The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

2 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Yep, we're at the same point you guys are....I can't see this improving over the next while.

Thanks, it seems the easy way for people to carry on, business as usual is to not get tested so they can "self monitor" without guidelines.  I liked it better when they had to stay away for X amount of days and until symptom free.  Now I foresee a whole lot of "no, really...I feel fine".

This, the bolded. Have we not learned a single frickin' thing from over 2 years of the PHO counting on the entirety of the general public to 'do the right thing'. To 'use their better judgement' and here we are...at the &^@#ing mercy once again, of those who don't give a rat's ass about the rest of us.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I've been trying to find the rationale for this change, and its not all that clear. I have to assume its based on everyone getting exposed sooner than later. 

its baffling when you consider keeping schools open is their priority.

On a related not, there is a lot of chatter amogst teachers about where things are going to go in Armstrong next week with the staff that walked out citing unsafe working conditions regarding the lack of masks in the school.  If the government forces them back into those conditions and they refuse, things could get heated with the BCTF.  CBC was interviewing parents at the school and the prevailing thought of the parents who exempted their kids was "we're over covid, done with it, time to move on". Teachers aren't going to respond favourably to that

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I understand it's based on how difficult it is to keep kids home from school (especially with working parents), but is that fair to school staff?  How's it going to be when we're so short staffed that everyone has to stay home?  

I'm just guessing, but I would think their modelling must be saying we're all going to be exposed, and soon, so the mitigations wouldn't be useful anyway. 

If thats not it, then I don't know.

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

its baffling when you consider keeping schools open is their priority.

On a related not, there is a lot of chatter amogst teachers about where things are going to go in Armstrong next week with the staff that walked out citing unsafe working conditions regarding the lack of masks in the school.  If the government forces them back into those conditions and they refuse, things could get heated with the BCTF.  CBC was interviewing parents at the school and the prevailing thought of the parents who exempted their kids was "we're over covid, done with it, time to move on". Teachers aren't going to respond favourably to that

I hope they plan on clarifying all this tomorrow. Through all of this I've been able to understand Henry's reasoning even if I didn't necessarily agree 100%. Not sure what this is. 

• Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I'm just guessing, but I would think their modelling must be saying we're all going to be exposed, and soon, so the mitigations wouldn't be useful anyway. 

Yet we're at 50% capacity at hockey games?  Seems that'd be a good way to test things out and get this thing over with if it's "everyone's going to be exposed".  To pick and choose seems a little counter productive.

I've been on board with Dix and Henry all along...but I stopped believing them a few weeks ago and feel that, at this point, they're just trying to please certain groups of people (possibly at the expense of others).

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I hope they plan on clarifying all this tomorrow. Through all of this I've been able to understand Henry's reasoning even if I didn't necessarily agree 100%. Not sure what this is. 

they seem to be flying in the face of Dr Tam, who says people are infectious for 10 days

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, JM_ said:

This article is a good summation of the situation we are now in and what we should be doing IMO.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2022/jan/08/should-australians-be-resigned-to-getting-omicron-absolutely-not

Totally irresponsible of the NSW health minister saying we are all going to get.

• Cheers 2
  • Sad 2

We're tired of this crap.  You guys deal with it yourselves from here on in. We're all going to get it anyhow, GO time, party on.  Good luck.

-Dix, Henry, NSW Health Minister

Oh hey, but thanks for the couple of free unreliable rapid tests that you don't really care if we use or not...they're garbage anyhow.  Awesome.

• Cheers 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

https://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/czech-folk-singer-dies-after-intentionally-catching-covid-19-1.5747744?cid=sm%3Atrueanthem%3A{{campaignname}}%3Atwitterpost&taid=61e9989d08a5450001d32631&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

Czech folk singer dies after intentionally catching COVID-19

Brooklyn Neustaeter

image.jpg

Jan Rek, son of singer Hana Horka, says his mother deliberately contracted COVID-19 so she could obtain a health pass.

