The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

8 minutes ago, samurai said:

One of the main jobs of gov’t is to protect its citizens. Their job is to expect the unexpected. Have you heard of the term ‘global village’. It refers to the idea that the world is getting smaller.  It takes exactly 8 and half hours to fly from Tokyo to Vancouver.  Sometimes less.  Does that seem far or close to you?  

hopefully one of the things that comes out of this is a far more coordinated pandemic system, and an awareness in the west in particular that a crisis in Asia is a crisis here. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

At work currently wearing a mask.  50/50 on having this my last day, going to talk about my options.  The CEO sent another email on why we remain open but this time he didn't mention that any employee can refused work - also says our products are critical to global infrastructures (which may be true if we're currently working on any hospital projects) but it's just business as usual.  There's no way employees here can maintain safe distance at all times and I've already heard two people coughing.  I am thinking stress leave - I do not want to use my vacation pay.   

My workplace is still technically open, although much of our staff are now working from home.

For me, I'm still going in, but my situation is a bit different than most. I have an office to myself, in an area of the College with few people around me. (and much fewer now)

I have software tools that I absolutely need to perform my job and although I could technically bring these tools home, I would lose some of the functionality and everything would take much longer, since my home computer has a fraction of the speed and power that my work computer does.

Frankly, I have more social distance at work than I do at home and in the unlikely event that I have to attend someone's computer, I have Nitrile gloves and painters' masks.

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, samurai said:

One of the main jobs of gov’t is to protect its citizens. Their job is to expect the unexpected. Have you heard of the term ‘global village’. It refers to the idea that the world is getting smaller.  It takes exactly 8 and half hours to fly from Tokyo to Vancouver.  Sometimes less.  Does that seem far or close to you?  

That's a fair point and I don't disagree that some of the criticism is warranted, however the question was, why did Taiwan and Singapore act more quickly and I stand by my assertion that proximity was a major motivator.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Islands....relatively small nations (especially Singapore) but most importantly, IMO, much closer to the epicenter of the outbreak than Canada.

I can't speak for any world leaders, but for myself and most people I know, I didn't expect it to become pandemic and I didn't expect it to happen so quickly. Maybe western governments should have, but it's easy for me to see why Southeast Asian countries would be more concerned about a viral outbreak in China than North American countries.

I had the same initial reaction too....but why? Its only a direct 10 hour flight from Vancouver to Shanghai or Tokyo. You can actually get to Japan faster from Vancouver than you can get to Halifax most days. Nowhere is really that far apart anymore. 

I think many people were operating on the idea that we had more time to react, but I think its safe to say we need to re-write that assumption. 

3 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

That's a fair point and I don't disagree that some of the criticism is warranted, however the question was, why did Taiwan and Singapore act more quickly and I stand by my assertion that proximity was a major motivator.

that proximity created far more urgency to act. We could have done all of this in January but had a false sense of distance from the problem. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I had the same initial reaction too....but why? Its only a direct 10 hour flight from Vancouver to Shanghai or Tokyo. You can actually get to Japan faster from Vancouver than you can get to Halifax most days. Nowhere is really that far apart anymore. 

I think many people were operating on the idea that we had more time to react, but I think its safe to say we need to re-write that assumption. 

Rupert is referring to the difference between China and Taiwan vs China and NA. And I think it is more than just proximity. It is (I expect) greater intermingling between the areas.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Shift-4 said:

Rupert is referring to the difference between China and Taiwan vs China and NA. And I think it is more than just proximity. It is (I expect) greater intermingling between the areas.

sure but in terms of virus transmission it only takes 1 person to hop a plane to Seattle or Vancouver and now its our problem too. I think we need to shrink our ideas of 'distance' when it comes to these outbreaks. 

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Agreed.

TBH, this idea of "Solidarity = Leadership" strikes me as odd......"I'm going to show leadership by waiting to see what everyone else says and does and then follow suit".....to me that's the opposite of leadership....:unsure:

IOC is in consultation with all key stakeholders.  In other words listening to everyone and moving forward. That is leadership equals solidarity.    See book called the Myth of Strong Leadership. 

Imagine if one or two NHL owners said hey I am not going to let my team participate in any remaining NHL season. And did so without first working with the league and owners, and on top of that calling them out as being irresponsible even though the other owners haven’t said there is going to be a restart.  

It is obvious there wasn’t going to be a games even before Canada’s grandstanding.  We never used to be a country that did stuff like that until Trudeau came into power.  We used to work a lot quieter.  

