The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

3 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

If everyone that is sick gets sick at home it can be treated and contained. Rather than spreading the virus while going on about their business up until they experience symptoms.

If everyone that doesn't get sick, doesn't get sick while at home, rather than running around like a bunch of fools potentially catching and spreading it, then it is contained.

That will stop it temporarily, but were in this until a vaccine is developed

1 hour ago, Amaneey said:

So sht like this really angers me. Are people really that dense? That ignorant or unsympathetic to harm this can cause?

Spent the last two days taking care of COVID-19 patients on life support. It's getting harder and busier every day, it's a drain on all of our resources and mental healt.  Frontline staff are putting their lives at risk by taking care of sick patients, and these idiots have the nerve to go strolling by the beach? Do they not comprehend what "social distancing" means? What entitled jerks.

Vernon has been packed all week.  On my way to my farm we drive right through town and there's people everywhere

3 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

If everyone that is sick gets sick at home it can be treated and contained. Rather than spreading the virus while going on about their business up until they experience symptoms.

If everyone that doesn't get sick, doesn't get sick while at home, rather than running around like a bunch of fools potentially catching and spreading it, then it is contained.

One of the things that MUST come of this is employers giving paid sick days to their employees very seriously. So many people go to work while sick because they can't afford to take days off. This must change.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Green Building said:

@debluvscanucks I retract my earlier defense of @samurai  

@StealthNuck @Templeton PeckI am aware that I have no power here, but I don't believe this person is acting in good faith, and, furthermore, is actively spreading horse$&!# information that is in no way relevant to us in BC. I specifically targeted @debluvscanucks earlier comment because I do feel that the number of times someone speaks to or about a thing should not be subject to mod action, but the content obviously should be.  

We're trying to overcome a pandemic here and this dip$&!# is actively persuading people to go out in public to socialize if they don't have symptoms, completely contradicting the State of Emergency declared by Mike Farnworth for BC, Mayor Kennedy Stewart in Vancouver, as well as the Federal Government of Canada clear and obvious concern for the situation.  

Ban this clown.

Honestly..This thread could benefit from being a news only topic at this point

Just turning into the Donald Trump topic with behavior between members

Edited by naslund.is.king
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, naslund.is.king said:

Just turning into the Donald Trump topic with behavior between parties

Discussion is valid. Misinformation is not. 

Yes, this is a hockey forum, but it is a BC community.

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, Amaneey said:

I work in an ICU in the lower mainland. They are saying that health care professionals who contract the virus from patients actually tend to get a lot sicker, when compared to other people in the same age group and with a similar health history. Possibly because the are in prolonged close contact with these patients who may be undergoing aerolized generating procedures such as intubation, nebulizer or BiPap.

We are working pretty short, lots of people coming in on their days off. I think as this progresses people with definitely get burnt out, which decreases their immunity and makes them more prone to getting sick in general.

I wish more young and healthy people would take this seriously. We all need to do our part here for the greater good. We can still limit the spread and save lives. I encourage you all to maintain good hand hygiene, keep practicing social distancing, stay away from the hospital if you don't need to be there. Hopefully this thing doesn't go on for much longer, but I have a feeling a lot more people are going to get sick before things get better.

I know many who aren't taking this seriously; thank you for your service. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

30 minutes ago, naslund.is.king said:

Just turning into the Donald Trump topic with behavior between members

I like your idea.  Here’s a recent news article from Holland, and it tells of how their government sees the way to beat the virus.

“About 50 to 60 percent of the population of the Netherlands need to be infected by and recovered from Covid-19 for the country to achieve herd immunity against the coronavirus, Jaap van Dissel, head of public health institute RIVM said to Nieuwsuur.

On Monday evening, Prime Minister Mark Rutte said that a large part of the population will likely be infected by the virus, but that this will also build up immunity. "Those who have had the virus are usually immune afterwards," Rutte explained. "The larger the group that is immune, the smaller the chance for the virus to jump to vulnerable elderly people and other people with poor health. With group immunity you build a protective wall around them."

That is the Netherlands' strategy in the fight against this virus. But it means that more people will have to become ill. "We want to spread the virus to people who are not really affected by it," Van Dissel said. "At the same time, you try to protect vulnerable groups as well as possible. If the group that has had the virus is large enough, it will protect the vulnerable against the virus."

With the measures currently in place, the government is trying to "control the virus" as much as possible, and to level off and spread the peak of infections over a longer period. This way, immunity is built up in the population and the healthcare system is not overloaded, Dissel said. 

