The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

13 hours ago, -DLC- said:

Yet we're at 50% capacity at hockey games?  Seems that'd be a good way to test things out and get this thing over with if it's "everyone's going to be exposed".  To pick and choose seems a little counter productive.

I've been on board with Dix and Henry all along...but I stopped believing them a few weeks ago and feel that, at this point, they're just trying to please certain groups of people (possibly at the expense of others).

yeah I'm wondering what the heck as well. I guess we'll find out soon.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

And yet again we read another story of exactly why allowing antivaxxers to use previous infection as a method of getting a passport to access restricted places is a very bad idea.  This is exactly what the whole “but natural immunity” argument results in.  

One of the concerning things about Omicron is that the immunity it generates “naturally” is that it doesn’t appear to give much immunity to Delta and earlier forms of COVID. 
Part of entering an endemic phase is that it becomes dominant and wipes the older more deadly versions of the virus away.  It still may do that though because of the high immunization rates but it is concerning that we still may see a return in Delta in the people with only “natural immunity” to Omicron.

If Omicron is the second or third time someone has caught COVID or they are immunized this isn’t much of a concern though. 

• Thanks 3
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Ilunga said:

@JM_ 

Here is some more information on thought processes.

https://www.verywellmind.com/negative-bias-4589618

It does take a conscious effort on my part to look for the good, in a situation or an individual. 

You will find what you look for, both positives and negatives, it just about percentages.

good article, thanks. Extreme situations like the pandemic seem to bring out a lot of both in folks. 

• Cheers 1

Haven't watched it yet.  Free to stream today and maybe tomorrow.  Shared on the Coronavirus subreddit. 

THE FIRST WAVE

With exclusive access inside one of New York’s hardest hit hospital systems during the terrifying first four months of the pandemic, Oscar®-nominated and Emmy® Award-winning director Matthew Heineman’s THE FIRST WAVE spotlights the everyday heroes at the epicenter of COVID-19 as they come together to fight one of the greatest threats the world has ever encountered.

NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC DOCUMENTARY FILMS

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/pages/topic/the-first-wave-documentary?cmpid=org=ngp::mc=vanity::src=ngp::cmp=FirstWave_DMED::add=vanityurl&utm_source=reddit.com#a5db4430-f9c4-4729-bfa3-2ea08519b5be

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Haven't watched it yet.  Free to stream today and maybe tomorrow.  Shared on the Coronavirus subreddit. 

THE FIRST WAVE

With exclusive access inside one of New York’s hardest hit hospital systems during the terrifying first four months of the pandemic, Oscar®-nominated and Emmy® Award-winning director Matthew Heineman’s THE FIRST WAVE spotlights the everyday heroes at the epicenter of COVID-19 as they come together to fight one of the greatest threats the world has ever encountered.

NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC DOCUMENTARY FILMS

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/pages/topic/the-first-wave-documentary?cmpid=org=ngp::mc=vanity::src=ngp::cmp=FirstWave_DMED::add=vanityurl&utm_source=reddit.com#a5db4430-f9c4-4729-bfa3-2ea08519b5be

Thanks. I have watched 10 minutes of this so far and it is extremely powerful. Brought to tears in the first 5. :(

• Cheers 2

On 1/19/2022 at 1:11 PM, stawns said:

And delta is still surging, it hasn't gone anywhere and the UK doesn't have a great vax rate.

I wouldnt say surging more like dwindling, After two vaccines, a booster, and 50% of people catching covid at some point, the general population should have a strong enough immune response to fight covid. Once Omicron is on the down swing restrictions need to be lifted and people need to go back to living. Most countries have already began this including Israel which has been one of the more strict countries through this pandemic. At least until the next major variant pops up. At some point the stress and unhealthly behaviors of this lockdown will start trading years off the young and health for those of the sick and elderly.   

• Sad 1

https://www.fraserhealth.ca/health-topics-a-to-z/coronavirus/testing#.YeroYyd6o0F

From that link 

What to do if you have mild symptoms and testing is not recommended

Stay home until you feel well enough to return to your regular activities. Avoid non-essential high-risk settings such as long-term care facilities and individuals at higher risk for severe illness for 10 days after the start of your symptoms. Mild symptoms are symptoms that can be managed at home. Learn about how to manage your symptoms.

