The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

8 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

You need sleep, Me. I know it’s unnerving, to say the least, but you don’t get sleep, and keep watching news coverage, it may have an effect on your mental health. 

Take care of yourself. Rest. Eat. Go for a walk, maintaining at least 6 feet from anyone else. 

THIS.

I’m sleeping bud. Thank you for your care in the matter.

I just cannot tolerate stupidity and ignorance.

Edited by Me_
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Me_ said:

No man. I gotta protect myself and my loved ones and everyone else from the imbeciles who aren’t cooperating.

who is not cooperating?  And how do you stop them or protect your family by watching so much TV?

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, samurai said:

who is not cooperating?  And how do you stop them or protect your family by watching so much TV?

Knowledge, cooperation, isolation, information, cleaning.

Not much else you can do but spread information. 

Spreading nonchalance doesn’t do anything.

The general understanding was no more gatherings of more than 1,000 people. Then it went to 500. Then to 250. Then to 50. Then to 10. Now to 5.

Do you think anyone has a grasp on this?

No one has a grasp on this.

Of course no one should be panicking. But everyone should do everything to keep up to date with this absolutely devastating virus.

Edited by Me_
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Me_ said:

THIS.

I’m sleeping bud. Thank you for your care in the matter.

I just cannot tolerate stupidity and ignorance.

No worries. Neither can I, Me. 

We’ve stocked up and I’ve taken measures to keep my household safe. 

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, samurai said:

There are many. Our playgrounds are locked down. Still there are lots of parents with their children playing there all day long. You are not supposed to have gatherings, still I know of more than one private party. Everbody talks about it, but there is no real urgency to be felt out here.

47 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Thanks, Dad. Always helpful to tell us what we SHOULD have done. Hindsight is clear and perfect, especially from Japan, which has always been a nation of compliant, xenophobic germaphobes stuck on islands with a huge moat all the way around them. Japanese standards of cleanliness are probably the best in the world, and their organization to act quickly in times of crisis is without peer anywhere in the world. Japan is the polar opposite of China or India or much of southeast Asia, where using a public toilet is the most disgusting experience imaginable and where unrefrigerated meat and other food is displayed in pubic markets in the most unhygienic conditions I've ever seen. 

The fact is that Canada has employed a modicum of caution in trying to get the right answers and right science before plunging headlong into knee jerk reactionism. Canadians are not like the Japanese; we have to be convinced an idea is good and unlike Japan, we don't immediately comply with the edicts of the government. I am not saying the Canadian way is better or even preferable, but it is the reality with which we are faced. Canada is doing a better job than the US, the UK, Mexico, Brazil and other nations with populist leaders who have sought to diminish the threat and shrug it off as no worse than the flu. Is it enough? Probably not, but it is better than the American, British and Mexican approaches by a long shot. In the meantime we will try to get through this, and will do so in spite of being shamed by you.

a racist and nationalist post gets upvotes - not surprising.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, joe-max said:

There are many. Our playgrounds are locked down. Still there are lots of parents with their children playing there all day long. You are not supposed to have gatherings, still I know of more than one private party. Everbody talks about it, but there is no real urgency to be felt out here.

There were 15 clusters identified where I live.  Playgrounds were not one nor children.   However, places that involved confined spaces or facilities widely shared were: live houses, drinking establishments, sports clubs, conference symposiums  and elderly care.  So the private party thing is probably a bad decision to make.  

53 minutes ago, Toews said:

You will have to qualify why. Its the same virus, it just arrived earlier in Japan than it did here. The poster hasn't hidden the fact that his perspective is from Japan/Asia. I don't see him trying to mislead anyone. 

He doesn’t have to qualify why.
Japan is Japan.

Canada is Canada.

Japan can fix a sink hole downtown Tokyo overnight.

Canada has to assess the situation, derive a plan at city hall, sign all the paperwork,  safety the hell out of the hole, bother not traffic while fixing the hole, give breaks to union workers, and maybe have it fixed in a week.

• Haha 2
  • Wat 1

11 minutes ago, bree2 said:

some on here saying oh don't stress and others saying its alright for people with low immune systems and pensioners its okay if they get the virus. I am shocked over this thing, everyone needs to do their part in staying informed! I have a low immune system and I am also a pensioner on a fixed income. we get paid once a month and  so we cannot stock up  on food and tp . I am sick of people stockpiling and not thinking of their neighbors. I just hope next week when we can go and shop, there will be enough food .  my grandson has a birthday today and well it was cancelled, he was in tears, kids are having a hard time understanding and thats who I feel bad about. the children!

First, you shouldn't get stressed that is not bad advice.  Panic buying always happens when these events occur.  The gov't should have been on it right from the start.   Anyway the problem is not supply chains but rather hoarding.  From experience I can tell you that in about a week or so items will start reappearing and stores will limit purchases.   And Canada is not Italy so don't assume what is happening there is going to happen in Canada.  

Edited by samurai

40 minutes ago, Me_ said:

I have four rolls bud.

It is because I watch all of this stuff that I’m not panicking. But there has got to be a level of awareness.

Younger and younger people are dying. If you think ha I’m young it won’t affect me, well, Italy says differently as 20 and 30 year olds are getting sick now. And last week it was 40-45 year olds. 

It’s either mutating or taking longer to hit younger people.

The UK revealed live yesterday that babies are being born with Corovid-19. 

Spain has declared that Corovid-19 stays on pavement for 9 days.

You could show no signs, have a test come back negative, and infect thousands with weaker immune systems by proxy.

This is no joke. It’s never time to panic. But complete cooperation and complete awareness of what’s going on is imperative.

1 baby, 1, and they don't know if the baby had it before birth or if it picked up the virus afterwards.   

As for the tests, they've been looking into where the virus hides (spinal fluid/central nervous system) and I'm sure we'll be hearing about new ways they've come up with detecting it as it's in hiding soon enough.  

The world has really only know about this and been working on it since February. Sure, the virus is moving fast, but our reactions are moving pretty fast as well. 1st human vaccine trials? It took a year or so for that to happen with SARS.  

I'm in total agreement with your last sentence.

• Cheers 3

12 minutes ago, bree2 said:

some on here saying oh don't stress and others saying its alright for people with low immune systems and pensioners its okay if they get the virus. I am shocked over this thing, everyone needs to do their part in staying informed! I have a low immune system and I am also a pensioner on a fixed income. we get paid once a month and  so we cannot stock up  on food and tp . I am sick of people stockpiling and not thinking of their neighbors. I just hope next week when we can go and shop, there will be enough food .  my grandson has a birthday today and well it was cancelled, he was in tears, kids are having a hard time understanding and thats who I feel bad about. the children!

The government, has once again, confirmed that the food supply is not in any trouble.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Me_ said:

He doesn’t have to qualify why.
Japan is Japan.

Canada is Canada.

Japan can fix a sink hole downtown Tokyo overnight.

Canada has to assess the situation, derive a plan at city hall, sign all the paperwork,  safety the hell out of the hole, bother not traffic while fixing the hole, give breaks to union workers, and maybe have it fixed in a week.

I know it's a made up example but let's not be dramatic.

It would take at least a month to fix in Canada and the contract would be handed out to the mayor's brother in law.

• Haha 3