The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

Anti mask and anti restriction marches in downtown Vancouver and Victoria today. All while 130 are actively in critical care with covid, which is shockingly close to 40% of our total ICU beds in British Columbia. I'm at a complete loss for words how some humans can be so ignorant and self centered....

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

Anti mask and anti restriction marches in downtown Vancouver and Victoria today. All while 130 are actively in critical care with covid, which is shockingly close to 40% of our total ICU beds in British Columbia. I'm at a complete loss for words how some humans can be so ignorant and self centered....

the govt has completely emboldened them this week, they'll be completely unbearable now.  Time to break out the whooping stick

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Don't blame HK. The people in charge are the same ones that ordered peoples pet's dogs and cats to be beat to death while they were under forced quarantine. That country is a mess.

8 hours ago, stawns said:

So when omicron drops off the cliff, presumably, you feel the pandemic is over completely?

Nature has a way via process of natural selection (by random mutations). The virus only succeeds if it can infect hosts. The logical argument is each new variant will transmit faster and faster as it becomes the more dominant strain. It will also possess immunity escape (of the vaccines) so it can infect more hosts. We already see that with Omicron having partial vaccine evasion.

Take Omicron BA.1, which is the dominant strain in BC right now. Nature found a way. BA.2 is already circulating in Europe, and is overtaking (faster transmission) BA.1 It's unclear if someone infected with BA.1 has immunity to BA.2, and we won't know for a few months. They are close to the same virus, but not exactly the same. We will definitely see BA.2 in BC sometime in the near future. We may not know though unless they ramp up sequencing again. 

I don't believe this is going to fall off a cliff at all. We may get a few months of reprieve in the spring before the next variant shows up. The pattern of each wave will probably continue the same way as the previous waves. The endemic crowd won't be happy about that, but it's likely where we are heading. Having our hospitals full is not exactly "a cold, or flu" IMO

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, gizmo2337 said:

Nature has a way via process of natural selection (by random mutations). The virus only succeeds if it can infect hosts. The logical argument is each new variant will transmit faster and faster as it becomes the more dominant strain. It will also possess immunity escape (of the vaccines) so it can infect more hosts. We already see that with Omicron having partial vaccine evasion.

Take Omicron BA.1, which is the dominant strain in BC right now. Nature found a way. BA.2 is already circulating in Europe, and is overtaking (faster transmission) BA.1 It's unclear if someone infected with BA.1 has immunity to BA.2, and we won't know for a few months. They are close to the same virus, but not exactly the same. We will definitely see BA.2 in BC sometime in the near future. We may not know though unless they ramp up sequencing again. 

I don't believe this is going to fall off a cliff at all. We may get a few months of reprieve in the spring before the next variant shows up. The pattern of each wave will probably continue the same way as the previous waves. The endemic crowd won't be happy about that, but it's likely where we are heading. Having our hospitals full is not exactly "a cold, or flu" IMO

It may very well go that way, but I still think delta isn't going anywhere anytime soon, and that's bad news for the unvaxxed segment of the population

• Vintage 1

28 minutes ago, stawns said:

It may very well go that way, but I still think delta isn't going anywhere anytime soon, and that's bad news for the unvaxxed segment of the population

We agree there, there's no good news for the unvaxed people. I seriously doubt we see a resurgence of delta though. Nature has picked Omicron for it's superior speed in transmission and no other covid variant has made a resurgence so far. That doesn't mean Omicron will be less lethal to the unvax crowd either.

My best guess is we slowly taper off this omicron wave with overall total lower numbers heading into spring and summer. The attitude should be preparing for the next wave though, not endemic everyone can take their masks off and party.

Eventually proper masking and ventilation policies will take hold. I don't understand why it's taking so long though. I have 3 examples in past 2 weeks where the KN95 masks I provided to family was asked to be removed and replaced with a crappy surgical mask or a made in China cloth mask. One person working mail, one hospital visit for non-critical treatment and 1 hospital visit to visit critically ill cancer patient. It's really messed up that you can't wear your own superior mask, and I'm sticking to that. The science on good masking is overwhelmingly positive.

