The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

18 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

Agreed, people shouldn’t get anxiety and panic or worry about their job security for a taking a day off because they’re sick. People should even be allowed to take days off for their mental health. Things have to change.

days off?  we're far beyond that point.  we're all going to be taking all days off......essential workers aside

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, FilthyRich said:

Man I don't know what to believe anymore. 

All I know is my ass just got laid off and I have mouths to feed.

But I spent 3 hours unplugged on the beach today, and took the training wheels off my son's bike and watched him freeride.  That was the best I felt in a week. 

Stay safe and sane, CDC

I think we have to have faith that the govt will follow the Euro economic model of no mortagge, no rent, no bills etc and likely a universal basic income for everyone out of work, which will be all non-essential workers.

Edited by stawns
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

I know what the Prime Minister said about staying home and such.  I don’t understand the concept of the healthy younger people, who have no symptoms, spreading the virus to one another.  A lead doc in California said 50-70 percent of that state’s population will get this virus.  We will not test that many people, so how do these experts know that stuff?  Are they extrapolating using the number of people who are likely asymptomatic based on age or something?  

You have seriously gone off the rails pal.

Young people that continue to gather in groups will get the virus, and then gather near people your old age and infect you.  Even before they show symptoms. That is how disease works.  The government does not want that to happen so we can spread out the infection rates so hospitals do not get stampeded.  My children understand this.

Do you?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

I got curious about Japan’s handling of this virus so I looked up some numbers and details.

https://japantoday.com/category/national/japan-testing-for-coronavirus-at-fraction-of-capacity

This article states Japan has the ability to test 8000 people per day yet has only been testing 1190 per day for a total of 32,125 . Compare that to South Korea testing 20,000 a day and 316,664 total tests.
 They have tested approximately 254 people per 1 million of their population. 
In comparison Canada has tested 50,000 and 1,351 per 1 million population and people have been adamant that Canada is under testing.

If we’re being critical about nations under testing I feel Japan could fall into that category.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-03-19/a-coronavirus-explosion-was-expected-in-japan-where-is-it

A chief health officer at WHO sees one of two possibilities happening in Japan.

Number 1 being that Japan has contained this.

Number 2 being that Japan is going to see a big explosion of cases because of unidentified clusters. He feels the second possibility to be more likely. 

They do have have a strong ability to contain this virus if they get an explosion though because they have 13 beds per 1,000 citizens which is good news. 

Japan will take a significant hit to it economy if the Olympics are cancelled so it begs the question as to whether they are under testing to avoid a drastic increase in cases and continue with the Olympics. They have stated multiple times that they do not want to cancel the Olympics and they must proceed. 

They will be reopening schools soon and resume life as normal, I hope they are right and not under testing for the sake the Olympics and their economy.

Edited by Petey40
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

Been trying to stay away from my phone as much as possible to not get caught in phone loops while social distancing while I'm stuck at home. I had to temporarily (hopefully) close my practice so I have some extra time on my hands. Decided to come check this thread out. What a terrible decision that was.

I can't believe there is anyone even questioning why we are supposed to be staying at home.. That is honestly infuriating.

Unbelievable.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Been trying to stay away from my phone as much as possible to not get caught in phone loops while social distancing while I'm stuck at home. I had to temporarily (hopefully) close my practice so I have some extra time on my hands. Decided to come check this thread out. What a terrible decision that was.

I can't believe there is anyone even questioning why we are supposed to be staying at home.. That is honestly infuriating.

Unbelievable.

Narcissistic society. It’s a personal inconvenience to some, but if they felt like they were drowning in their own lung fluid for a week or two after contracting it, maybe their attitudes would change.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

7 hours ago, Petey40 said:

I got curious about Japan’s handling of this virus so I looked up some numbers and details.

https://japantoday.com/category/national/japan-testing-for-coronavirus-at-fraction-of-capacity

This article states Japan has the ability to test 8000 people per day yet has only been testing 1190 per day for a total of 32,125 . Compare that to South Korea testing 20,000 a day and 316,664 total tests.
 They have tested approximately 254 people per 1 million of their population. 
In comparison Canada has tested 50,000 and 1,351 per 1 million population and people have been adamant that Canada is under testing.

If we’re being critical about nations under testing I feel Japan could fall into that category.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-03-19/a-coronavirus-explosion-was-expected-in-japan-where-is-it

A chief health officer at WHO sees one of two possibilities happening in Japan.

Number 1 being that Japan has contained this.

Number 2 being that Japan is going to see a big explosion of cases because of unidentified clusters. He feels the second possibility to be more likely. 

They do have have a strong ability to contain this virus if they get an explosion though because they have 13 beds per 1,000 citizens which is good news. 

Japan will take a significant hit to it economy if the Olympics are cancelled so it begs the question as to whether they are under testing to avoid a drastic increase in cases and continue with the Olympics. They have stated multiple times that they do not want to cancel the Olympics and they must proceed. 

They will be reopening schools soon and resume life as normal, I hope they are right and not under testing for the sake the Olympics and their economy

Edited by samurai
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

You have seriously gone off the rails pal.

Young people that continue to gather in groups will get the virus, and then gather near people your old age and infect you.  Even before they show symptoms. That is how disease works.  The government does not want that to happen so we can spread out the infection rates so hospitals do not get stampeded.  My children understand this.

Do you?

Why be rude?  The government is doing a good job telling young healthy people to stay away from high risk groups.  But, if top experts in epidemiology are saying we need to develop a herd immunity (60% infected and recovered) to defeat this virus, then how do we get to those numbers, while keeping our at risk people safe, and still having an economically viable country?  

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

If you’re young, and at really low risk to suffer any ill effects of this virus, why are you in quarantine?  If I may ask.  

You go outside, get infected, come home. No symptoms. You're good right?

You a nice person so you make your family sandwiches, they eat them, become infected. Let's say a total of 5 people are now infected. Those people are also generous people and give neighbors some food, supplies, etc. Those people are now infected. The cycle continues

How many are now infected that are not young and healthy and now might be fighting for their lives?

All because 1 healthy young person wasn't scared of it killing them

And they were right, their fine. Now grandma has sadly passed, aunt Barb in in ICU fighting for her life, uncle bill who just beat cancer is fighting for his life (AGAIN!), and you're home eating some ice cream with mild symptoms not realizing that you caused all of that mess.

The people gathering in beaches in the US should be arrested and quarantined for at least 30 days

Edited by Brock Botanen
  • Thanks 3
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, spur1 said:

The very fact that you ask this question tells me you are trolling or just a freaking idiot. Young people are dying too. Wake to heck up. 

Are they?  Please provide data to support, that healthy young people are dying from Covid 19.  All I’m able to find is that healthy young people get the virus, but are asymptomatic and can spread it to the high risk elderly.  If you show data to the contrary, I will gladly read it.  

• Wat 3

3 minutes ago, Brock Botanen said:

You go outside, get infected, come home. No symptoms. You're good right?

You a nice person so you make your family sandwiches, they eat them, become infected. Let's say a total of 5 people are now infected. Those people are also generous people and give neighbors some food, supplies, etc. Those people are now infected. The cycle continues

How many are now infected that are not young and healthy and now might be fighting for their lives?

All because 1 healthy young person wasn't scared of it killing them

Thank you.  That makes perfect sense.  I’m trying to understand how we can defeat this virus without herd immunity.  Are you saying (which is helping me understand, so thank you for that) that the virus will die out if there are no longer any hosts to infect?  To me that makes sense, and appears to be what China did, right?  

• Wat 1