The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

I’m glad to see Dr. Bonnie starting to share that we need to shift our approach. Omnicron is a blessing. My wife has it right now, and so far it really has been just like a cold for her. Time to begin opening this province and country back up, not to mention get rid of the airport testing - so redundant especially when truly sick people are having trouble accessing PCR tests right now.

23 minutes ago, Slegr said:

I’m glad to see Dr. Bonnie starting to share that we need to shift our approach. Omnicron is a blessing. My wife has it right now, and so far it really has been just like a cold for her. Time to begin opening this province and country back up, not to mention get rid of the airport testing - so redundant especially when truly sick people are having trouble accessing PCR tests right now.

Our hospitalization statistics disagree.

• Vintage 2

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

If this is the case then why the f*** even bother with the vaxx passport?  Travel advisories etc?

I've a friend stuck in Mexico because she needs to wait x amount of time and have a clear test to come home.

After today why?

the passport still makes some sense, as it at least tries to protect unvaccinated people from exposure... in theory. In reality its house party time. 

Dunno man, this seems a bit early and a bit odd. Feels a bit political as well. 

• Thanks 2
  • Vintage 1

B.C. COVID-19 pandemic update:

As of Friday, Jan. 21, 2022, 89.4% (4,457,647) of eligible people five and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 83.5% (4,162,591) have received their second dose.

In addition, 92.5% (4,287,719) of eligible people 12 and older have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine, 89.8% (4,162,011) received their second dose and 37.8% (1,754,063) have received a third dose.

Also, 92.9% (4,016,590) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose, 90.3% (3,903,943) received their second dose and 40.5% (1,752,704) have received a third dose.

B.C. is reporting 2,364 new cases of COVID-19, for a total of 308,079 cases in the province.

There are 33,997 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 269,137 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 924 COVID-positive individuals are in hospital and 130 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.

The new/active cases include:

• 686 new cases in Fraser Health
    • Total active cases: 15,768
  • 499 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health
    • Total active cases: 8,121
  • 655 new cases in Interior Health
    • Total active cases: 6,490
  • 190 new cases in Northern Health
    • Total active cases: 1,581
  • 334 new cases in Island Health
    • Total active cases: 2,024
  • no new cases of people who reside outside of Canada
    • Total active cases: 13

In the past 24 hours, nine new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 2,529.

The new deaths include:

• Fraser Health: four
  • Vancouver Coastal Health: four
  • Island Health: one

There have been five new health-care facility outbreaks at Pinegrove Care Centre, Mariposa Gardens (Interior Health), Echo Village, Mount St. Mary Hospital, and Arrowsmith Lodge (Island Health). The outbreak at Chartwell Langley Gardens (Fraser Health) has been declared over, for a total of 62 facilities with ongoing outbreaks, including:

long-term care:

• New Vista Care Centre, George Derby Centre, CareLife Fleetwood, Evergreen Baptist Care Society, Hilton Villa Seniors Community, Morgan Place, Mayfair Senior Living + Care, MSA Manor, Menno Hospital, Buchanan Lodge, St. Michael’s Centre, Eden Care Centre, Lakeshore Care Centre, Baillie House, Bevan Lodge (Fraser Health);
  • Kopernik Lodge, St. Vincent’s Langara (Vancouver Coastal Health);
  • Sun Pointe Village, Lakeview Lodge, Hamlets in Vernon, Brocklehurst Gemstone, Heritage Square, Village at Smith Creek, Westview Place, Pinegrove Care Centre, Mariposa Gardens (Interior Health);
  • Amica Douglas House, Eden Gardens, Glenwarren Lodge, Kiwanis Village Lodge, Saanich Peninsula Hospital - Long Term Care, Oyster Harbour, Dufferin Place, Beacon Hill Villa, Salvation Army Sunset Lodge, James Bay Care Centre, The Heights at Mt. View, Luther Court, Veterans Memorial Lodge, Sunset Lodge, Sidney Care Home, Eagle Ridge Manor, Sidney All Care, Sunrise of Victoria, Comox Valley Seniors Village, Fir Park Village, The Summit, Parkwood Court, Echo Village, Mount St. Mary Hospital and Arrowsmith Lodge (Island Health)

acute care:

• Surrey Memorial Hospital, Abbotsford Regional Hospital, Langley Memorial Hospital, Laurel Place, Burnaby Hospital, Peace Arch Hospital, CareLife Fleetwood, Queen's Park Care Centre (Fraser Health);
  • Kelowna General Hospital (Interior Health); and
  • Royal Jubilee Hospital (Island Health)

assisted or independent living:

• Joseph Creek Care Village (Interior Health)

From Jan. 13-19, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 27.6% of cases. From Jan. 6-19, they accounted for 30.9% of hospitalizations.

Past week cases (Jan. 13-19) - Total 14,267

• Not vaccinated: 3,216 (22.5%)
  • Partially vaccinated: 721 (5.1%)
  • Fully vaccinated: 10,330 (72.4%)

Past two weeks cases hospitalized (Jan. 6-19) - Total 1,193

• Not vaccinated: 315 (26.4%)
  • Partially vaccinated: 54 (4.5%)
  • Fully vaccinated: 824 (69.1%)

Past week, cases per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Jan. 13-19)

• Not vaccinated: 416.8
  • Partially vaccinated: 188.6
  • Fully vaccinated: 223.4

Past two weeks, cases hospitalized per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Jan. 6-19)

• Not vaccinated: 78.6
  • Partially vaccinated: 43.3
  • Fully vaccinated: 17.7

Since December 2020, the Province has administered 10,334,333 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, AstraZeneca and Pfizer Pediatric COVID-19 vaccines.