12 hours ago, stawns said:

I think we'll see more teachers move to the Greens, which is where the support of many, like myself, was before.  I voted NDP to get the Libs out before they completely destroyed public education

As far as the BCTF goes?  It's hard to say........I do think the current president is ok, but I think most feel we need someone other than a teacher leading this fight.  Teachers will always take the path that is best for our students, rather than best for everyone, and that usually means getting run over by the government and the public.  Most teachers I know are wanting someone who will get down on the gutter and fight, rather than take the high road.

The education system is so top heavy right, it's disgusting.  Board offices are beyond bloated and full of people who were not able to cut it as classroom teachers and they are downloading so much crap onto the rest of us that we, honestly, barely have time to actually teach.  That is not an exaggeration either.

Maybe this guy?

Feb. 8, 1985. Former IWA president Jack Munro working the room.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/01/unvaccinated-5x-more-likely-to-get-omicron-than-those-boosted-cdc-reports/

Unvaccinated 5X more likely to get omicron than those boosted, CDC reports

Real-world data shows booster doses are standing up to omicron.

Amid the stratospheric rise of the omicron variant, real-world data on the effectiveness of COVID-19 booster doses is now rolling in—and it is only looking up for boosters.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported three studies Friday, two published in the CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR) and another, appearing in JAMA, by CDC scientists.

One of the MMWR studies looked at the vaccination status of nearly 10 million COVID-19 cases from 25 state and local health departments. CDC scientists and health officials compared weekly rates of COVID-19 infections between unvaccinated people, fully vaccinated people, and fully vaccinated people who were also boosted. In the month of December, as cases of the ultra-transmissible omicron variant skyrocketed, unvaccinated people were nearly three times more likely to report a case of COVID-19 than people fully vaccinated. Compared with fully vaccinated and boosted people, the unvaccinated were five times more likely to report a case.

The study in JAMA supported this finding. In that work, CDC scientists looked at nationwide pharmacy-based COVID-19 test results collected in December from around 70,000 people whose vaccination status was known. The analysis concluded that omicron infections were significantly less likely to occur in fully vaccinated and boosted people than in both the unvaccinated and fully vaccinated.

Still, both studies noted a drop in vaccine effectiveness against omicron compared with the previously dominant coronavirus variant, delta. In the MMWR study, researchers looked at cases reported from October to November, when delta was raging. They found that unvaccinated people were four times more likely to be infected with delta late in the year than fully vaccinated people and nearly 14 times more likely to get a delta infection than fully vaccinated and boosted people.

Vaccine effectiveness against infection.
Enlarge / Vaccine effectiveness against infection.
CDC

But in the second MMWR study, CDC scientists found that booster doses do appear to restore protection against serious disease and hospitalization back to delta-era levels. The study was a multi-state analysis looking at nearly 223,000 patient visits to either emergency rooms or urgent care centers for COVID-19, as well as nearly 88,000 hospitalizations, all between last August and earlier this month.

Amid delta, the effectiveness of two doses against emergency room and urgent care visits started out at around 86 percent, fell to about 76 percent as people reached beyond six months after their second vaccination, and was pushed back up to 94 percent after a booster dose. With omicron, two-dose effectiveness against emergency room and urgent care visits started out at a dismal 52 percent, fell to 38 percent with waning protection, and was boosted back to 82 percent after a booster.

Vaccine effectiveness against emergency room and urgent care visits.
Enlarge / Vaccine effectiveness against emergency room and urgent care visits.
CDC

For hospitalizations caused by the delta variant, the effectiveness of two doses started at around 90 percent, fell to 81 percent amid waning protection, and rose to 94 percent after a booster. Against hospitalizations caused by omicron, two-dose effectiveness started at 81 percent, fell to 57 percent with waning, and rose to 90 percent after a booster.

Vaccine effectiveness against hospitalization.
Enlarge / Vaccine effectiveness against hospitalization.
CDC

"Taken together, these data highlight two important points," CDC Director Rochelle Walensky said in a White House Press briefing Friday. "First, those who remain unvaccinated are at significantly higher risk for infection and severe COVID-19 disease. Second, protection against infection and hospitalization with the omicron variant is highest for those who are up to date with their vaccination, meaning those who are boosted when they are eligible."

Only 63 percent of the US population is fully vaccinated, and tens of millions of people who are eligible for a booster have not gotten one. "I urge all who are eligible to get their booster shot to get it as soon as possible," Walensky said.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/01/unvaccinated-5x-more-likely-to-get-omicron-than-those-boosted-cdc-reports/

Unvaccinated 5X more likely to get omicron than those boosted, CDC reports

Real-world data shows booster doses are standing up to omicron.

