The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

5 minutes ago, gurn said:

and are struggling with serious shortages of both test kits and protective equipment for medical workers. The shortages have forced hospitals to adopt risky practices like reusing masks and having staff wear bandanas when no mask is available.

From the msn link

". The shortages have forced hospitals to adopt risky practices like reusing masks and having staff wear bandanas when no mask is available."

Speaking as a former health care worker and 25 year holder of an OFA level 3 ticket I assure you that:

NO WAY in hell would I ever work with a used mask or a bandana as a mask.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

people need to calm down a little bit on the economic great depression / massive doom thing. Things are still going on, even in China, e.g., manufacturing is not shut down. My wife runs an R&D group and they had a Skype meeting with a manufacturer in the Jiangsu area. The Chinese team were all wearing masks and gloves, but they were all still working on a new product design and things are still moving along. Yes a little slower and in a weird way but China is not 'shut down' as some people suggest. Same thing will happen everywhere else, sooner than later. 

China is getting back to work.  Vietnam has always been at work.  Same with Taiwan and Japan and Korea.   I was even doing business with companies in China during their shutdown - things were a bit slower but the system was working.   Things are going to look better in a few weeks.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

56 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't know if its still that way, I haven't been there for a heck of a long time. Can probably still find a good perogie (not that machine made crap) I bet. 

I got so bored staying home I made a batch of perogy. Made a few with blueberries for desert. (Didn’t have saskatoons). 

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, samurai said:

China is getting back to work.  Vietnam has always been at work.  Same with Taiwan and Japan and Korea.   I was even doing business with companies in China during their shutdown - things were a bit slower but the system was working.   Things are going to look better in a few weeks.  

this is really important to remember over the next two weeks when the reporting of cases spikes up in the US and Canada, these countries have been through it and are still working. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, spur1 said:

I got so bored staying home I made a batch of perogy. Made a few with blueberries for desert. (Didn’t have saskatoons). 

nice, thats on my list for next week too. And gnocchi since my wife is Italian. Gnocchi with a simple brown butter sauce is really comforting stuff. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

this is really important to remember over the next two weeks when the reporting of cases spikes up in the US and Canada, these countries have been through it and are still working. 

because they managed it better.  All eyes should be on china and re-infection

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Jester13 said:

A great depression, not THE great depression.

Air travel: fooked

Tourism: fooked

School at all levels: shut down

Service industry: shut down

Dental industry: shut down 

Shall I go on? 

This isn't just a wait-two-weeks sort of thing. This is much more serious than that. 

you don't understand what I mean.  the situation right now is people are at home.  In about 2-3 (i think closer to 2) we should see a flattening of the curve and then from there the gov't should be able to give a clearer picture with some good news.  This virus is not going to go away, every knows that.  BUT as we are seeing in Asia it can be contained and life brought back to a more 'workable' level.   I am in Japan and everything is open, except schools  and those have now started going back.  And large events.  Those will probably be mid to late April.  The WHO has said countries need to do more than lockdown because the virus will be brought under control and people will got back to work and we cannot afford to do lockdowns once there is flare up  again which there will be.   We need long term workable measures.  Specifically systems in place were infections are identified quickly and people who were in contact are identified and isolated.  

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Honestly if it's that contagious that they don't want people walking within 2ft of each other while outside than they shouldn't be allowing people to gather in public places.  Furthermore this public shaming, contrary to popular belief, is not going to help.  If it's that dangerous than it's on the government for not taking drastic measures, kind of getting annoyed at all the shaming for people that just want to go for a walk - especially people that think they're infecting everyone, again if it's that serious no of us should be outside.

I find it hard to believe that you would be for martial law, but against public shaming

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, samurai said:

you don't understand what I mean.  the situation right now is people are at home.  In about 2-3 (i think closer to 2) we should see a flattening of the curve and then from there the gov't should be able to give a clearer picture with some good news.  This virus is not going to go away, every knows that.  BUT as we are seeing in Asia it can be contained and life brought back to a more 'workable' level.   I am in Japan and everything is open, except schools  and those have now started going back.  And large events.  Those will probably be mid to late April.  The WHO has said countries need to do more than lockdown because the virus will be brought under control and people will got back to work and we cannot afford to do lockdowns once there is flare up  again which there will be.   We need long term workable measures.  Specifically systems in place were infections are identified quickly and people who were in contact are identified and isolated.  

pretty good chance we missed our window to manage it that way.

12 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

I sincerely hope none of these people will be returning home to BC.

Hide contents

image.png.04b9f4b258d63295a3b0c18e3f3e6c63.png

Interesting article I ran across today. They are puzzled in the US as unlike China 40% of hospitalized cases are in the 19-54 age group. 

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

pretty good chance we missed our window to manage it that way.

yeah, we did sort of, but the shutdown is like 'reseting' the game.   And even a few weeks of people not interacting can be a game changer.   The WHO knows this and that is why they are now saying that countries need to have longterm systems in place that can catch infections very quickly and isolate all people in contact.  With such a system we should be able to get back to life so to speak because the virus is now with us for a long time.

13 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

I sincerely hope none of these people will be returning home to BC.

Hide contents

image.png.04b9f4b258d63295a3b0c18e3f3e6c63.png

Meh.... To be honest, I just might be willing to sacrifice my long term health for short term gains.

Got a GPS attached to that tweet? :ph34r:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, samurai said:

yeah, we did sort of, but the shutdown is like 'reseting' the game.   And even a few weeks of people not interacting can be a game changer.   The WHO knows this and that is why they are now saying that countries need to have longterm systems in place that can catch infections very quickly and isolate all people in contact.  With such a system we should be able to get back to life so to speak because the virus is now with us for a long time.

we're in the forst minute of the forst period of this thing.  Who knows what's going to happen in the third?  Things are going to get rough