The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The vaccine passport was never instituted for our safety.  It was done to take away certain privileges from people in order to coerce them to get vaccinated to increase vaccination rates.  With today's announcement more than likely the vaccine passport won't even be renewed on January 31.

Here is a video from Dr. Patricia Daly from last year that confirms this:

Dr. Patricia Daly:

"The vaccine passport requires people to be vaccinated to do certain discretionary activities, such as go to restaurants, movies, gyms.  Not because these places are high risk, we're not actually seeing COVID transmission in these settings, it's really to create an incentive to improve our vaccination coverage"...

"The vaccine passport is for non-essential opportunities, and it's really to create an incentive to get higher vaccination rates"...

I went to my local pool on the weekend with my son.

I was required to show my vaccine passport. 

I was more than happy to do this and I felt a lot safer knowing everyone that I shared that facility with had been vaccinated.  

I believe the statement by Patricia was just as irresponsible as the NSW health minister Brad Hazzard's statement when he claimed that we should expect everybody will get omnicron. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, iwtl said:

Patients who don’t have COVID-19 could end up in the same hospital rooms as patients who do have the virus, B.C. health officials said Friday.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/b-c-hospitals-can-put-covid-positive-and-negative-patients-in-same-rooms-top-doctor-1.5750555

This is truly horrifying

Multi patient rooms are not set up for the ventilation needed to protect someone 

It really seems like the plan is to max infect people quickly to bring an end to this

Completely reckless and irresponsible

Imagine your loved one being forced exposed to covid to gamble they will be ok while they battle what got them there as well

I would refuse and take my loved one to an American hospital and pay before allowing this for them

The antivaxxers are likely too moronic to be shaking in their boots, but they should be.  A 20 year old antivaxxer is an order of magnitude more likely to suffer serious illness from Covid (and even die) than an 80+ fully vaccinated and boosted person.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The antivaxxers are likely too moronic to be shaking in their boots, but they should be.  A 20 year old antivaxxer is an order of magnitude more likely to suffer serious illness from Covid (and even die) than an 80+ fully vaccinated and boosted person.  

In any went we have moved to.the purge stage with forced exposure rhe next phase

This move was necessary as hospitalizations will soar in the short term as the.purge surge rolls out

By mid week the case counts will.be down to 100 or less daily as the new testing restrictions means the only testing is on immune comprised and anyone with symptoms that require hospitalizations 

The vaccine passports and daily briefings are.now meaningless. They should only give a once weekly hospitalizations and death numbers

And I now have sympathy for fired.heqkrhcare workers. If grandma with cancer must share a 2 bed room.with a covid positive person then what value at all is there in mandating staff are vaccinated ? This change completely lifts social distancing in hospitals 

I'm not sure if they simply gave up trying or if they had pre planned that at s certain point they would go for broke without any pre warning so that no one had time to try to stop them. 

In both events the anti vax community has rightfully so claimed victory.

I don't regret getting triple vaxxed but now.completly understand those that say what's the point.   

I wish they would just end every single.measure immediately and then those that wish could simply stay home for a few weeks to let the virus run the purge as it spreads freely. Then atleast we know every infected person will be a breakthrough case which is weaker 

That and after 2 weeks we could get back to normal surgeries and stop canceling for unvaxxed filling beds..... 

If social distancing and safety has  now ended in hospitals it is clear we have been moved to endemic. I believe we are either the first or one of the first places on earth to lift all.saftey measures other than masking ( no more testing or isolation requirements and open hospital mixing of patients)

The USA may be ahead on masking bring lifted and crowd limits.but I don't think anyone has lifted all the safety layers for positive cases like BC has.

Kenney Ford and Wall will follow next week and at that point even national mandates for travel or truckers are ridiculous 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, iwtl said:

In any went we have moved to.the purge stage with forced exposure rhe next phase

This move was necessary as hospitalizations will soar in the short term as the.purge surge rolls out

By mid week the case counts will.be down to 100 or less daily as the new testing restrictions means the only testing is on immune comprised and anyone with symptoms that require hospitalizations 

The vaccine passports and daily briefings are.now meaningless. They should only give a once weekly hospitalizations and death numbers

And I now have sympathy for fired.heqkrhcare workers. If grandma with cancer must share a 2 bed room.with a covid positive person then what value at all is there in mandating staff are vaccinated ? This change completely lifts social distancing in hospitals 

I'm not sure if they simply gave up trying or if they had pre planned that at s certain point they would go for broke without any pre warning so that no one had time to try to stop them. 

