The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

In case you didn't already know,

We are in good hands with Dr. Bonnie Henry,

She has quite the resume!!

She could be the Quinn Hughes of Provincial Health Officers ! :goat:

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/about-bc-s-health-care-system/office-of-the-provincial-health-officer/biographies

Edited by Mackcanuck

6 hours ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Guilty about what?  Be specific. 

You try and figure it out.  Or just wait for when an eventual inquiry releases its report.  Or when the opposition gets the chance to debate in the House.  

• Wat 1

5 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

In case you didn't already know,

We are in good hands with Dr. Bonnie Henry,

She has quite the resume!!

She could be the Quinn Hughes of Provincial Health Officers ! :goat:

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/about-bc-s-health-care-system/office-of-the-provincial-health-officer/biographies

So....

Who should be paid more?

:o

9 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Not surprised. 

Man dies after ingesting chloroquine in an attempt to prevent coronavirus

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/man-dies-after-ingesting-chloroquine-attempt-prevent-coronavirus-n1167166

this happened in at least one case in China too when the info came out there. It might be a good drug but you have to be very careful with it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Its second hand info, but a trusted colleague of mine was speaking to a trauma surgeon from VGH this morning, so far he says that the hospital system hasn't been overwhelmed yet for ventilators. So again, fingers crossed but its good to hear something positive. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

there is nothing thoughtful happening right now.  Shutting down the economy to drag millions into poverty around the world will easily kill more people.  Its not even close.

1 hour ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

You got me their margin of error is only 15M people.  The know exactly what is going to happen 100%.  When your margin of error is 15M, you don't have a clue

40 minutes ago, Fan since 82 said:

The 22 year old who was playing beer pong may go on to contribute something great to the world. Not trying to say that the 60 can't but you can't write off the young foolish partyer just because they're being young and foolish.

Or, the 22 yr old may go on welfare for the rest of his life and bleed the system more?

The 60 yr old that supported the system,paid his taxes has earned his health care

Either way tough decision for medical to play god with who lives

Even if everyone stayed inside

We have homeless roaming the streets,sharing cigarettes,joints etc

You cant lock all them in a house

I don't see how it will end soon

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, HI5 said:

I’ve made a couple trips to the grocery store very close to my house. Try to maintain a safe distance and peak hours. 

Does anyone have any tips on keeping fruit, vegetables and steaks as fresh as possible without freezing? 

I don't have any ideas how to keep things fresher. But I work in remote camps and have tried all sorts of fruits and veggies out to see which lasts longest in the fridge...here's my long lasting winners (I work 2 weeks at a time in camp so all these usually last me 2 weeks).

-Apples

-Oranges

-Blue berries

-Black berries

-plums

-Spinach

-cabbage

-carrots

-yams

-potatoes

-onions

-peppers

-squash

....Pretty good fresh produce list for 2 weeks. Gives me lots of what my body needs. I also will buy other stuff, but just know that it will likely last one week instead of 2. Also I try and buy pre-bagged produce as much as possible...I got turned off by people getting handsy with the produce a long time ago...bagged fruit and veggies and salads are a great way of reducing contact in my opinion. And also gives me peace of mind I don't have to get crazy on washing my produce. If it's bagged it's usually handled in a safer way.

Cheers

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

I feel for Deb and TreMac among some others on here maybe too that work at a business that is being so "Blind" in regards to everything going on. 

Now I get, businesses want to stay open or exec's need to try make certain #s to get bonuses etc but this is a very RARE instance in the world where action needs to be taken, it may be overboard to some but the harder and sooner they crack down on EVERYTHING the sooner we can try and get past this Virus imo.

Now this is not a question I expect Deb or Tre among others to answer but I will ask anyway....With how your work has handles this situation, does it make you want to look for a new job?

Also, I think there are a select few posters on here who should be banned from posting in this thread, they just have too much negativity. Heck start a new thread saying the world is overreacting to this virus and go in that thread and whine and B**ch about how most of the public is treating this.

You nailed it in the second paragraph...exactly what I told my boss.  This IS a very rare instance...who would have ever imagined we'd face this?  And those resistant to any disruptions seem to ignore that...that it isn't forever (except for those who don't make it).  That we can all work together now and really make a difference or ignore it and prolong the agony.  They act like a few weeks of being responsible in this is impossible.

I don't respect my boss after this...there were already signs but I love to work, love the job and also the stability it offered.  But I'm definitely rethinking it all...someone with such ego that he feels we can just slide through this?  He's superman?  Our office is above all that?  

It's a thankless job and this will give me time to reflect.  I had my first ever sick day a few weeks ago (was violently ill with food poisoning).  I am the first one there every morning - unlock the office and get things rolling before my 9:00 start time.  I have been late once (only)....my first day, as I sped around a truck spewing rusty liquid out the back and a cop pulled me over and was an ass.  I told him it was my first day and I didn't want to be late and he said "oh, you're going to be" then took 20 minutes to write up my ticket.

I ran the office for my boss from Dec. 10-Jan. 12 while he was in Italy on vacation.  Dealt with some angry clients who had deadlines that weren't being met.

I want to feel pride in what I'm doing...the past few days, I was starting to feel a sense of disgust.  I stated a few weeks ago that if we didn't lock people out I'd be gone...gave fair warning.  He knows I have an ailing Dad in bad shape...I told him I couldn't risk it.  Son too - has had pneumonia twice recently (is asthmatic).

He had one more, shoulder to shoulder crowded board room meeting last week and I read the riot act.   A guy came out and asked me for water then wanted to hand me his dirty glass?  I told my boss we're not running a restaurant..I'm not a waitress.  The guy had been in the meeting for all of 10 minutes.