"This is the middle scenario," Dissel said to Nieuwsuur. On the one side of this middle scenario is a scenario in which no measures are taken and the virus is allowed to spread unhindered. This would make many people sick in a short time and could overload the healthcare system.

On the other side is a "total lockdown", as was announced by other countries. But this is not the best option, according to Van Dissel. "As long as you suppress hard, there is little disease, but as soon as you stop doing that, the virus can come back right away," he said.

He referred to China, where a drastic lockdown was introduced to stop the spread of the virus. Some 80 thousand people in China have had the diseases, but that is a very small percentage of the entire population of some 1.4 billion people. "The disadvantage of such a total lockdown is that the virus will form a kind of peat fire, that there is insufficient build-up of immunity, and that you will therefore always remain sensitive to reintroduction of the virus in the future. If everything is opened up again, foci of infection can re-emerge everywhere."”

https://nltimes.nl/2020/03/17/around-60-nl-residents-must-get-covid-19-herd-immunity-health-institute

It sure sounds like some top thinkers on this matter believe we need to develop the herd immunity to really defeat the virus.  We can’t keep our borders closed forever though.  This is all too confusing. 

• Upvote 1

Hong Kong sees second positive test of the new coronavirus... in dogs

Fri 20 Mar 2020 04:38:28 GMT

A German Shepherd in Hong Kong is said to have repeatedly tested positive for the new coronavirus disease

This according to the Hong Kong government here. The dog has been sent to quarantine with another mixed breed dog from the same residence - but no positive results were obtained for the mixed breed dog just yet.

According to the statement, the German Shepherd is the second dog in Hong Kong to have tested positive for the virus after a 17-year old Pomeranian tested 'weak positive' in repeated tests. Just to note, the owner of both dogs both also contracted the virus.

I guess the good news is so far there is no evidence that pets/animals can be a source of spreading the new coronavirus to humans. But still, not so good news for dogs maybe!

45 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

One of the things that MUST come of this is employers giving paid sick days to their employees very seriously. So many people go to work while sick because they can't afford to take days off. This must change.

It's going to be a lot bigger than that.  Were probably looking at 18ish months of almost no one working and earning a wage.  How's that going to work? 

20 minutes ago, Amaneey said:

I work in an ICU in the lower mainland. They are saying that health care professionals who contract the virus from patients actually tend to get a lot sicker, when compared to other people in the same age group and with a similar health history. Possibly because the are in prolonged close contact with these patients who may be undergoing aerolized generating procedures such as intubation, nebulizer or BiPap.

We are working pretty short, lots of people coming in on their days off. I think as this progresses people with definitely get burnt out, which decreases their immunity and makes them more prone to getting sick in general.

I wish more young and healthy people would take this seriously. We all need to do our part here for the greater good. We can still limit the spread and save lives. I encourage you all to maintain good hand hygiene, keep practicing social distancing, stay away from the hospital if you don't need to be there. Hopefully this thing doesn't go on for much longer, but I have a feeling a lot more people are going to get sick before things get better.

Hang in there.  I've got many friends on the front line as well.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

A German Shepherd in Hong Kong is said to have repeatedly tested positive for the new coronavirus disease

This according to the Hong Kong government here. The dog has been sent to quarantine with another mixed breed dog from the same residence - but no positive results were obtained for the mixed breed dog just yet.

According to the statement, the German Shepherd is the second dog in Hong Kong to have tested positive for the virus after a 17-year old Pomeranian tested 'weak positive' in repeated tests. Just to note, the owner of both dogs both also contracted the virus.

I guess the good news is so far there is no evidence that pets/animals can be a source of spreading the new coronavirus to humans. But still, not so good news for dogs maybe!

My dog is 12, she’s now in permanent self isolation. She’s not taking the news very well 

15 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Apparently the first dog, the pomeranian has died. But cause of death is unknown.

55 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

Agreed, people shouldn’t get anxiety and panic or worry about their job security for a taking a day off because they’re sick. People should even be allowed to take days off for their mental health. Things have to change.

Edited by Petey40
  • Like 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, EmilyM said:

Her husband is the CEO of the NYSE.

She was in a private meeting about the virus with heads of the CDC and NIH on the day she sold, while continuing to downplay the virus in public.
These people MUST be held accountable.

Hell is too lenient of punishment for her and everyone who cashed out before warning the public.

"Senators are required to regularly disclose that information, but in January she requested an extension from Senate ethics officials. A full accounting of her finances will not be public until May."

Anyone have any spare pitchforks that you don't need in May?

In 2012 The Stop Trading on Congressional Knowledge (STOCK) Act passed into law. The law required all congressional stock trades to be made public via disclosure on an electronic platform visible to the general public.