Edited by samurai
  • Wat 2

1 minute ago, samurai said:

IOC is in consultation with all key stakeholders.  In other words listening to everyone and moving forward. That is leadership equal solidarity.    See book called the Myth of Strong Leadership. 

Imagine if one or two NHL owners said hey I am not going to let my team participate in any remaining NHL season. And did so without first working with the league and owners, and on top of that calling them out as being irresponsible even though the other owners haven’t said there is going to be a restart.  

It is obvious there wasn’t going to be a games even before Canada’s grandstanding.  We never used to be a country that did stuff like that until Trudeau came into power.  We used to work a lot quieter. 

Yeah, I don't think I need to read a book to understand what leadership is. I've got 60 years of life experience.

If you insist on calling it grandstanding, there's not much I can do about it but disagree. Carry on....

• Cheers 4

6 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yeah, I don't think I need to read a book to understand what leadership is. I've got 60 years of life experience.

If you insist on calling it grandstanding, there's not much I can do about it but disagree. Carry on....

just in case

CHOSEN BY BILL GATES AS A BOOK OF THE YEAR 2016

Archie Brown challenges the widespread belief that 'strong leaders', dominant individual wielders of power, are the most successful and admirable.

Within authoritarian regimes, a collective leadership is a lesser evil compared with a personal dictatorship. Within democracies, although ‘strong leaders’ are seldom as strong or independent as they purport to be, the idea that just one person is entitled to take the big decisions is harmful and should be resisted.

Examining Franklin D. Roosevelt and Mikhail Gorbachev, Deng Xiaoping and Nelson Mandela, Margaret Thatcher and Tony Blair amongst many others, this landmark study pinpoints different types and qualities of leadership. Overturning the popular notion of the strong leader, it makes us rethink preconceptions about what it means to lead.

24 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Actually, the reason was both were hit quite badly by SARS in 2001 and put in measures to ensure it didn't happen again.  Closer proximity so need to act quicker makes sense, but can act slower because we are further away doesn't seem very smart considering how fast the experts have said viruses can spread. 

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

I, too, have to work and although I've implemented all the "safe" measures I can as the person in charge of the office (over a week ago), my boss isn't "remembering" protocol and continues to come too close.  "Trying" isn't good enough and I'm super stressed when I'm at work.  We also (the 3 of us) share one very tiny bathroom which is a big no for me at the best of times, let alone the worst.

We don't have supplies on hand and are running low of wipes (last few) and Lysol (almost empty).  We have 2 rolls of TP left.  My boss bought two boxes of N95 masks for himself weeks ago and has no family here (at all) but has not offered one to us, as his employees (not that they do much, but would be a nice gesture to think of "sharing").  I'm expected to "shop" for the office but am now refusing to do so...I have a father and son vulnerable in all of this.  So...no.  Last week was my last trip to the store...he needed binders of all things.  This crap can wait.

Good luck TM...for all of us.  It's such a weird thing to have to navigate but it's important that we get it right for everyone's sake.  My boss was still resistant to completely locking down the office to visitors until I said "it's them or me" but, hopefully, our Government will make this a little easier on us by doing so.  SOON! I have to keep coming up with "ideas" to keep us safe...like when he needs courier service (and I go outside to sign for stuff using my pen, then have to wash my poor, battered, sand paper hands!).  

My boss is very stubborn and we butt heads a lot...but there is NO compromise for me in this and I think he's finally getting that.  I've had to say "I'll walk" a few times in relation to the slow drag to get him to accept the seriousness of this.  I mean it, too.  A job isn't worth jeopardizing my family.

Good luck, TM....do what you have to and don't settle for something that makes you uneasy in it all.  That little voice inside is worth listening to.

For me the critical thing I would be doing is changing the air every few hours or even ever hour by opening windows.  This is highly recommended but not many people mentioning it.   Small rooms with no fresh air coming in with numerous people in them is a big no no.  This environment was typical for most of the 13 clusters they found in this country.   I am guessing you are letting air in. 

Just now, samurai said:

For me the critical thing I would be doing is changing the air every few hours or even ever hour by opening windows.  This is highly recommended but not many people mentioning it.   Small rooms with no fresh air coming in with numerous people in them is a big no no.  This environment was typical for most of the 13 clusters they found in this country.   I am guessing you are letting air in. 

Every office or workplace I’d ever worked in, did not have windows that opened.   

1 minute ago, flat land fish said:

Any thought about converting Canada’s marijuana growing facilities to vegetable production to reduce need for importing produce from out of country or even province?

If I had a backyard I would be, if I hadn’t already, converting it to a vegetable garden.