The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

21 minutes ago, Amaneey said:

Not to get too specific about my place of work, but in my hospital we can have about 25 - 35 vented patients. By the time I left work yesterday, I think we had 10-14 query/positive COVID patients needing to be vented. That's just COVID patients... In my estimate we are usually at least 70% full with patients needing life support for other reasons - pneumonia, cardiac arrest, septic shock etc. Now with this pandemic, there is definitely doing to be a crunch for resources and staff.

well that sure explains why we need to flatten the curve. 

I imagine that number of people being place on vents is also going to strain the rehab staff as well once they are out of ICU. 

Has there been any talk of trying out the chloroquine treatments for some people? I realize they have to be very careful with it, just wondering if you're seeing any of that being tried at all to try to keep people off vents. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, FilthyRich said:

GoldenEye? 

Donkey Kong 64 and a couple of Zelda games. My daughter likes those.

When she was little, she and I spent a lot of time together on DK64.....me with the controller and her giving direction. (even as a child, she had an uncanny ability to navigate maze-like video game worlds)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AppleJack said:

Eb games was trying to justify its self as an essential service and for staff to ignore police requests to close its doors.

• Haha 1

Just now, Violator said:

Eb games was trying to justify its self as an essential service and for staff to ignore police requests to close its doors.

Selling video games ( especially those that can bought online) is not a essential service:angry:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm a little annoyed by the traveller stories of people who chose to travel in the last 6 weeks and are now stuck and complaining that the government isn't giving them enough info or help. I think they have their hands full, maybe? just a little? And it was your choice. 

If you want to be found when you travel, use this site to register with Foreign Affairs. If you don't take a minute to do this before you travel, its very hard for anyone in the government to find you. 

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/registration

Couple people on my Facebook are down in mexico.few others are just finding out about whats going on in the last week.

2 minutes ago, AppleJack said:

Selling video games ( especially those that can bought online) is not a essential service:angry:

People figured its because how bad gamestop is financially right know.They might not start back up if they close.

• Like 1

For the homes of vulnerable people in particular:

Since this virus isn't very heat resistant - Virological scientists are suggesting that below 25 degrees C, 77 F it can live up to days.   (Germany's Centre for Experimental and Clinical Infection Research)   And in warmer conditions, and in direct sunlight as little as 2-5 minutes.  In warmer conditions outside of direct sunlight, 13-20 minutes (obviously varying depending on a number of situational conditions...but as a general guideline....

It would seem that a good defense for people that may be concerned about the immediate surroundings of particularly elderly and/or at risk people.... would be to periodically, for a short period, get the heat inside of their living quarters up into the 30 degree C / 86 F - range - if even for only 10-20 minutes.

I realize this may be an energy/resource issue for some, particularly low income people already financially challenged - but it would seem like a logic way in which people might combat any potential transmission into homes.

It could be a limited application type thing - just do this once - and then on the rare occasions where you need to potentially intermittently break your self-distancing/isolation - ie after having gone to grocery stores, medical facilities, etc - or had others come by - to drop off groceries, or whatever....

Another precaution - aside from point of entry hand washing at places like grocery stores - and then afterwards - and exercising caution with the items you have taken into your home.

Beyond that, you can exercise best-practices of what health care workers do - which is to, whenever possible, where clean clothes when entering a public or private place outside your home, and then wash those clothes when you return to your own home - so that you are not tracking, or at least reducing as much as possilbe - in either direction, any potential tranmission via surface/object.  You can also be mindful of your shoes - that they too can pick up virus, particularly previously airborne virus that has landed and not yet expired.  This is an additional reason not to wear shoes from outside your home, into your home.

But the main thing I'm getting at here is the possible use of heat - to hypothetically kill any potential virus in immediate living quarters - and also where things like pillows, clothing, towels, etc are concerned - if you don't change/wash these items frequently - one useful measure could be to put them in your dryer for 10 or 15 minutes and you've likely 'sanitized' them in the process.

• Thanks 4

18 minutes ago, oldnews said:

For the homes of vulnerable people in particular:

Since this virus isn't very heat resistant - Virological scientists are suggesting that below 25 degrees C, 77 F it can live up to days.   (Germany's Centre for Experimental and Clinical Infection Research)   And in warmer conditions, and in direct sunlight as little as 2-5 minutes.  In warmer conditions outside of direct sunlight, 13-20 minutes (obviously varying depending on a number of situational conditions...but as a general guideline....

It would seem that a good defense for people that may be concerned about the immediate surroundings of particularly elderly and/or at risk people.... would be to periodically, for a short period, get the heat inside of their living quarters up into the 30 degree C / 86 F - range - if even for only 10-20 minutes.

I realize this may be an energy/resource issue for some, particularly low income people already financially challenged - but it would seem like a logic way in which people might combat any potential transmission into homes.

It could be a limited application type thing - just do this once - and then on the rare occasions where you need to potentially intermittently break your self-distancing/isolation - ie after having gone to grocery stores, medical facilities, etc - or had others come by - to drop off groceries, or whatever....

Another precaution - aside from point of entry hand washing at places like grocery stores - and then afterwards - and exercising caution with the items you have taken into your home.

Beyond that, you can exercise best-practices of what health care workers do - which is to, whenever possible, where clean clothes when entering a public or private place outside your home, and then wash those clothes when you return to your own home - so that you are not tracking, or at least reducing as much as possilbe - in either direction, any potential tranmission via surface/object.  You can also be mindful of your shoes - that they too can pick up virus, particularly previously airborne virus that has landed and not yet expired.  This is an additional reason not to wear shoes from outside your home, into your home.

But the main thing I'm getting at here is the possible use of heat - to hypothetically kill any potential virus in immediate living quarters - and also where things like pillows, clothing, towels, etc are concerned - if you don't change/wash these items frequently - one useful measure could be to put them in your dryer for 10 or 15 minutes and you've likely 'sanitized' them in the process.

I've been hitting the sauna up twice a day.  I know the heat inside won't kill anything but i do a little workout and it helps me drink a lot of water - I think it also builds up the immune system. 

• Like 2