In 2013 congress amended it to remove the electronic disclosure requirement. Now the only way to find out what transactions they have made is to visit the records office and manually search through tens of thousands of paper documents.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Thank you for that.  But if none of us really knows what’s up with this virus, then how can anyone be wrong?  How can something be considered stupid or irresponsible if we don’t know what’s really going on?  Isn’t the whole purpose of the current protocols of social distancing and being extra cautious to protect our high risk citizens?  Young healthy people, from the recent data, don’t show symptoms, right?  Why should they isolate themselves then?  That’s the part I don’t understand.  Shouldn’t they just stay away from high risk people?  

Many of them live with or come into contact with high risk people. If everyone doesn't hunker down, it will spread rapidly. If young people don't hunker down it will spread rapidly amongst them, and enough people will be infected that it will spread everywhere. If it spreads everywhere then everyone will get sick at once and hospitals will have to leave people to die that would otherwise be saved. The difference in deaths from not isolating will be potentially massive. None of this is new information its been broadcast loud and clear over the past couple months. 

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/coronavirus-california-estimates-255-million-residents-—-56percent-of-the-state-—-will-get-virus-in-next-8-weeks/ar-BB11qOXC?ocid=spartanntp

California estimates that more than half of the state — 25.5 million people — will get the new coronavirus over the next eight weeks, according to a letter sent by Gov. Gavin Newsom to U.S. President Donald Trump.

"In the last 24 hours, we had 126 new COVID-19 cases, a 21 percent increase. In some parts of our state, our case rate is doubling every four days," Newsom wrote in a letter dated Wednesday. Newsom asked Trump to dispatch the USNS Mercy Hospital Ship to the Port of Los Angeles through Sept. 1 to help with the influx of expected cases.  

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

So, until there is a vaccine, how do we stop it from eventually infecting the masses?  This is where I get confused.  

It's called Flattening the Curve.  Basically the same amount of people get sick but over a longer period of time.   Thus the really sick ones can get better care in ICU.  Otherwise, it's the same amount of people getting sick in a short period of time thereby overloading the health system resulting in more deaths.  Look it up.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I like your idea.  Here’s a recent news article from Holland, and it tells of how their government sees the way to beat the virus.

“About 50 to 60 percent of the population of the Netherlands need to be infected by and recovered from Covid-19 for the country to achieve herd immunity against the coronavirus, Jaap van Dissel, head of public health institute RIVM said to Nieuwsuur.

On Monday evening, Prime Minister Mark Rutte said that a large part of the population will likely be infected by the virus, but that this will also build up immunity. "Those who have had the virus are usually immune afterwards," Rutte explained. "The larger the group that is immune, the smaller the chance for the virus to jump to vulnerable elderly people and other people with poor health. With group immunity you build a protective wall around them."

That is the Netherlands' strategy in the fight against this virus. But it means that more people will have to become ill. "We want to spread the virus to people who are not really affected by it," Van Dissel said. "At the same time, you try to protect vulnerable groups as well as possible. If the group that has had the virus is large enough, it will protect the vulnerable against the virus."

With the measures currently in place, the government is trying to "control the virus" as much as possible, and to level off and spread the peak of infections over a longer period. This way, immunity is built up in the population and the healthcare system is not overloaded, Dissel said. 

"This is the middle scenario," Dissel said to Nieuwsuur. On the one side of this middle scenario is a scenario in which no measures are taken and the virus is allowed to spread unhindered. This would make many people sick in a short time and could overload the healthcare system.

On the other side is a "total lockdown", as was announced by other countries. But this is not the best option, according to Van Dissel. "As long as you suppress hard, there is little disease, but as soon as you stop doing that, the virus can come back right away," he said.

He referred to China, where a drastic lockdown was introduced to stop the spread of the virus. Some 80 thousand people in China have had the diseases, but that is a very small percentage of the entire population of some 1.4 billion people. "The disadvantage of such a total lockdown is that the virus will form a kind of peat fire, that there is insufficient build-up of immunity, and that you will therefore always remain sensitive to reintroduction of the virus in the future. If everything is opened up again, foci of infection can re-emerge everywhere."”

https://nltimes.nl/2020/03/17/around-60-nl-residents-must-get-covid-19-herd-immunity-health-institute

It sure sounds like some top thinkers on this matter believe we need to develop the herd immunity to really defeat the virus.  We can’t keep our borders closed forever though.  This is all too confusing. 

https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2020/03/mps-back-ministers-on-coronavirus-herd-immunity-is-not-the-aim-says-rutte/

Stop spreading absolute and total bull$&!#. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1