I don't regret getting triple vaxxed but now.completly understand those that say what's the point.   

I wish they would just end every single.measure immediately and then those that wish could simply stay home for a few weeks to let the virus run the purge as it spreads freely. Then atleast we know every infected person will be a breakthrough case which is weaker 

That and after 2 weeks we could get back to normal surgeries and stop canceling for unvaxxed filling beds..... 

If social distancing and safety has  now ended in hospitals it is clear we have been moved to endemic. I believe we are either the first or one of the first places on earth to lift all.saftey measures other than masking ( no more testing or isolation requirements and open hospital mixing of patients)

The USA may be ahead on masking bring lifted and crowd limits.but I don't think anyone has lifted all the safety layers for positive cases like BC has.

Kenney Ford and Wall will follow next week and at that point even national mandates for travel or truckers are ridiculous 

The US is losing 50 000 people a month........a month.  That will never be and should never be acceptable

• Vintage 3

The Vax passports are laughable. The Vax never prevented you from catching covid, so there's no increase in safety implied. It's strictly a deterrent to encourage more people to get the Vax. And since Omicron is clearly a breakthrough infection, those passports will have to get shredded pretty soon.

Re: Moving patients without covid to share rooms with covid patients. Ok, now this is where it gets really serious. They will take off the good mask and stick the person with a leaky surgical mask to share the same air and get infected. Even more important, a PHO should KNOW that this is the result, so that is practically purposeful infection. If that was our plan, I'd be fine with everyone getting sick. It is not the plan though, they are not telling the truth.

"We are all going to be exposed" I think that message is perhaps true, but a very poor message. This isn't the time to let guard down and give up. That sounds like someone who is tired of their job and needs to move on.

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, iwtl said:

Actually the granny in your scenario, providing she’s faxed and boosted (which it’s highly likely she is) will be fine.  It’s the antivaxxer who will continue to get seriously ill and even die.  

The antivaxxer crowd are a very strange group, who have completely idiotic ideas.  They actually believe that increasing their chances for getting serious disease and dying is a win.  Although why should normal thinking folk be surprised antivaxxers think weird like this?  These are the same morons who will eat dewormer, huff bleach, bathe in fish tank cleaner, and drink urine when they get Covid, instead of taking free, safe, and effective vaccines.  Yup, real winners.  :lol:

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

The Vax passports are laughable. The Vax never prevented you from catching covid, so there's no increase in safety implied. It's strictly a deterrent to encourage more people to get the Vax. And since Omicron is clearly a breakthrough infection, those passports will have to get shredded pretty soon.

Re: Moving patients without covid to share rooms with covid patients. Ok, now this is where it gets really serious. They will take off the good mask and stick the person with a leaky surgical mask to share the same air and get infected. Even more important, a PHO should KNOW that this is the result, so that is practically purposeful infection. If that was our plan, I'd be fine with everyone getting sick. It is not the plan though, they are not telling the truth.

"We are all going to be exposed" I think that message is perhaps true, but a very poor message. This isn't the time to let guard down and give up. That sounds like someone who is tired of their job and needs to move on.

For the unvaccinated they should definitely worry, especially with society opening up again.  They will be exposed, and continue to get serious disease.  We can’t protect these kinds of people forever though.  

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

False

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

For the unvaccinated they should definitely worry, especially with society opening up again.  They will be exposed, and continue to get serious disease.  We can’t protect these kinds of people forever though.  

All true. I don't know what opening up really means yet. The pretend "it's just a flu/cold" is nonsense. Case numbers are over 10x what a flu or cold would be. Another experiment gone wrong. We are nearing the point of school and hospitals reaching critical point. It's hard to watch our policies and communications not taking that more seriously.

• Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Actually the granny in your scenario, providing she’s faxed and boosted (which it’s highly likely she is) will be fine.  It’s the antivaxxer who will continue to get seriously ill and even die.  