My boss was also in the process of conducting interviews over the past two weeks...with people from North Van (near the care home that's been losing residents) and West Vancouver.  I made them set up What's App conferences instead.  He would have just invited them all in.  So it's been a constant struggle to get him to comply.  I shouldn't really have to set these boundaries...he should be doing them.  And I told him that today.  His response?  "So fine, I'm a bad boss"!!  How irresponsible and childish.  That's such a cop out.  I told him "Yes, you are being a bad boss".

I sensed from the get go that my boss was trying to inch his way to the finish line in this rather than be proactive and protective of his workers in a take charge way.  From the start, I've implemented all the measures.  Went and got Lysol, wipes and have been sterilizing things each morning before the others arrive.  But I expected he'd up his game and he hasn't.  He's actually sliding backwards.

I probably will look for something else in a nearly impossible situation when so many will also be doing the same.  We'll see how things go when I return.  If I return.

This was mostly a rant but also an idea of what some are facing out there.  It's a real dilemma...I see my kids' employers doing it right so this is quite a contrast for me.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

12 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Or, the 22 yr old may go on welfare for the rest of his life and bleed the system more?

The 60 yr old that supported the system,paid his taxes has earned his health care

Either way tough decision for medical to play god with who lives

Even if everyone stayed inside

We have homeless roaming the streets,sharing cigarettes,joints etc

You cant lock all them in a house

I don't see how it will end soon

practice social distancing from homeless people

and they will not pose a risk to you

not all homeless people are as careless as you suggest though

• Like 1

Ontario and Quebec order non-essential businesses to close

The Ontario and Quebec governments have announced the near-complete shutdown of their provinces’ economies in a bid to halt the spread of the novel coronavirus.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford announced plans on Monday for non-essential businesses to close across the province, but said food, medicine and “essential products” would remain available.

Urging all Ontarians to stay home, he said the order, issued under the province’s state of emergency powers, would come into effect Tuesday at 11:59 p.m. and last for 14 days, but could be extended if necessary.

“This is not the time for half measures,” Mr. Ford said Monday. “This decision was not made lightly. And the gravity of this order does not escape me.”

Ontario Premier Doug Ford is ordering the closure of all non-essential businesses in the province to help deal with the spread of COVID-19. Ford says the order will be effective Tuesday at 11:59 p.m. and will be in place for at least 14 days. He says he will release the list of businesses Tuesday that will be allowed to stay open, but food will remain on the grocery store shelves and people will still have access to medication. The Canadian Press

He said the province will release a list on Tuesday of businesses permitted to stay open. The LCBO and Beer Store were expected to be on that list, although officials could not confirm that as of Monday afternoon.

Quebec Premier François Legault made a similar announcement on Monday, mandating that all non-essential businesses in Quebec were to close Tuesday night until April 13.

Only grocery stores, pharmacies, banks, media and a few other services will be allowed to stay open, Mr. Legault said in Quebec City. Companies that can operate with employees working remotely can also continue, he said.

“Quebec will hit pause for three weeks,” Mr. Legault said. “The faster we can limit contact between people, the faster we can limit the contagion and get back to normal life. I’m asking all Quebeckers to co-operate.”

The directive is applicable to companies in construction and to aluminum smelters as well as other major employers, the Premier said.

There could be exceptions. "We don’t want to create catastrophes, obviously,” the Premier said. “But it includes all goods that are manufactured that are not essential.”

The province pledged to release a list of what it considers essential services.

Ontario last week declared a state of emergency – closing bars and forcing restaurants to offer only takeout, while banning gatherings of 50 people or more – as it attempts to slow the spread of the potentially deadly virus COVID-19, which threatens to overwhelm the province’s health system.

“We will not lose this battle,” Mr. Ford said Monday. “We will get ahead of it.”

The Ontario Premier suggested that some construction sites would remain open, but urged workers to leave sites if their employers have not brought in social-distancing measures or are forcing them to make do with unsanitary washrooms.

He said he believes the majority of businesses and the public will comply, but if anyone breaks the order, there will be consequences. Solicitor-General Sylvia Jones said police will be part of the enforcement measures, if necessary.

Mr. Ford also said he doesn’t believe children in the province will be returning to school on April 6, when a two-week closing the province ordered for after the week-long March Break was scheduled to end. He said his Education Minister would provide further details in the coming days.

“The reality is April the 6th is not realistic right now,” he said. “We are in a state of emergency.”

Meanwhile, Toronto Mayor John Tory also declared a state of emergency on Monday, after the first death over the weekend of a Toronto resident related to COVID-19.

In a briefing live-cast from his condo, where he is in isolation after a recent trip to London, Mr. Tory said there was “no list of things” he was planning to do with his new powers, but that he needs flexibility to deal with a changing situation.

“There are things that come up every morning that you didn’t know were going to be happening that morning, and sometimes the machinery of government is just going to function better in responding to those needs … if we have this declaration in place,” he said.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-ontario-quebec-order-non-essential-businesses-to-close/

BC won't be far behind.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mackcanuck said:

Nearly 2,000 Washingtonians have tested positive for the coronavirus and 95 have died as of Sunday.

https://komonews.com/news/coronavirus/gov-inslee-to-make-statewide-address-in-live-broadcast-monday-evening

34 minutes ago, samurai said:

Population over 7.5 million. 

Oh that's right, this pandemic will cap out at 2000 cases and 95 deaths in WA state.  It won't go up much further folks.  It's all under control.