The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

COVID-19 update for Sept. 16-18: Henry says some B.C. health care workers no longer need to be vaccinated.

Here are the latest weekly B.C. figures given on Sept. 15 for the week of Sept. 4-10:

• Hospitalized cases: 314
• Intensive care: 23
• New cases: 574 over seven days ending Sept. 10
• Total number of confirmed cases: 383,628
• Total deaths over seven days ending Sept. 10: 16 (total 4,216)

On 9/16/2022 at 7:06 AM, -DLC- said:

COVID-19 update for Sept. 16-18: Henry says some B.C. health care workers no longer need to be vaccinated.

Here are the latest weekly B.C. figures given on Sept. 15 for the week of Sept. 4-10:

• Hospitalized cases: 314
• Intensive care: 23
• New cases: 574 over seven days ending Sept. 10
• Total number of confirmed cases: 383,628
• Total deaths over seven days ending Sept. 10: 16 (total 4,216)

you could probably put a "2" in front of that number of cases and not be that far off. 

Happy to see the ICU cases down to 23 tho, thats they key number now imo. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Wife had to fly to California for work yesterday, she forgot she needed a mask since we havent used them since all the provincial mandates were dropped and it took her an hour to find somewhere in the airport to sell a mask to her. You would think they could atleast hand out those 25 cent masks at the airline for those that forgot it.

On 9/16/2022 at 7:06 AM, -DLC- said:

And those people have moved on most likely to other sectors/careers.  This isn't going to help our health care system at all, they should have dropped that and never had it in the first place, they should have just been made to wear masks all shift and continue working and we wouldn't have lost a bunch of HC workers.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Russ said:

And those people have moved on most likely to other sectors/careers.  This isn't going to help our health care system at all, they should have dropped that and never had it in the first place, they should have just been made to wear masks all shift and continue working and we wouldn't have lost a bunch of HC workers.

'Some' BC health care workers. I wonder which parts of health care now get a pass?

I hear what you are saying but retrospect is 20/20. 

I'm fine with some industries having mandates, especially healthcare when it comes to an unknown global pandemic. 

If you don't err on the side of caution and covid turned out to be even worse the impact could have been catastrophic.

7 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

'Some' BC health care workers. I wonder which parts of health care now get a pass?

I hear what you are saying but retrospect is 20/20. 

I'm fine with some industries having mandates, especially healthcare when it comes to an unknown global pandemic. 

If you don't err on the side of caution and covid turned out to be even worse the impact could have been catastrophic.

Our system has been stressed for decades, last thing they needed to do was get rid of health care workers.  And they weren't fired or laid off, they were put on leave as far as I know, where they couldn't even collect EI that they pay into all their lives.  None of those people are sitting around a year later waiting for their HC jobs to come back, they have moved on unfortunately, putting a bottle neck on the HC system that really won't get relief possibly ever, you'll never find enough people to get things running smoothly to the standards we need. 

And I get 20/20, my issue was they went through the first 3 waves working just fine when there was no vaccine, then if I remember correctly a lot of the HC workers got laid off at the tail end of Delta and the beginning of Omicron when the facts were showing the it was much less severe.

I am 100% for vaccines, I got my 2 shots to protect myself, schools need them, HC has them, etc.  But there should also be a bit of a grandfather clause where you don't get laid off just because you don't want to get it right away, especially when there is already a strain on the system.  Any new hires it could easily be a requirement and then people know what they are getting into. 

Its such a moving goal posts, I just feel for all the people who really need to go to the hospital to get looked at and wait there for hours on end because there is such a shortage of staff because their co-workers got laid off.

• Cheers 4

Received an email last night, time to book my next booster.

try online- can't book a time.

Oh well, I'll just go to the Vaxx clinic and talk to a person. Get there and the clinic  is closed till tomorrow, however there was an actual phone number on the door.

Write it down and go home to make a call.

Make a call, wait 5 minutes and get through to an actual person, I think.

Go through the whole, this is who I am,  here is all my data/numbers, routine.

I could feel real progress being made, until I said where I live.

They can book me into multiple places  Comox or Cumberland or Nanaimo, but nothing in Powell River. Not only nothing in Powell River but they have no idea when something might open up.

So I get told to try again in a few days. lol.

I wonder if my doctor will sign off on a Travel Assistance Pass, thus making my ferry ride free?

I'm going to give it a week then see.

Really hoping the Omi targeted vaxx is available.

• Cheers 1

Canada ending requirements for COVID-19 vaccines, ArriveCan app at border Sept. 30 (msn.com)

Canada ending requirements for COVID-19 vaccines, ArriveCan app at border Sept. 30

OTTAWA — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has agreed to let a cabinet order enforcing mandatory COVID-19 vaccination requirements at the Canadian border expire at the end of this month.

Canada ending requirements for COVID-19 vaccines, ArriveCan app at border Sept. 30
Canada ending requirements for COVID-19 vaccines, ArriveCan app at border Sept. 30© Provided by The Canadian Press

The decision was confirmed by two senior government sources, who spoke to The Canadian Press on the condition they not be named because they were not authorized to speak publicly.

The change will also bring an end to COVID-19 border testing, which is currently mandatory for unvaccinated international travellers and random for those who are vaccinated.

Tourism Minister Randy Boissonnault would not confirm the decision Thursday afternoon, but he said if the order is allowed to expire, that would also eliminate the only mandatory component for the ArriveCan app.

"So the mandatory piece is the vaccine piece, and because that's how people prove it through the ArriveCan, that's how the order is written, from what I remember," he said on his way into a cabinet meeting.

ArriveCan began as a way for travellers to report their vaccination status and provide pre-departure test results to the Canada Border Services Agency. But it has morphed into a digitized border arrival tool, and now people flying into certain airports can use it to fill out their customs and immigration form instead of the paper version.

Cabinet first ordered international travellers to be vaccinated against COVID-19 a year ago, and has renewed that order about every three months. 

The latest version will expire Sept. 30 and will not be renewed. 

The sources say the full cabinet does not need to sign off on a decision to let an existing order expire. One of them confirmed Trudeau has signed off on the plan.

The federal government is still deciding whether to maintain the requirement for passengers to wear face masks on trains and airplanes. That rule is not contained in the same cabinet order as the border vaccine requirement, but rather is a ministerial order given by the minister of Transport.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gurn said:

Received an email last night, time to book my next booster.

try online- can't book a time.

Oh well, I'll just go to the Vaxx clinic and talk to a person. Get there and the clinic  is closed till tomorrow, however there was an actual phone number on the door.

Write it down and go home to make a call.

Make a call, wait 5 minutes and get through to an actual person, I think.

Go through the whole, this is who I am,  here is all my data/numbers, routine.

I could feel real progress being made, until I said where I live.

They can book me into multiple places  Comox or Cumberland or Nanaimo, but nothing in Powell River. Not only nothing in Powell River but they have no idea when something might open up.

So I get told to try again in a few days. lol.

I wonder if my doctor will sign off on a Travel Assistance Pass, thus making my ferry ride free?

I'm going to give it a week then see.

Really hoping the Omi targeted vaxx is available.

I booked mine thru a text message I got. 

My wife and son already have had theirs.  Just a sore am for 1 day.

The booster is a mixture with half for the Omicron variant.