The antivaxxer crowd are a very strange group, who have completely idiotic ideas.  They actually believe that increasing their chances for getting serious disease and dying is a win.  Although why should normal thinking folk be surprised antivaxxers think weird like this?  These are the same morons who will eat dewormer, huff bleach, bathe in fish tank cleaner, and drink urine when they get Covid, instead of taking free, safe, and effective vaccines.  Yup, real winners.  :lol:

So long as not one unvaxef by choice person gets prioritized ahead of a fully vaxxed person needing surgery or care I can live with this

My fear is the unvaxxed are going to cause vaxxed to.die as they have to wait for surgery and care.  As we now move to open it all up the biggest impact will be in health and if it comes down to who gets care it's a bitter pill that anti vaxx gets to bump ahead 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

Just now, stawns said:

False

The Vax was for the original covid variant. Omicron has 36 mutations in the spike protein. It's the definition of virus evading immune response, and the Vaccinated numbers in hospital prove it. I'm not against the Vax, but the myth that it prevented you from catching it is not true. It will improve your symptom outcome, but never prevented infection.

2 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

The Vax was for the original covid variant. Omicron has 36 mutations in the spike protein. It's the definition of virus evading immune response, and the Vaccinated numbers in hospital prove it. I'm not against the Vax, but the myth that it prevented you from catching it is not true. It will improve your symptom outcome, but never prevented infection.

stop it already with that straw man. Being vaccinated reduces severity, which is a great reason to take it. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

Omicron, I agree, but it is much more effective against delta infection. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.10news.com/news/in-depth/in-depth-debunking-the-claim-that-vaccines-dont-prevent-infection%3f_amp=true

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.10news.com/news/in-depth/in-depth-debunking-the-claim-that-vaccines-dont-prevent-infection%3f_amp=true

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/6403678001

Edited by stawns

Just now, JM_ said:

its funny that the anti-vax come out of the woodwork to give advice now, as if this latest set of changes validates them somehow. It doesn't. If we had listened to those fools last year we'd all be &^@#ed. 

Given this turn, it's likely going to get worse before it gets better.  I'm still trying to work out why they've made these decisions which will only embolden that small, vocal minority.  

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

The delta argument is coming to a close pretty soon. Another week or two and there won't be any cases left. Instead, it's the new variants we need to be worried about. BA.1 and BA.2 are both omicron. BA.2 is more prevalent in Europe, but that will come our way soon.

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

Given this turn, it's likely going to get worse before it gets better.  I'm still trying to work out why they've made these decisions which will only embolden that small, vocal minority.  

it will. But at least we have vaccines now, and some good anti-viral treatments so their antics won't matter nearly as much. Given the medical advances in the last two years it makes them pretty irrelevant moving forward, assuming a worse variant isn't coming.

I think this all has to do with schools. The recent legal decisions around knowing who's vaccinated, now close contacts, it all seems to be around your profession. I'd be curious to hear from someone in the union willing to tell the truth, whats really going on behind the scenes. 

Edited by JM_
  • Vintage 2

Just now, JM_ said:

it will. But at least we have vaccines now, and some good anti-viral treatments so their antics won't matter nearly as much. Given the medical advances in the last two years it makes them pretty irrelevant moving forward, assuming a worse variant isn't coming.

I think this all has to do with schools. The recent legal decisions around know who's vaccinated, now close contacts, it all seems to be around your profession. I'd be curious to hear from someone in the union willing to tell the truth, whats really going on behind the scenes. 

I think there's a lot of teachers who feel abandoned and thrown to the wolves by the govt.  On one hand they say there's nothing more important than keeping schools open, but they don't prioritize staff for vaccines, we still havent recieved rapid tests, there's no teeth to the mask mandates in schools and now you can come to school if you've been directly exposed.  And this is on top of the educational/funding issues we always have

This situation in Armstrong could very well be an ignition point for a LOT of frustration amongst teachers, because it's just the school that finally said "we've had enough".........there are many, many schools in the same boat.

It is also a contract year and the feeling I get is that teachers are ready to give the government, that we had a huge part in helping get elected, the big "FU" and for the first time I feel like no one cares about what the general public thinks about it.

Colleagues that have never ever supported any kind of drastic job action are now saying "it's time".

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

The delta argument is coming to a close pretty soon. Another week or two and there won't be any cases left. Instead, it's the new variants we need to be worried about. BA.1 and BA.2 are both omicron. BA.2 is more prevalent in Europe, but that will come our way soon.

Delta as a percentage of Omi is not as good a stat as just the pure numbers of Delta.

http://www.bccdc.ca/Health-Info-Site/Documents/VoC/VoC_Weekly_20220114.pdf

AS of Jan 14 Delta was 6.6 % of the overall number in B.C.- that still made over 500 delta cases.

BC CDC is a bit late on the weekly update of this-     Weekly update on      Variants of Concern (VOC)           should be up soon.

• Vintage 2