that with 75 per cent protection against any infection, you would expect even stronger protection against severe illness; that's been universally true of every single other vaccine," he added.

"The durability of that response, I think, is still a question that we'd have to wait and see."

The Phase 2 portion of the trial at multiple sites in Canada and the United States involved a mix of healthy adults, those with comorbidities and seniors over the age of 65, while the Phase 3 portion expanded to more than 24,000 participants in various countries.

If approved for use, the shot may help jump-start Canada's sluggish vaccine production sector, said Miller, who has no current affiliation with Medicago but previously sat on a panel advising the company on influenza vaccines.

Canada lost its vaccine manufacturing capacity over time, but that could change with several Canadian COVID-19 vaccines currently in development, said Lakshmi Krishnan, director general of human health therapeutics at the National Research Council of Canada.

"We hope that in due time, all of that will align and we will be able to produce vaccines in Canada," she said.

Trial looked at range of variants

Medicago is now one of the first to share trial results on how well its vaccine works against a range of variants, Ward said, unlike those earlier in the pandemic, which focused on the earliest strain of SARS-CoV-2.

The trial showed nearly 89 per cent efficacy against the gamma variant, with no cases of alpha, lambda or mu variants observed in the vaccinated group, while 12 cases were observed in the placebo arm.

While there's concern over the omicron variant and whether it may evade some level of vaccine- or infection-based immunity, Ward said the company plans to get that data for its vaccine as soon as possible.

"The goalposts have moved," Ward said.

Full results of the Phase 3 study will be released in a peer-reviewed publication, Medicago's release noted.

If Health Canada gives the green light to the vaccine, it would be the fifth COVID-19 shot approved for use in Canada, alongside those from Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson.

  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

For the vegetarian friends out there.  

 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/covid-vaccine-canada-medicago-efficacy-1.6275759

Canada's first homegrown COVID-19 vaccine shows high efficacy

 

Trial occurred before omicron variant; Health Canada submission is imminent

 

medicago-greenhouse.jpg

With Phase 3 trial results in for their plant-based COVID-19 vaccine, Medicago, a biopharmaceutical company headquartered in Quebec City, and British-American vaccine giant GlaxoSmithKline are gearing up for their final regulatory submission to Health Canada. (Turgut Yeter/CBC)

794
comments

Canada's first homegrown COVID-19 vaccine has shown high efficacy against infection during Phase 3 clinical trials, the drugmakers behind the plant-based shot reported Tuesday, fuelling hopes it could soon get a stamp of approval for use.

Medicago, a biopharmaceutical company headquartered in Quebec City, and British-American vaccine giant GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) are now gearing up for their final regulatory submission to Health Canada.

 

The vaccine's overall efficacy rate against all virus variants studied was 71 per cent, with a higher efficacy rate of 75 per cent against COVID-19 infections of any severity from the dominant delta variant, the companies said in a news release.

  • Have a coronavirus question or news tip for CBC News? Email: covid@cbc.ca or join us live in the comments now.

The results followed a global, Phase 3, placebo-controlled study of the two-dose vaccine that was launched last March. The newly discovered omicron variant — recently confirmed in various countries around the world, including Canada — was not circulating during the trial period.

If licensed in this country, the shot would be the first COVID-19 vaccine using virus-like particle technology and the first plant-based vaccine ever approved for human use, Brian Ward, medical officer for Medicago, said during a recent interview with CBC News.

"This would be a first for the world," he added, "not just for Quebec and Canada."

The shots use Medicago's plant-derived, virus-like particles — which resemble the coronavirus behind COVID-19 but don't contain its genetic material — and also contain an adjuvant from GSK to help boost the immune response.

In the vaccine's Phase 3 trial, no severe cases of COVID-19 were reported in the vaccinated group, the release notes. No related serious adverse events were reported either, and reactions to the shots were "generally mild to moderate and transient," with symptoms lasting, on average, only one to three days.

"I think there will be an important need for our vaccine, both to increase the number of doses available for those who haven't had any vaccines yet, but also possibly for those who need a booster dose," Ward said.

 
medicago-lab.jpg
Canada’s first homegrown COVID-19 vaccine has shown high efficacy against infection during Phase 3 clinical trials, the drugmakers behind the plant-based shot reported Tuesday. (Turgut Yeter/CBC)

Results are promising, immunologist says

National Advisory Committee on Immunization working group member Matthew Miller, an immunologist at McMaster University in Hamilton who is working on developing a different type of vaccine for COVID-19, said the Medicago trial results are promising on both efficacy and safety.

He noted that the public information was so far limited to a news release, much like previous announcements from other vaccine manufacturers.

The trial itself was also hindered by time constraints and didn't specifically break down the level of protection against severe illness. That's because there were too few serious COVID-19 cases in the placebo arm and none in the vaccine arm, limiting the ability to draw strong conclusions, Miller said.

"Nevertheless, I think we can expect that with 75 per cent protection against any infection, you would expect even stronger protection against severe illness; that's been universally true of every single other vaccine," he added.

"The durability of that response, I think, is still a question that we'd have to wait and see."

The Phase 2 portion of the trial at multiple sites in Canada and the United States involved a mix of healthy adults, those with comorbidities and seniors over the age of 65, while the Phase 3 portion expanded to more than 24,000 participants in various countries.

If approved for use, the shot may help jump-start Canada's sluggish vaccine production sector, said Miller, who has no current affiliation with Medicago but previously sat on a panel advising the company on influenza vaccines.

Canada lost its vaccine manufacturing capacity over time, but that could change with several Canadian COVID-19 vaccines currently in development, said Lakshmi Krishnan, director general of human health therapeutics at the National Research Council of Canada.

"We hope that in due time, all of that will align and we will be able to produce vaccines in Canada," she said.

Trial looked at range of variants

Medicago is now one of the first to share trial results on how well its vaccine works against a range of variants, Ward said, unlike those earlier in the pandemic, which focused on the earliest strain of SARS-CoV-2.

The trial showed nearly 89 per cent efficacy against the gamma variant, with no cases of alpha, lambda or mu variants observed in the vaccinated group, while 12 cases were observed in the placebo arm.

While there's concern over the omicron variant and whether it may evade some level of vaccine- or infection-based immunity, Ward said the company plans to get that data for its vaccine as soon as possible.

"The goalposts have moved," Ward said.

Full results of the Phase 3 study will be released in a peer-reviewed publication, Medicago's release noted.

If Health Canada gives the green light to the vaccine, it would be the fifth COVID-19 shot approved for use in Canada, alongside those from Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson.

this is a really exciting technology. 

 

I think folks that may have had hesitations around things like fetal cell use would be more open to this - do you think thats correct @erkayloomeh

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

 

I think someone on Twitter already made the point that white people have destroyed the planet, and are the root of all evil, so maybe the UN is on to something - if they actually think this way.

Whomever stated that "white" people have destroyed the planet is a waste of space and not worth listening to at all. That kind of divisive and poorly informed thinking is so prevalent these days, and sadly is all over major media outlets as well.

 

Numerous countries, many that don't have predominant Caucasian populations, release pollution into the atmosphere, with China taking first prize. Does that mean all Chinese people are evil litterers? Only in the undeveloped mind of some idiot who would rather point fingers based on the flavor of the day instead of actually understanding that humanity in general are the problem and not merely one subsection of homo homo sapien. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...