The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think our government has done a good job, and people are educated now.  This looks like younger people (less than 60) out enjoying a nice day.  They are at very low risk, right?  They just need to stay away from the high risk people, because they could have the virus and not show symptoms.  Isn’t that what the most important message is?  

Is this seriously what you've ascertained after reading this thread for past few days? Jebus man!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

I dunno how much more specific I can get than the direct quotes I pulled from you yesterday.. 

Have you even read the guidelines?   There is nothing in it that says non-symptomatic people should stay home and not go out 'at all'.   I ask you why is that?   Is the gov't info wrong , inaccurate?   Again if so, is that my fault?  The only section that offers specific advice on that topic is for people who feel they may have been in contact with a carrier.   There is nothing I can see in the government guidelines that says for people to completely stay home.  Limit non-essential outings, hygiene (no mention of gloves) and social distancing are explained in detail.  I agree 100% with those recommendations and have been following them and asking my parents in Canada to do so as well.  

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

9 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Piles of people hanging out like spring break in Florida?  

I'd happily single out all the places ignori g social distancing, but I'm a student observing quarantine right now so only know of a handful of locales being... ignorant.

If you’re young, and at really low risk to suffer any ill effects of this virus, why are you in quarantine?  If I may ask.  

12 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

The medical experts are saying this could go for months. Why is Daly saying next NHL season won't be impacted? Are they trying to say they are writing off this season? 

Let’s say only 4 nhl players test positive for covid and they recover in the next 2-4 weeks. They could presumably begin playing in empty arenas in 6-8 weeks. I don’t think Daly means fans will be packing playoff games. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Kits beach an hour ago 

2A9531E3-DCFC-4C82-9766-F3D20FCCC716.jpeg

photo not mine. Retweeted by Dan Murphy 

They wouldn't close kits beach this is why people move to vancouver being outdoors and buying small spaces.

• Cheers 1

Just now, samurai said:

Have you even read the guidelines?   There is nothing in it that says non-symptomatic people should stay home and not go out 'at all'.   I ask you why is that?   Is the gov't info wrong , inaccurate?   Again if so, is that my fault?  The only section that offers specific advice on that topic is for people who feel they may have been in contact with a carrier.   There is nothing I can see in the government guidelines that says for people to completely stay home.  Limit non-essential outings, hygiene (no mention of gloves) and social distancing are explained in detail.  I agree 100% with those recommendations and have been following them and asking my parents in Canada to do so as well.  

Maybe I’m confused?  (Okay I’m confused). I thought all the most recent data indicates this virus doesn’t do much to young people who are healthy, right?  The problem is these young healthy people, if the contract the virus, become a symptomatic carriers, right?  Then these people can spread the virus to those in high risk groups.  I thought it was the high risk groups that needed to isolate, no?  And those healthy younger people were supposed to stay away from the high risk groups?

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Amaneey said:

So sht like this really angers me. Are people really that dense? That ignorant or unsympathetic to harm this can cause?

Spent the last two days taking care of COVID-19 patients on life support. It's getting harder and busier every day, it's a drain on all of our resources and mental healt.  Frontline staff are putting their lives at risk by taking care of sick patients, and these idiots have the nerve to go strolling by the beach? Do they not comprehend what "social distancing" means? What entitled jerks.

Where are you caring for these patients, who are in ICU?  Can younger people like doctors and nurses get really sick from the virus, if they got really tired and run down from working so hard?  Is there data on that yet?  

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe I’m confused?  (Okay I’m confused). I thought all the most recent data indicates this virus doesn’t do much to young people who are healthy, right?  The problem is these young healthy people, if the contract the virus, become a symptomatic carriers, right?  Then these people can spread the virus to those in high risk groups.  I thought it was the high risk groups that needed to isolate, no?  And those healthy younger people were supposed to stay away from the high risk groups?

That sounds about right.  There is debate about whether or not asymptomatic carriers are the main drivers or not.  Some experts yes and some no.  That won't be known for some time and my guess it will depend on the place.  It is very complicated.  This is why people need to limit outings and for sure stay away from high risk people.

