The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

2 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

All politicians are looking for memorable sound bytes for their next election campaigns and fund raising etc. Sad;y, that's what being a politician is all about.

I don't think you have to wait a few months to see what could have been done better if anything. They, along with everyone else had a 5 week head start to get prepared while the virus ransacked China and the Far East. We all knew it was coming. It was already in the west 5 weeks ago. So to find yourself in a position where hospitals are begging the general public to sew masks and gowns if they can. That should have been preventable. Scrambling factories to ramp up production now, rather than then. You can pass judgment on that now can't you?

Having told people it's not a big deal and that it will go away. You can pass judgment on that right now.

Yeah.... the problem is I don’t know too many people who didn’t think that at one point very recently.  He should have listened sooner BUT he’s definitely not the only one in that boat by a long shot. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

You have a couple of months before you’ll know if he did what he could or not.  Like I said, their system is a disaster and don’t think a pandemic is going to make the absolutely ridiculous partisanship disappear.  I get it everyone loves to hate Trump, it’s the cool thing to do, maybe just take a step back and don’t take everything you hear at face value. 

Didn't trump stop travel from China before Trudeau did? Also if Trump got intelligence in January it's almost certain JT did as well. So if Trump is being locked up then shouldn't Jt as well? I would gladly take that trade off.B)

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

You keep saying Canada, but I'm also talking about the US, who we will see very shortly a massive surge in cases, and the rest of the world. I'm talking about the effect that this is having globally, and I personally don't foresee this being levelled out in a couple weeks globally like you keep comparing everything to in Japan.

Not just to Japan, Asia.  Massive surge caused by more testing.  The important number is critical hospitalizations not number of overall cases.  The US has a leadership vacuum not to mention other issues, yes they are a unknown for sure. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Didn't trump stop travel from China before Trudeau did? Also if Trump got intelligence in January it's almost certain JT did as well. So if Trump is being locked up then shouldn't Jt as well? I would gladly take that trade off.B)

Nah, Trump is way, like way, worse.

JT sucks these days though, I'll give you that.

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Like I said.... I’m the wrong guy to be picking this fight.  I don’t like Donald enough to be good at defending him.... my spidey senses just start tingling when ruthlessly and ceasingly trashing someone is the cool and acceptable thing to do. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

JT won't escape the fallout. As long as the Cons manage to elect someone who isn't a complete Goober that person will be the next Prime Minister.

Hey here is a little shout out for our little golf course here in Nanaimo

So, Cottonwood Golf Course is allow to have 50 people total on their grounds at one time, including staff

so we will go, all in separate cars. and maintain our social distancing of 6 ft

I have went once already and the Pro shop allows 1 person in at a time to pay

The manager punches in the bill and puts the debit machine on the counter then moves away at least 6 ft, more like 10 ft

Me wearing my gloves pays for the round of golf, then exits through the other door, allowing the next person to enter

Great little course, and fun people...…...some tight fairways...….a nice public course,

and Obviously well ran.....very reasonable rates...Toot, Toot!

2 hours ago, stawns said:

because they managed it better.  

and the fact that all the infrastructure and systems they have, and we have, aren't being destroyed. Its all there to go back to in a few weeks. 

Just now, bishopshodan said:

Trump would agree with this part of your sentence. 

Funny thing is, I’ll take whichever side isn’t being represented when it comes to Donald.  I have family that loves him... I make sure they know he doesn’t do a lot of things well. 

I’m just blown away by the way people loose their crap over him.  I didn’t like Obama, I don’t like Trudeau... at all..... I just don’t view that as reason to lose my civility.... Id like to believe people can be better than that. 

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, High and Inside said:

I don’t know where you are getting your numbers from. The USA is only about 2.25 times Canada. If you take cases per 1 million people of population ours is about 38 and the USA is 98. That’s the number if you want to compare. Plus most of the cases in the USA are in NYC and it’s so dense there and hard to shut down that it inevitable they would have a harder time controlling the spread. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

a chilling comparison between canada (1 case) and usa (795 cases) are the critically ill cases

usa is going to be extremely different then canada

nyc is absolutely exploding with cases now.. they have 5% of the cases world wide now

maybe you can let me know where you are getting your numbers ?

4 hours ago, gurn said:

https://www.covid-19canada.com/       as of 3/22/20 11:30 PDT

US       30,291 cases    388 deaths

Canada     1,426 cases   19 deaths

30, 291 divide by 1,426 =  21.24    Very close to each other, in fact the link says both counties are at 1.3% mortality.

388  divide by 19   = 20.42

iirc The US population is between 9 and 10 times that of Canada.

thanks

and exactly

1 hour ago, BPA said:

Being in good health doesn't mean you can't catch the virus.   Just means that it is less likely that it would be fatal.

I know that, but if it was so hard on his body, you can imagine what it will do to your average North American couch potato body.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, samurai said:

At some point the Canadian gov't needs to be held accountable for this.  This is one of their basic jobs, there are people that get paid to follow this.  Why did Singapore and Taiwan get it so right and had far less time than us.  Now is not the time, but people need to ask why our gov't appears to have acted negligently.  Trudeau has failed at what was his most critical test.

It is one thing to say well we couldn't predict the earthquake but this is completely different.  All the experts who follow this say this was going to happen - not hindsight is 50/50 stuff either.   It is amazing that the gov't here didn't even bother to think hey why is Taiwan going full out on this right now in January.  Why are the Chinese with their vast resources struggling to control this and going full lockdown for 700 plus million people.  Hey perhaps our open border is not a good idea that the moment.  All Canadians were told is yeah we are watching things - yeah exactly right watching things.    

you answered your own question, because they had to. For whatever reason, we thought we had time. 

I'm sure there will be a call for an inquiry as to who knew what and when, etc. 

• Wat 1