The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

Trump considers easing stay-at-home warnings to curb economic rout

Mon 23 Mar 2020 12:51:48 GMT

That seems premature

That seems premature
There is now a second report -- from Bloomberg -- that Trump is considering changing his messaging.

A report about 50 minutes ago from the NYT suggests something similar as does Trump's latest tweets.

"WE CANNOT LET THE CURE BE WORSE THAN THE PROBLEM ITSELF," Mr. Trump tweeted in all capital letters shortly before midnight. "AT THE END OF THE 15 DAY PERIOD, WE WILL MAKE A DECISION AS TO WHICH WAY WE WANT TO GO!"
On Friday, I wrote about how policymakers were likely to switch to a Plan B and this is it.

What worries me is that the Fed is pivoting so quickly. Social distancing measures haven't even set in for most of the US. A harsh 15-day period followed by a slow restart would slow the virus and pay dividends over time. Trump highlighting an end to it already is going to mean people don't take it seriously and cases could spike higher than otherwise.

As for the market impact, I think that could backfire if/when cases explode throughout the country. This is basically a pivot towards something more like the 'herd immunity', which I also warned about.

tweet trump

17 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Trump considers easing stay-at-home warnings to curb economic rout

Mon 23 Mar 2020 12:51:48 GMT

That seems premature

That seems premature
There is now a second report -- from Bloomberg -- that Trump is considering changing his messaging.

A report about 50 minutes ago from the NYT suggests something similar as does Trump's latest tweets.

"WE CANNOT LET THE CURE BE WORSE THAN THE PROBLEM ITSELF," Mr. Trump tweeted in all capital letters shortly before midnight. "AT THE END OF THE 15 DAY PERIOD, WE WILL MAKE A DECISION AS TO WHICH WAY WE WANT TO GO!"
On Friday, I wrote about how policymakers were likely to switch to a Plan B and this is it.

What worries me is that the Fed is pivoting so quickly. Social distancing measures haven't even set in for most of the US. A harsh 15-day period followed by a slow restart would slow the virus and pay dividends over time. Trump highlighting an end to it already is going to mean people don't take it seriously and cases could spike higher than otherwise.

As for the market impact, I think that could backfire if/when cases explode throughout the country. This is basically a pivot towards something more like the 'herd immunity', which I also warned about.

tweet trump

This won't happen. 

At work currently wearing a mask.  50/50 on having this my last day, going to talk about my options.  The CEO sent another email on why we remain open but this time he didn't mention that any employee can refused work - also says our products are critical to global infrastructures (which may be true if we're currently working on any hospital projects) but it's just business as usual.  There's no way employees here can maintain safe distance at all times and I've already heard two people coughing.  I am thinking stress leave - I do not want to use my vacation pay.   

• Cheers 4

15 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

At work currently wearing a mask.  50/50 on having this my last day, going to talk about my options.  The CEO sent another email on why we remain open but this time he didn't mention that any employee can refused work - also says our products are critical to global infrastructures (which may be true if we're currently working on any hospital projects) but it's just business as usual.  There's no way employees here can maintain safe distance at all times and I've already heard two people coughing.  I am thinking stress leave - I do not want to use my vacation pay.   

I, too, have to work and although I've implemented all the "safe" measures I can as the person in charge of the office (over a week ago), my boss isn't "remembering" protocol and continues to come too close.  "Trying" isn't good enough and I'm super stressed when I'm at work.  We also (the 3 of us) share one very tiny bathroom which is a big no for me at the best of times, let alone the worst.

We don't have supplies on hand and are running low of wipes (last few) and Lysol (almost empty).  We have 2 rolls of TP left.  My boss bought two boxes of N95 masks for himself weeks ago and has no family here (at all) but has not offered one to us, as his employees (not that they do much, but would be a nice gesture to think of "sharing").  I'm expected to "shop" for the office but am now refusing to do so...I have a father and son vulnerable in all of this.  So...no.  Last week was my last trip to the store...he needed binders of all things.  This crap can wait.

Good luck TM...for all of us.  It's such a weird thing to have to navigate but it's important that we get it right for everyone's sake.  My boss was still resistant to completely locking down the office to visitors until I said "it's them or me" but, hopefully, our Government will make this a little easier on us by doing so.  SOON! I have to keep coming up with "ideas" to keep us safe...like when he needs courier service (and I go outside to sign for stuff using my pen, then have to wash my poor, battered, sand paper hands!).  

My boss is very stubborn and we butt heads a lot...but there is NO compromise for me in this and I think he's finally getting that.  I've had to say "I'll walk" a few times in relation to the slow drag to get him to accept the seriousness of this.  I mean it, too.  A job isn't worth jeopardizing my family.

Good luck, TM....do what you have to and don't settle for something that makes you uneasy in it all.  That little voice inside is worth listening to.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

12 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Not sure if this is the reason but just a thought. Singapore and Taiwan are islands. It's much easier to control an island. Singapore is pretty authoritarian for a democracy.

Islands....relatively small nations (especially Singapore) but most importantly, IMO, much closer to the epicenter of the outbreak than Canada.

I can't speak for any world leaders, but for myself and most people I know, I didn't expect it to become pandemic and I didn't expect it to happen so quickly. Maybe western governments should have, but it's easy for me to see why Southeast Asian countries would be more concerned about a viral outbreak in China than North American countries.

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I don't agree with this - leadership is about...leading.  Solidarity shouldn't come with potential risk and Canada is thinking about it's citizens/athletes.  They're being applauded for taking charge.  This isn't a popularity contest, it's a worldwide crisis.

Agreed.

TBH, this idea of "Solidarity = Leadership" strikes me as odd......"I'm going to show leadership by waiting to see what everyone else says and does and then follow suit".....to me that's the opposite of leadership....:unsure:

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

COVID-19 UPDATE - Sun, Mar 22, 6pm: The City of Richmond is closing the following outdoor amenities effective immediately:

Sports fields
 Tennis courts
 Basketball courts
 Volleyball courts
 Skate parks
 Bike parks
 Lacrosse boxes
 West Richmond outdoor fitness area

Signage will be posted tomorrow. These closures are in addition to the already announced significant measures summarized here: bit.ly/33ElXuO.

The City remains in regular contact with Medical Health Officers from Vancouver Coastal Health and the B.C. Centre for Disease Control, the leading agencies for local public health, and continues to follow the direction and Orders of these agencies.

Please abide by the Orders and the direction of the public health authorities and do your part in following risk reduction measures.

8 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Islands....relative small nations (especially Singapore) but most importantly, IMO, much closer to the epicenter of the outbreak than Canada.

I can't speak for any world leaders, but for myself and most people I know, I didn't expect it to become pandemic and I didn't expect it to happen so quickly. Maybe western governments should have, but it's easy for me to see why Southeast Asian countries would be more concerned about a viral outbreak in China than North American countries.

One of the main jobs of gov’t is to protect its citizens. Their job is to expect the unexpected. Have you heard of the term ‘global village’. It refers to the idea that the world is getting smaller.  It takes exactly 8 and half hours to fly from Tokyo to Vancouver.  Sometimes less.  Does that seem far or close to you?  

9 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

BC's top Doctor feels the need to take Sundays off.  Shocking and pathetic imo.  I sent BC Health an email to that effect today.

You all should to.

The head BC doctor takes a day off during the worst pandemic in the last 100 years?  Good god...how pathetic...

Bonnie...how about you take some days off in June when this is in control.  :picard:

:huh: Please explain what difference it makes that you don't have a report on one out of the seven days of the week?

Were you going to do something, or go somewhere based on the Sunday report from Dr. Henry? :unsure:

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1