The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

12 minutes ago, nux4lyfe said:

This is truly the 'zombie' virus, at least feels like it. Never seen anything like it..in my life so far at least. 9/11 was the craziest sh!t I've seen, This is close.

It's 'funny' they spend $600 billion on the department of defense (something astronomical like that) to prevent another 9/11, but the CDC is a minuscule 6 billion - and now the States very well have the potential to get ravaged by a virus because of the under funding and nonchalant attitude for several weeks. Oh, and there is no Coronastan so the might of the US military can't bring democracy to it. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 2

2 hours ago, Jester13 said:

This thread is so heated at times and sporadic in information that I'm starting to wonder:

Are people saying that asymptomatic people who have not been around anyone with COVID-19 cannot leave the house and, say, go for walks, even if they practice proper social distancing guidelines?

Outside and observing the social distancing and don't touch surfaces unnecessarily rule of thumb seems fine.  Sadly, too many are ignoring the guidelines as I experienced this morning.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, nux4lyfe said:

This is truly the 'zombie' virus, at least feels like it. Never seen anything like it..in my life so far at least. 9/11 was the craziest sh!t I've seen, This is close.

Umm 9/11 was nothing like this at least the way things are in Alberta. I can't speak for the United States or British Columbia but it is a ghost town in Alberta. Nothing is open sure business is closed out there the Twin Towers got attacked however not for this long for crying out loud schools have been shut down for a week in Alberta now actually over a week and not even going to open again until the start of the next school year.

23 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

It's 'funny' they spend $600 billion on the department of defense (something astronomical like that) to prevent another 9/11, but the CDC is a minuscule 6 billion - and now the States very well have the potential to get ravaged by a virus because of the under funding and nonchalant attitude for several weeks. Oh, and there is no Coronastan so the might of the US military can't bring democracy to it. 

I'm pretty sure it's over 700 billion actually. It's funny you say that because I've always said that look at what they spend on their military and tell me how they can't have a cure for almost everything in the world. For whatever reason it's more important for us to spend money on ways to kill each other then to save each other.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

Umm 9/11 was nothing like this at least the way things are in Alberta. I can't speak for the United States or British Columbia but it is a ghost town in Alberta. Nothing is open sure business is closed out there the Twin Towers got attacked however not for this long for crying out loud schools have been shut down for a week in Alberta now actually over a week and not even going to open again until the start of the next school year.

I'm pretty sure it's over 700 billion actually. It's funny you say that because I've always said that look at what they spend on their military and tell me how they can't have a cure for almost everything in the world. For whatever reason it's more important for us to spend money on ways to kill each other then to save each other.

Profit motive is behind a lot of things. Why come up with a cure for things if you can continue to have people pouring money into treatment of symptoms. And no, that's not some conspiracy loony bull$&!#. That's actually how many people think and how capitalism works. 

Edited by Tortorella's Rant
  • Cheers 3

Ran to the story this morning to grab some dishwasher detergent. Just about everybody seemed to be practicing social distancing. I was wary as soon as I saw a mom and three kids in line (older boy, 2 younger girls around 7-10 years old) ahead of me, mom was chatting with the lady ahead while the kids played near the trolleys. They were touching just about everything as well as pressing their faces into the glass. Later on when we were all inside the store, the boy decided that he was going to be "Coronavirus" while he ran around chasing the girls. Its hard to really make kids under a certain age understand the seriousness of this. Its also difficult for me to say something to the mother, what if it is a single parent who couldn't find a babysitter? 

I am now taking even more precautions lol. With anything that I bring from outside into the home or take outside, I don't bring it more than ~8 feet from the front door. Can't wipe everything down or I would run out of wipes, but a change of clothes, leaving any grocery inside a cabinet next to my front door for as long as they say the virus sticks to the surface (3 days for plastic, 24hours for cardboard is what I am following) before bringing it inside. May seem like overkill but it hasn't been too much of an inconvenience.

• Cheers 1

I'm a little annoyed by the traveller stories of people who chose to travel in the last 6 weeks and are now stuck and complaining that the government isn't giving them enough info or help. I think they have their hands full, maybe? just a little? And it was your choice. 

If you want to be found when you travel, use this site to register with Foreign Affairs. If you don't take a minute to do this before you travel, its very hard for anyone in the government to find you. 

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/registration

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Profit motive is behind a lot of things. Why come up with a cure for things if you can continue to have people pouring money into treatment of symptoms. And no, that's not some conspiracy loony bull$&!#. That's actually how many people think and how capitalism works. 

Pretty sure you are bang on.

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

outside walks are fine, if people don't they're going to go nuts. 

crazy.jpg

19 minutes ago, Amaneey said:

We've got a few people under 50 on life support at the moment just in my ICU. Don't you get what that means? What happens when more and more people get really sick, we run out of ventilators? We run out drugs keeping them alive? Frontline staff getting burnt out? People are going to die, including the so called young and healthy ones.

I think people arguing against what medical experts are saying at this point about social distancing are just selfish, ignorant and plainly put, dumb. Experts across the world are saying the same thing. Unless these ppl have a degree in any relevant medical field and actually see what's going on in the hospitals, they can keep their ignorant opinions to themselves.

People don't get it

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Amaneey said:

We've got a few people under 50 on life support at the moment just in my ICU. Don't you get what that means? What happens when more and more people get really sick, we run out of ventilators? We run out drugs keeping them alive? Frontline staff getting burnt out? People are going to die, including the so called young and healthy ones.

I think people arguing against what medical experts are saying at this point about social distancing are just selfish, ignorant and plainly put, dumb. Experts across the world are saying the same thing. Unless these ppl have a degree in any relevant medical field and actually see what's going on in the hospitals, they can keep their ignorant opinions to themselves.

how much capacity is there normally in the ICU for vent's? just wondering what the extra burden has been so far from covid19. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

how much capacity is there normally in the ICU for vent's? just wondering what the extra burden has been so far from covid19. 

In Vernon, we have 4 I believe, Kelowna apparently has 6.  That's what nurses at VJH and KGH told me anyway.

Edited by stawns