Amid the stratospheric rise of the omicron variant, real-world data on the effectiveness of COVID-19 booster doses is now rolling in—and it is only looking up for boosters.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported three studies Friday, two published in the CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR) and another, appearing in JAMA, by CDC scientists.

One of the MMWR studies looked at the vaccination status of nearly 10 million COVID-19 cases from 25 state and local health departments. CDC scientists and health officials compared weekly rates of COVID-19 infections between unvaccinated people, fully vaccinated people, and fully vaccinated people who were also boosted. In the month of December, as cases of the ultra-transmissible omicron variant skyrocketed, unvaccinated people were nearly three times more likely to report a case of COVID-19 than people fully vaccinated. Compared with fully vaccinated and boosted people, the unvaccinated were five times more likely to report a case.

The study in JAMA supported this finding. In that work, CDC scientists looked at nationwide pharmacy-based COVID-19 test results collected in December from around 70,000 people whose vaccination status was known. The analysis concluded that omicron infections were significantly less likely to occur in fully vaccinated and boosted people than in both the unvaccinated and fully vaccinated.

Still, both studies noted a drop in vaccine effectiveness against omicron compared with the previously dominant coronavirus variant, delta. In the MMWR study, researchers looked at cases reported from October to November, when delta was raging. They found that unvaccinated people were four times more likely to be infected with delta late in the year than fully vaccinated people and nearly 14 times more likely to get a delta infection than fully vaccinated and boosted people.

Vaccine effectiveness against infection.

Enlarge / Vaccine effectiveness against infection.
CDC

But in the second MMWR study, CDC scientists found that booster doses do appear to restore protection against serious disease and hospitalization back to delta-era levels. The study was a multi-state analysis looking at nearly 223,000 patient visits to either emergency rooms or urgent care centers for COVID-19, as well as nearly 88,000 hospitalizations, all between last August and earlier this month.

Amid delta, the effectiveness of two doses against emergency room and urgent care visits started out at around 86 percent, fell to about 76 percent as people reached beyond six months after their second vaccination, and was pushed back up to 94 percent after a booster dose. With omicron, two-dose effectiveness against emergency room and urgent care visits started out at a dismal 52 percent, fell to 38 percent with waning protection, and was boosted back to 82 percent after a booster.

Vaccine effectiveness against emergency room and urgent care visits.

Enlarge / Vaccine effectiveness against emergency room and urgent care visits.
CDC

For hospitalizations caused by the delta variant, the effectiveness of two doses started at around 90 percent, fell to 81 percent amid waning protection, and rose to 94 percent after a booster. Against hospitalizations caused by omicron, two-dose effectiveness started at 81 percent, fell to 57 percent with waning, and rose to 90 percent after a booster.

Vaccine effectiveness against hospitalization.

Enlarge / Vaccine effectiveness against hospitalization.
CDC

"Taken together, these data highlight two important points," CDC Director Rochelle Walensky said in a White House Press briefing Friday. "First, those who remain unvaccinated are at significantly higher risk for infection and severe COVID-19 disease. Second, protection against infection and hospitalization with the omicron variant is highest for those who are up to date with their vaccination, meaning those who are boosted when they are eligible."

Only 63 percent of the US population is fully vaccinated, and tens of millions of people who are eligible for a booster have not gotten one. "I urge all who are eligible to get their booster shot to get it as soon as possible," Walensky said.

How many times has someone “corrected” me on this board for saying exactly this?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

My wife has Covid - she tested positive on Thursday. She is double vaxxed and had the booster. I’m also double vaxxed with booster and my kids are double vaxxed. My kids and I haven’t picked up any symptoms in the past few days, despite the fact my wife has just been hanging out with us like ordinary within the house. Puzzling, eh? I thought at least one of us would also be getting some symptoms.

12 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Note that there is some profanity in some the twitter replies to the orginal tweet by anti-vaxxer nutjob Aaron Rodgers:

A great reply in that thread...

One guys says (before yesterday's game) : "A trusted source told Boomer Esiason that Aaron Rodgers could threaten a  Super Bowl boycott to get his point across about Covid-19"

The reply: "Damn, he went through with it too." :lol:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1