The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

2 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

I've been hitting the sauna up twice a day.  I know the heat inside won't kill anything but i do a little workout and it helps me drink a lot of water - I think it also builds up the immune system. 

which sauna is open for you ?   my strata complex closed all the rec facilities, and so did the city 

unless you have a sauna in your home... then i'm just mega jealous 

4 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

which sauna is open for you ?   my strata complex closed all the rec facilities, and so did the city 

Our building has one and no one has noticed yet.  I sanitize before I use it.  I am sure they'll close it down but I think it's an afterthought - not many use it.  You could just have a mega hot shower.

7 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

I've been hitting the sauna up twice a day.  I know the heat inside won't kill anything but i do a little workout and it helps me drink a lot of water - I think it also builds up the immune system. 

That's great.

What I'm kinda suggesting is to turn your elderly parent's home into a 'sauna' (not quite but you get the point) - for at least for 15-20 minutes or so - (most seniors LOVE and need to be warm in any event - although this is to a level that might make them uncomfortable - so mid-day on a nice warm one when they can potentially step out into sun for a bit, might be ideal.

Or firing up their wood-stove, etc...within reason. 

If it is as vulnerable to heat as suggested - we're not talking extreme heat here - we are talking a simple, manageable 'attack' that could potentially protect people - particularly homes where there is fear that traffic may have exposed the home - it's a simple, relatively inexpensive measure in the end.

Gov. Pritzker (Illinois) just gave to order to "shelter in place" for the entire state.  All business not deemed essential to the state to shut down and all non essential employees to remain in doors (other than life necessities)

Eagerly awaiting to see how many people and businesses ignore the order.  Restaurants and bars were supposed to close Monday and yet many ignored it...I assume not much will change with this order too.  No stopping selfish.

11 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

you can make one easily in 5 minutes.

large, thick wool blanket.

pot of water with lid.

heat safe surface to set it on the floor.

boil water - put whatever you like in their (eucalyptus, whatever).

get under that blanket and open the lid to the degree you can tolerate / let air in to the degree you're comfortable.

An old friend of mine used to refer to this as "African sauna"

Awesome, simple, low tech, perfectly clean one -person "sauna".   actually more of a 'steam-room' - which is arguably better for you and your lungs than a sauna.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, Violator said:

People figured its because how bad gamestop is financially right know.They might not start back up if they close.

Wouldnt they qualify for some of that business money Trudeau put aside for business impacted.

8 minutes ago, oldnews said:

pot of water with lid.

get under that blanket and open the lid to the degree you can tolerate / let air in to the degree you're comfortable.

Awesome, simple, low tech, perfectly clean one -person "sauna".   actually more of a 'steam-room' - which is arguably better for you and your lungs than a sauna.

blinking trailer park boys GIF

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Question, because I don't have Facebook: 

Is there any advertising going on on social media to promote proper healthy safety practices? There is such a large population of people who don't watch the news, so I can only imagine there are large swathes of people who have no idea what's really going on and how to do their part. 

So, when we think that people are just being selfish, maybe they're just plain ignorant to the severity of the situation?

Nah.

There was a viral meme on Facebook that said gargle salt in your throat to kill the virus.

Another one that said the virus can't survive in heat up to 27 degrees ... even though the human body is 36-37 degrees?

And there's a ton of essays posted by anonymous doctors from anonymous countries working in anonymous hospitals and they all have differing "warnings"

Also, F45 is advertising their gyms on Facebook. They should fire their ad company.

11 minutes ago, oldnews said:

That's great.

What I'm kinda suggesting is to turn your elderly parent's home into a 'sauna' (not quite but you get the point) - for at least for 15-20 minutes or so - (most seniors LOVE and need to be warm in any event - although this is to a level that might make them uncomfortable - so mid-day on a nice warm one when they can potentially step out into sun for a bit, might be ideal.

Or firing up their wood-stove, etc...within reason. 

If it is as vulnerable to heat as suggested - we're not talking extreme heat here - we are talking a simple, manageable 'attack' that could potentially protect people - particularly homes where there is fear that traffic may have exposed the home - it's a simple, relatively inexpensive measure in the end.

I bet the heat kills it - I was just talking about the heat from breathing in the sauna won't do anything as our bodies cool the air down otherwise we'd burn on the inside.  This was already proven on the Joe Rogan Podcast and I've never seen him so disappointed from an answer lol.

• Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, oldnews said:

pot of water with lid.

I do the steam room by just putting some plastic(6' poly sheet) over my shower door.