The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

38 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I'm aware, but our Typhoid Mary hasn't popped up yet.  Might be time to seriously curtail travel to ensure she doesn't come knocking.

On a side note

When people speak of potential threats to economic development, every single possible checkmark is being taken care of for a basic Pest and Swot analysis.

A major epidemic coupled with ongoing political instability in America and the Middle East coupled with trade wars and record high debt....might be time to start stockpiling for that doomsday nonsense people speak of

Image result for doomsday preppers"

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I have zero issue with any government temporarily halting travel from China, or at the very least the Wuhan region. Frankly, after how vague the Chinese government was with SARS, I don't trust them to deal with this effectively. Is China that lax on dealing with contagions and viral pathogens, or is this a symptom of way too many people in one place?

Regardless, Canada needs to grow a set, and actually screen for sickness at entry checkpoints rather than taking someone's word for it.

It's a waste of resources to screen people. China needs to do the right thing and shut down their border until there is a handle on this virus. We know why they won't though. Shutting down travel hurts business and we can't have that. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

It's a waste of resources to screen people. China needs to do the right thing and shut down their border until there is a handle on this virus. We know why they won't though. Shutting down travel hurts business and we can't have that. 

A country has to have some sort of system to ensure that they don't get a whole slew of infected pouring in and spreading the virus. You do make a very important point that the best way to stop this is by the country of origin taking responsibility and closing their borders to sort it out. Sadly, like you said, greed is the motivating factor in modern society, and China is not immune.

15 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

So you're going to shut down highways and all roads? That makes zero sense, but thanks for the substantive edit....

and you wish to restrict travel from china

when that is already much too late

neither suggestion has a lot of value

i agree

Edited by coastal.view
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

and you wish to restrict travel from china

when that is already much too late

Based on what?

15 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

neither suggestion has a lot of value

i agree

Great input. Isn't there a haiku competition that you should be editing other people's poems in?

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'd hope they'd look at whatever ticket they have and determine where they're traveling from.

Some people might not fly direct from China, could be a layover. If they see a Chinese person looking a little under the weather I have no problem with them screening them to be safe.  

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Some people might not fly direct from China, could be a layover. If they see a Chinese person looking a little under the weather I have no problem with them screening them to be safe.  

Same here. Public safety should be considered above all else when a virus is killing people.