The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm thinking history wasn't their strongest subject in school.........they're not so hot in English or Math either

"countless people"   -just one example of bad math. "People we haven't counted' would be a much more accurate term.

• Haha 4

Hoping no violence comes out of this.

Also any gridlock that causes delays in emergency response vehicles can not be tolerated.

Protests are fine- keep it legal and don't hinder the people that 

a- think you're idiots

b- know you are protesting to the wrong government on various things

c- just folk trying to live their day to day lives.

• Cheers 1

Double-vaxxed, followed all protocols, etc.  Just spent some time in a hospital waiting room.  Not for covid, as I've already gotten omicron along pretty much everyone else I know here and abroad.  But for some tests of a family member.

They make us wear masks, and that's nice, but it was packed, also of people for tests.  So in that scenario, where people are wheezing on each other in a crowded space full of people not even wearing their masks properly, you can see why omicron - an airborne variant - is spreading like wildfire.

So it's not easy to take this and other restrictions seriously if hospitals aren't really, while it's pretty easy to see why countries like the UK are dropping them altogether.

I'm not sure if this overblown trucker story will be the signal that Canada's going to drop 'em too, but it's either that or Trudeau's going to have to be caught in a maskless dance party or something like that.

Either way, this thing has totally devolved into a political camp-building, unscientific distraction, which probably was inevitable seeing as the case count goes on and on relatively unchecked.

22 minutes ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

Double-vaxxed, followed all protocols, etc.  Just spent some time in a hospital waiting room.  Not for covid, as I've already gotten omicron along pretty much everyone else I know here and abroad.  But for some tests of a family member.

They make us wear masks, and that's nice, but it was packed, also of people for tests.  So in that scenario, where people are wheezing on each other in a crowded space full of people not even wearing their masks properly, you can see why omicron - an airborne variant - is spreading like wildfire.

So it's not easy to take this and other restrictions seriously if hospitals aren't really, while it's pretty easy to see why countries like the UK are dropping them altogether.

I'm not sure if this overblown trucker story will be the signal that Canada's going to drop 'em too, but it's either that or Trudeau's going to have to be caught in a maskless dance party or something like that.

Either way, this thing has totally devolved into a political camp-building, unscientific distraction, which probably was inevitable seeing as the case count goes on and on relatively unchecked.

luckily, Canada and the provinces have clearly settled into a science based, incremental approach to adding and removing restrictions. We'll all be waiting to see how the UK and Denmark do

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I saw a clip of Joe Rogan talking about the Canadian truck convoy yesterday. He repeated teh 50,000 truck number, 1.4 million people or whatever, and went as far as to say "the country is revolting". This is precisely what's wrong with using JRE as 'news'. He is obviously misinformed. I know many here have crunched the numbers here on how 50k trucks would be >1000 km long. Or how 1.4 millions is like 1/20th of our population. Ask yourselves if 1 out of 20 people you know is marching on Ottawa.

I like JRE, I have listened to his show in the past and enjoy a lot of his guests, but I also feel like I have the ability to be objective and critical of what's presented. Not all of his listeningers/watchers have that ability and now that he is, by definition, mainstream media there needs to be some quality fact checking implemented because his millions of listeners are now taking it as truth. I don't think Rogan is intentionally misleading or anything. He is just repeating what he heard elsewhere without actually vetting the information. It's kind of ironic that a large portion of his listeners use that podcast for information because "MSM lies", yet the JRE is just as misleading.

Exactly. The thing some folks don't seem to realize about Joe's podcast is that it isn't news. (or even newsworthy)

There is zero requirement for him to fact check anything his guests say on his show. The only concern is that people tune in.

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, reyezone said:

Weak. 

theo was a hero last year. How about using real discourse rather than clickbait words to articulate ideas... unless you think us Canuck fans are stupid and easily manipulated by repetitive messaging 

He was? For what?

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, lucky_nucker said:

Actually, it wasn't.

Firstly, the article starts off with the obviously incorrect claim of the convoy including 50,000 trucks. 70 km long, it says, which does not equal 50,000 trucks. It equals less than 5000. The rest is about as factual....

• Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, iwtl said:

Hadn't seen this but if articulates well my point about radicl8zation of the alt right.

They really believe that anyone Against any of thier opinions is an enemy of the state and a threat

They want to use fear and attacks to silence others

For most of us we can disagree with someone's views without attacking them in such hatred filled ways

Not Hatred. Political criticism and discourse in the public space exactly as you have done. 

theo was a hero when bravely speaking publicly on his being a victim of sexual assault as a minor, not to mention his book and the lives he touched....

the hatred and othering I have seen on this board by watchdogs whose job it seems is to constantly push the narrative is gross. And I’m not talking about a altright narrative. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, reyezone said:

Not Hatred. Political criticism and discourse in the public space exactly as you have done. 

theo was a hero when bravely speaking publicly on his being a victim of sexual assault as a minor, not to mention his book and the lives he touched....

the hatred and othering I have seen on this board by watchdogs whose job it seems is to constantly push the narrative is gross. And I’m not talking about a altright narrative. 

:rolleyes::lol:

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Actually, it wasn't.

Firstly, the article starts off with the obviously incorrect claim of the convoy including 50,000 trucks. 70 km long, it says, which does not equal 50,000 trucks. It equals less than 5000. The rest is about as factual....

How about consider they are doing this for your freedoms. 

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, reyezone said:

Mandates should end. It’s not even a question at this point... 

Propose an alternative since let er rip is not an acceptable option for those of us with adequate oxygen supply to our brain cells.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Haha 4

12 minutes ago, reyezone said:

So you want compliance with your view or silence 

Got it ....... and won't comply with that nonsense

You need to learn that it's OK to disagree with someone's politics without disliking or hating them

This radicalized view that a.person must100% support someone and everything they say otherwise it's hate ....is right out of the alt right play book

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, gurn said:

Hoping no violence comes out of this.

Also any gridlock that causes delays in emergency response vehicles can not be tolerated.

Protests are fine- keep it legal and don't hinder the people that 

a- think you're idiots

b- know you are protesting to the wrong government on various things

c- just folk trying to live their day to day lives.

I'd imagine there's going to be a fair bit "wannabe truckers" that show up during the weekend (as opposed to the actual teeny convoy that went to Ottawa).

Best response I read (on another hockey board) regarding "99% of Joe Rogan show is harmless":

"Evander Kane plays hockey and does harmless things 99% of the time but occasionally he'll physically assault women. It's ridiculous that people react negatively to him."  Though I think 99% might just be a tad optimistic.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

He was a hero?  Why?

Repetitive messaging?  Like "it's Trudeaus fault" since the 70s in Alberta?  Or liberals are bad?  Oh or how about they're stripping us of freedoms and rights?

Repeat a lie enough eventually it becomes truth to the idiocy

There is certainly a presence of coercion and gaslighting at both extremes but if you think the stripping of rights and freedoms we have observed in the last two years is something to be glib over then good luck

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1