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2022HLTH0022-000094

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

We're being thrown to the wolves here.  It IS too soon, as the numbers likely represent a very small slice of the actual numbers.

I agree, a few more weeks maybe but not now.

I've been SO sick all week (thought about going to ER twice) but have rapid tested negative twice.  Off work, then working from home (since yesterday...the struggle was real).  I'm expected to go back (into the fire/an elementary school) next week and if I didn't have COVID this week (I'm totally not convinced), I guess that'll be my next adventure.  

Horrible.  I no longer care about updates that are more just trying to pacify us as they make decisions based on anything BUT everyone's health and well being.  Stay calm my ass.  If there's nothing more to see here and we're on our own, take them off the air because it's nothing more than placating.

Sounds like a good night for a couple hot rum toddy’s and a classic Audie Murphy movie, like “Fort Petticoat.”  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Bonnie's policies have not been on par with the rest of the world or even Dr Tam or WHO for a long time. What we should be doing:

-N95 masking for health workers, teachers, and public facing staff

-isolate for 10 days if test positive

-high levels of test to ensure early isolation and limit transmission

-increase ventilation in indoor spaces, or air filtration/purification where not possible

-CO2 monitoring for assessment of indoor risk

We're doing any of it. If the goal was to keep hospitals and schools open, I think we are very close to failing.

I'm wondering how the teachers and students doing last couple days? It's now two weeks Friday, so I expect schools may be close to peak absences if we follow patterns of other countries.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Our hospitalization statistics disagree.

We knew they would go up. Everyone is catching this thing, so of course they’ll go up. But proportionately it’s a very small amount of people. It seems far less severe than delta. That’s a relief for sure.

1 minute ago, Slegr said:

We knew they would go up. Everyone is catching this thing, so of course they’ll go up. But proportionately it’s a very small amount of people. It seems far less severe than delta. That’s a relief for sure.

The hospitals have a finite amount of space.  Slowing the spread of this thing helps prevent them from being overwhelmed.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

One of the concerning things about Omicron is that the immunity it generates “naturally” is that it doesn’t appear to give much immunity to Delta and earlier forms of COVID. 
Part of entering an endemic phase is that it becomes dominant and wipes the older more deadly versions of the virus away.  It still may do that though because of the high immunization rates but it is concerning that we still may see a return in Delta in the people with only “natural immunity” to Omicron.

If Omicron is the second or third time someone has caught COVID or they are immunized this isn’t much of a concern though. 

I have been reading a and listening to a lot information in regards to immunity- from catching Covid- vaccinations and both.

This article contains some good info including some from a longitudinal study out of the UK 

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-omicron-upended-what-we-thought-we-knew-about-natural-immunity/

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

The hospitals have a finite amount of space.  Slowing the spread of this thing helps prevent them from being overwhelmed.

Hospitalization has definitely gone up, but we are (now) counting differently.  We went from counting in hospital because of Covid, to in hospital with Covid.  I’d say the vast majority of those in hospital with Covid are good people who are vaccinated, and are there for other reasons.  They tested positive as part of their admission process.

The people in hospital because of Covid (and taking up important beds) would be almost all adult antivaxxers.  The cowards who refused vaccines and then ran for help.  These are the problem people.  

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Yeah, that’s what has been going on while it was assessed how bad Omnicron is. But we’re apparently hitting the peak, which is good.

21 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Yeah, that’s what has been going on while it was assessed how bad Omnicron is. But we’re apparently hitting the peak, which is good.

"Maybe"  "Hopefully"  That's what they're saying.

+31 in ICU

+23 on ventilators

I'm not convinced it's the right time to ease up.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

+31 in ICU

+23 on ventilators

Well, luckily it’s not my job to convince some of you that it’s time. I’m too busy planning some getaways for spring break and early summer for my kids. New days ahead!

Edited by Slegr
  • Cheers 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

We're being thrown to the wolves here.  It IS too soon, as the numbers likely represent a very small slice of the actual numbers.

I agree, a few more weeks maybe but not now.

I've been SO sick all week (thought about going to ER twice) but have rapid tested negative twice.  Off work, then working from home (since yesterday...the struggle was real).  I'm expected to go back (into the fire/an elementary school) next week and if I didn't have COVID this week (I'm not convinced), I guess I can count on it now.

Horrible.  I no longer care about updates that are more just trying to pacify us as they make decisions based on anything BUT everyone's health and well being.  Stay calm my ass.  If there's nothing more to see here and we're on our own, take them off the air because it's nothing more than placating.

i have afriend who tested neg three times on rapid tests from IH.  She was very sick so she did a test that her bf gets frm the hospital and tested pos on the first one.

• Sad 2

18 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Well, luckily it’s not my job to convince some of you that it’s time. I’m too busy planning some getaways for spring break and early summer for my kids. New days ahead!

I'm fine with it as long as antivaxxers go to the very back of the line in a triage situation.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, Slegr said:

I woudn't be putting down no refundable deposits if I were you

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

+31 in ICU

+23 on ventilators

I see we have 130 in ICU today.

I’m trying to find out how many ICU beds BC has and the last count I can find is from 2020, that number is 206. If we don’t have more now than 206 an increase of 31 per day is sustainable for a little over 2 more days?!!

Does anyone have an updated number for beds?

• Vintage 1