The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

11 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I don't agree with this - leadership is about...leading.  Solidarity shouldn't come with potential risk and Canada is thinking about it's citizens/athletes.  They're being applauded for taking charge.  This isn't a popularity contest, it's a worldwide crisis.

exactly

you think nyc folk

want govenor cuomo to show solidarity to trumpie ?

interesting interactive graph here: https://www.visualcapitalist.com/infection-trajectory-flattening-the-covid19-curve/

right now lt looks like Canada is tracking on a curve that has the number of cases doubling every 3 days, and if we're being hopeful maybe trending to longer than that. Hopefully we'll start to see some results in the next week with isolation efforts getting us closer to a flat curve. 

Some other countries are starting to bend the line as well. 

US seems to be closer to a doubling every 2 day track tho. Yikes. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

5 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Dads and grandparents were asked to go to war.

We're being asked to go home and sit on the sofa.

Evidently that's too difficult. The fascists of Europe came about at the wrong time :lol:

I've been able to manage by driving this beauty, digitally of course. 

2F5A4B2D-ADC6-4E5D-934A-E583318E37B9.jpeg

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

wow

demanding citizens

what are you doing about this crisis?

how about she save her resources for when things get really bad

you bored and missing your daily stat update ?

what impact on your life will missing 1 day of stats really make currently ?

it is so easy for people to find ways to criticize

which are so damn superficial

The same people will have to look in the mirror and finally question themselves fundamentally.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

US seems to be closer to a doubling every 2 day track tho. Yikes. 

Wait until after it's declared down south you don't have to self-isolate anymore!  "Mission accomplished"!

We might need to start up the draft again to guard our borders.:P

• Vintage 1

11 hours ago, High and Inside said:

Hey bud read the numbers in your own link. I didn’t say anything about the seriousness of the cases. I straight up said when you equal out the population and compare the two countries it’s not 10 or 20 times. Yes when it’s all said and done the USA will be in a world of hurt but as things currently stand they have only have 2-3 times the cases when you equal out the population. The state of California alone has more people then Canada so obviously the USA will have more. When you look at serious cases or deaths I have no idea as this virus is all

over the map. Why some countries have a lot of deaths and other don’t is beyond my knowledge. Maybe it’s age or health related who really knows. 

this is silly

you did not understand my initial post

and now you wish to criticize my understanding of your post

go re-read my post

another poster has already clarified this for you

read his post as well

55 minutes ago, samurai said:

He's feeling guilty. 

Thanks for the pop psychologizm. 

I'm no fan of Trudeau - in fact I have nothing invested in his ability to lead - and don't care for his mopey, sombre disposition through this - I'd prefer a more assertive 'leader' with a more positive, proactive disposition - whether or not it's a mere "game face" (I realize his partner is infected - possibly all the more reason to step up - but I'm not sure that's his 'mettle'.)   Instead I see a Vx.0 generation birthright and small el liberal who wears 'cute' socks - but almost everyone 'gets' how petty and irrelevent ideology should be considered in the present. 

Reality is that many people will look for ways to extract political capital and financial gain from this - but neither of those are worth a fn thing if you lose your life or your loved ones in the process - and focused your attention on ephemeral bullshizz.

Bottom line - I'm not going to pretend to know what Trudeau 'feels'.  Who cares?

And people like yourself that can't resist ideologizing in the present probably shouldn't be judging what anyone else 'feels'.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Wait until after it's declared down south you don't have to self-isolate anymore!  "Mission accomplished"!

We might need to start up the draft again to guard our borders.:P

yeah I could see the orange clown declaring that everyone goes back to work and not to worry. But I guess there's always Obama to blame. Who knows, the guys brain is a wet fart in the wind, you never know which way its headed and no matter what its not good. 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Bottom line - I'm not going to pretend to know what Trudeau 'feels'.  Who cares?

And people like yourself that can't resist ideologizing in the present probably shouldn't be judging what anyone else 'feels'.

we should know in a week if we're starting to flatten the curve, that the line that matters. There will be plenty of time to blame, etc. when its over, for whatever that will be worth. I'm more interested in what lessons we've learned and if we actually implement new systems, otherwise all of this was just a waste. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

we should know in a week if we're starting to flatten the curve, that the line that matters. There will be plenty of time to blame, etc. when its over, for whatever that will be worth. I'm more interested in what lessons we've learned and if we actually implement new systems, otherwise all of this was just a waste. 

I have a feeling that a not-insignificant portion of the population will see flattening the curve as a "win" and get a little lax with their hygiene and distancing practices.

so just a few minutes ago i was viewing a video news conference of governor cuomo

he is telling new yorkers to brace for 9 months of virus restriction issues

this is the first lengthier time frame i have heard

not sure if he has access to special information

or this applies more to nyc due to its unique circumstances and heavy virus outbreak

china is already coming out of the virus issue

though in the past day or 2 are reporting new outbreaks

(which they say are imported?)

but even with the new outbreaks in china (these numbers are very low)

it does seem china has greatly resolved the problem in their country

does anyone know anymore about this ?

1 minute ago, Sean Monahan said:

I have a feeling that a not-insignificant portion of the population will see flattening the curve as a "win" and get a little lax with their hygiene and distancing practices.

that could very well be the case. But at least there's nowhere for them to go really with most things being shut down or practicing distancing by restricting the number of customers, etc.

But you still see it. I'm in a building with only one elevator. Last night some folks down the hall had a small party... not much I can do about it. At this point I fully expect to get it, so I'm making sure that I don't transfer it to someone else. I do have to go out to get med's and groceries for my elderly in-laws but we're actually taking the time to disinfect the packaging we give to them. 

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, redhdlois said:

She went over to Victoria today, where she will be reporting from tomorrow.

I do think though, that if things start to get out of hand here in BC, the people that were praising her for her calmness are going to turn on her for not being more aggressive....

i appreciate your posting

but i think this post is a good example of what the real problem is regarding this virus

we want to point to our leadership to do more

when in fact we all have to do more

they have given us information and recommendations that will work

we have to implement this

where we see others not doing so

we need to remind them

there is not a large enough enforcement force available that can do this

and even if they could

they are going to show up 5 or 10 minutes later when the incident is historical

we have been told what to do

there is not much else our leadership can do

it is up to us now

stop expecting them to do more

when we have all done what is recommended

that will be the time to review much more critically the minor shortfall in our leadership

in the meantime that energy is focused in the wrong direction

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

that could very well be the case. But at least there's nowhere for them to go really with most things being shut down or practicing distancing by restricting the number of customers, etc.

But you still see it. I'm in a building with only one elevator. Last night some folks down the hall had a small party... not much I can do about it. At this point I fully expect to get it, so I'm making sure that I don't transfer it to someone else. I do have to go out to get med's and groceries for my elderly in-laws but we're actually taking the time to disinfect the packaging we give to them. 

I'd be fully in favour of fines for people not observing good health practices at this point. At best, they're prolonging this whole pandemic and at worst they'll cause deaths.