BC has now followed rhe UK and removed minimum isolation rules for adults and kids with mild symptoms   and FULLY VAXXED 

Healthy adults and kids with mild symptoms AND FULLY VAXXED re not suggested to be tested and can return to full activities when they feel well enough to do so.  Only caveat is to avoid high risk situations such as long term care

So this means Miller and demko should be able to play even of contagious so long as they are up to it as they are fully vaxxed 

Employers can also force covid positive staff to work to perform light duties if the employee is well enough to do anything

Kinda makes BC's new 5 paid sick days a joke and a waste of time now

This is the let er rip method and I strongly suggest anyone not vaccinated di so ASAP as contracting covid is now 100% certainty for every person ( unless your immune )

Also vaccine passports and mandates make zero sense and have no purpose

With the decision to let er rip and allow covid positive people attend school and most work sites there is absolutely no point in any mandates or workplace safety guidelines around covid ( other than in health care )

I don't agree with letting er rip but if this is there decision then might  as well just end all safety measures? Outside of health ) and get on with it

Really if covid positive people are allowed into a gym or rogers for example .... what difference does it make if that person who is positive is vaxxed or not ?  Outside of health work sites  vax passports are now pretty meaningless 

I suppose this will force herd immunity very quickly 

Edited by iwtl
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, 4petesake said:

Thanks. I have watched 10 minutes of this so far and it is extremely powerful. Brought to tears in the first 5. :(

Ya.  Stories like what are presented in the doc have been happening in our hospitals for almost 2 years.  

I found the Cuomo soundbites a "nice" reminder of how front and centre he was knowing what he was doing in the background. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I wouldnt say surging more like dwindling, After two vaccines, a booster, and 50% of people catching covid at some point, the general population should have a strong enough immune response to fight covid. Once Omicron is on the down swing restrictions need to be lifted and people need to go back to living. Most countries have already began this including Israel which has been one of the more strict countries through this pandemic. At least until the next major variant pops up. At some point the stress and unhealthly behaviors of this lockdown will start trading years off the young and health for those of the sick and elderly.   

If you consider omicron makes up 95% of cases, that would mean delta makes up the other 5%.  Because we're not testing, the estimates are that the real infection number is 3-4x the reported number, that puts us around 9-10K per day.  That means that delta is running at about 500 cases per day.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

If you consider omicron makes up 95% of cases, that would mean delta makes up the other 5%.  Because we're not testing, the estimates are that the real infection number is 3-4x the reported number, that puts us around 9-10K per day.  That means that delta is running at about 500 cases per day.

It will continue to decrease though as omicron is the dominate strain now, which is great news are Delta has a much higher chance at causing severe illness.  

• Sad 1

During Dr Henry's press conference now a reporter just asked " the sudden move to lift isolation requirements for vaxxed does mean we are now endemic - why the sudden shift'

Dr Henry said we are not endemic just yet but moving that way. 

I've supported her all along but not on this. The exact second covid positive people were greenighted to not isolate ( vaxxed ) that is the definition of endemic. As soon as its legalized that covid positive people are permitted around us and like a common cold that's just a risk of being around people ..... its endemic 

I disagree with this move at this time and BCs return to "pretty please do the right thing" is pandering to the vocal minority 

I'm all for easing restrictions but on the singular issue of now forcing people to qcceept known covid positive people in our workspaces and public space is the wrong move 

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, stawns said:

Posted tuesday in this thread.Well, here is a link regarding the split between variants.

As of Jan 14/22

http://www.bccdc.ca/Health-Info-Site/Documents/VoC/VoC_Weekly_20220114.pdf

"As shown in Figure 1, the main circulating variants are Delta and Omicron, respectively accounting for about 6.6% and 93.4% of positive specimens sequenced, with spatial variability"

I'm not a mathematician, but 6.6% looks a little over 3x , the 2% that was mentioned.

This variant split info should be updated later today- says it happens every Friday.