The son of a Czech folk singer says his mother, who was opposed to getting vaccinated against COVID-19, has died after she deliberately contracted the disease.

Hana Horka, of the folk band Asonance, died on Sunday after intentionally exposing herself to the coronavirus at home, her son Jan Rek told CNN affiliate CNN Prima News. She was 57.

Rek says his mother voluntarily exposed herself to COVID-19 after he and her husband, who are both vaccinated, caught it before Christmas.

Rek said Horka wanted to get sick so she would not be required to get vaccinated.

"My mom wanted to get sick so she gets the COVID pass," Rek said. "She said to me, and even publicly, she wants to get infected so she is done with COVID."

In the Czech Republic, proof of vaccination or a recent COVID-19 infection is required for travel, accessing cultural and sports facilities, and for visiting bars and restaurants.

Rek said his mother was getting incorrect information about the virus "from her social circle," and was posting anti-vaccination sentiments online.

He added that Horka was "ignoring on purpose some facts and comments that were disproving her arguments."

"She wanted to get sick on purpose," Rek said.

While Rek said that his mother "wasn't extremely against vaccination," she was open to the idea of choice.

"She was living by even at times unrelated information concerning health in general, but there has always been this underlying thought that nature will take care of everything and only we know ourselves the best," he said.

Rek said he is sharing the story to warn others about the risk the Omicron variant poses to those who are unvaccinated.

• Huggy Bear 1

10 hours ago, -DLC- said:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/czech-folk-singer-dies-after-intentionally-catching-covid-19-1.5747744?cid=sm%3Atrueanthem%3A{{campaignname}}%3Atwitterpost&taid=61e9989d08a5450001d32631&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

Czech folk singer dies after intentionally catching COVID-19

Brooklyn Neustaeter

image.jpg

Jan Rek, son of singer Hana Horka, says his mother deliberately contracted COVID-19 so she could obtain a health pass.

The son of a Czech folk singer says his mother, who was opposed to getting vaccinated against COVID-19, has died after she deliberately contracted the disease.

Hana Horka, of the folk band Asonance, died on Sunday after intentionally exposing herself to the coronavirus at home, her son Jan Rek told CNN affiliate CNN Prima News. She was 57.

Rek says his mother voluntarily exposed herself to COVID-19 after he and her husband, who are both vaccinated, caught it before Christmas.

Rek said Horka wanted to get sick so she would not be required to get vaccinated.

"My mom wanted to get sick so she gets the COVID pass," Rek said. "She said to me, and even publicly, she wants to get infected so she is done with COVID."

In the Czech Republic, proof of vaccination or a recent COVID-19 infection is required for travel, accessing cultural and sports facilities, and for visiting bars and restaurants.

Rek said his mother was getting incorrect information about the virus "from her social circle," and was posting anti-vaccination sentiments online.

He added that Horka was "ignoring on purpose some facts and comments that were disproving her arguments."

"She wanted to get sick on purpose," Rek said.

While Rek said that his mother "wasn't extremely against vaccination," she was open to the idea of choice.

"She was living by even at times unrelated information concerning health in general, but there has always been this underlying thought that nature will take care of everything and only we know ourselves the best," he said.

Rek said he is sharing the story to warn others about the risk the Omicron variant poses to those who are unvaccinated.

And yet again we read another story of exactly why allowing antivaxxers to use previous infection as a method of getting a passport to access restricted places is a very bad idea.  This is exactly what the whole “but natural immunity” argument results in.  

• Vintage 1

11 hours ago, -DLC- said:

Yet we're at 50% capacity at hockey games?  Seems that'd be a good way to test things out and get this thing over with if it's "everyone's going to be exposed".  To pick and choose seems a little counter productive.

I've been on board with Dix and Henry all along...but I stopped believing them a few weeks ago and feel that, at this point, they're just trying to please certain groups of people (possibly at the expense of others).

I stopped believing them when they called an election.

I still follow guidelines just have no faith in the leadership.

It's all about money and power. Health is secondary. 

• Thanks 1
      • Upvote 1