Edited by samurai
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Is this seriously what you've ascertained after reading this thread for past few days? Jebus man!

Explain, using data, what’s different then?  Healthy Younger people carry this virus and don’t show symptoms.  They then infect, unknowingly, those in the high risk groups.  

No need to be rude; just trying to figure this out.  So, why not try explaining your understanding, and support it with current data?  Thank you. 

Just now, CBH1926 said:

I have been part of that Trump thread since it got started four years ago.

It became a cesspool of bad behavior, besieged by trolls, ignorant and dumb people.

I never thought I would see anything like that again on these boards, boy was a wrong!

some people think trump is a virus and this thread is about a virus.   surprised?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Let’s say only 4 nhl players test positive for covid and they recover in the next 2-4 weeks. They could presumably begin playing in empty arenas in 6-8 weeks. I don’t think Daly means fans will be packing playoff games. 

NHL makes it money from the plebs attending the games.  They get SOME TV/PPV revenue but it pales in comparison to what other sports leagues get.  I don't see the NHL making a 'go of it' to empty arenas.  Having one or two Florida Panther teams is one thing.....31 of them?

17 minutes ago, samurai said:

Just because you’re changing what you say now doesn’t mean you weren’t wrong before. And it’s a sign of immaturity that you can’t admit what you said before was wrong. I never said the government said people can’t go out at all. I repeated  exactly what Trudeau said in his announcement a few days ago, he insisted “all Canadians should stay home as much as possible.” Watch his announcement. If it wasn’t crucial that we all stay home as much as possible then recreational facilities and workplaces and businesses wouldn’t be shutting down all over Vancouver and the world.

And not once I said people should be wearing gloves, I said let people do what they want if it makes them feel safe.

Edited by Petey40
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

I have been part of that Trump thread since it got started four years ago.

It became a cesspool of bad behavior, besieged by trolls, ignorant and dumb people.

I never thought I would see anything like that again on these boards, boy was a wrong!

Why do you say stuff like this?  This virus is completely new, and we are discussing what’s going on so we can all better understand it.  What’s your view on its spread, and our current government measures to protect the high risk groups?  

15 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

I'm optimistic, but cynical. I believe, due to the way we [the collective we] have been acting means that there's no damn way hockey resumes.  

Add to that they appear to be even farther behind in the US. Hockey is done this year unless some kind of miracle strikes.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, samurai said:

Your rants have grown very annoying.  FYI.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Petey40 said:

Just because you’re changing what you say now doesn’t mean you weren’t wrong before. And it’s a sign of immaturity that you can’t admit what you said before was wrong. I never said the government said people can’t go out at all. I said exactly what Trudeau said in his announcement a few days ago, he said all Canadians should stay home as much as possible.” Watch his announcement. If it wasn’t crucial that we all stay home as much as possible then recreational facilities and workplaces and businesses wouldn’t be shutting down all over Vancouver and the world.

Never changed my view at all.  Clarified for you but didn't change.  Big difference. 

21 minutes ago, samurai said:

You are a Covid-19 apologist.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

Just because you’re changing what you say now doesn’t mean you weren’t wrong before. And it’s a sign of immaturity that you can’t admit what you said before was wrong. I never said the government said people can’t go out at all. I repeated  exactly what Trudeau said in his announcement a few days ago, he insisted all Canadians should stay home as much as possible.” Watch his announcement. If it wasn’t crucial that we all stay home as much as possible then recreational facilities and workplaces and businesses wouldn’t be shutting down all over Vancouver and the world.

I know what the Prime Minister said about staying home and such.  I don’t understand the concept of the healthy younger people, who have no symptoms, spreading the virus to one another.  A lead doc in California said 50-70 percent of that state’s population will get this virus.  We will not test that many people, so how do these experts know that stuff?  Are they extrapolating using the number of people who are likely asymptomatic based on age or something?  

• Wat 1