The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

7 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

What's your deal, anyways? Why such the contrarian attitude towards the severity of this worldwide health emergency? 

That is a simple fact.  The virus has been circulating for a while and people were not getting tested and most still are not.   The numbers are obviously higher that what is even documented. More testing is taking place which of course means more positive cases.  That is basic common sense and medical experts have been saying the same thing.   You were on here yesterday suggesting people cannot build immunity to this - that idea is just way out there. 

Just now, HKSR said:

Yeah ok. 

"Sweeping new federal recommendations announced on Monday for Americans to sharply limit their activities appeared to draw on a dire scientific report warning that, without action by the government and individuals to slow the spread of coronavirus and suppress new cases, 2.2 million people in the United States could die."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/16/us/coronavirus-fatality-rate-white-house.html

this is not a serious response

just wanted to say

it puts me in mind of a phrase repeatedly often in the past years

"the failing new york times"

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

Immunity to reinfection. Don't mince words. 

Honestly, your contrarian attitude towards this is what's way out there, and it's getting quite annoying. There's really no reason for it. Every time someone posts any kind of stats you have a devil's advocate response to it. I can see why you were called a COVID-19 apologist. You're walking a fine line of trollism at this point. 

He completely ignores my post talking about the projection of 2.2M DEATHS in the USA.

• Cheers 3

Johanna and Henrik Sedin (left) with Daniel and Marinette Sedin and Stan Watchorn, the principal of Kent Elementary. The Sedin families will match donations up to $35,000 to the Adopt-A-School Fund. [PNG Merlin Archive]

Among the first responders to The Vancouver Sun’s plea for money for impoverished children facing hunger now that school meals are no longer available, were Henrik and Daniel Sedin and their wives Johanna and Marinette.

The 39-year-old brothers and their wives have pledged $35,000 in matching funds to The Vancouver Sun’s Adopt A School COVID-19 appeal.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/adopt-a-school-henrik-and-daniel-sedin-once-again-come-through-when-it-counts/

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, HKSR said:

He completely ignores my post talking about the projection of 2.2M DEATHS in the USA.

Who lives, who dies: worst case scenario (USA Today article) 03/22/2020

"The CDC's worst-case-scenario envisions up to 210 million Americans infected by December. An estimated 21 million people would need hospital care and 200,000 to 1.7 million could die by the end of the year."

Just one example. I'm curious to read about this 35,000 figure.

Edited by Lionized27
Grammar
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, samurai said:

That is a simple fact.  The virus has been circulating for a while and people were not getting tested and most still are not.   The numbers are obviously higher that what is even documented. More testing is taking place which of course means more positive cases.  That is basic common sense and medical experts have been saying the same thing.   You were on here yesterday suggesting people cannot build immunity to this - that idea is just way out there. 

And, for the record, overcoming the virus does not necessarily mean a person is building immunity to it like we can for other viruses and then not be re-infected again. It is unknown at this point if we can do that. There have been reports of people getting better and then getting sick again. For all we know, this could be a virus like cold soars (herpes), where a person can have it go away but it stays with a person forever and continues to show itself over time.

Just another reason the unknowns are serious, but you already knew this, I'm sure - judging by your response to my immunity comment. 

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

And, for the record, overcoming the virus does not necessarily mean a person is building immunity to it like we can for other viruses and then not be re-infected again. It is unknown at this point if we can do that. There have been reports of people getting better and then getting sick again. For all we know, this could be a virus like cold soars (herpes), where a person can have it go away but it stays with a person forever and continues to show itself over time.

Just another reason the unknowns are serious, but you already knew this, I'm sure - judging by your response to my immunity comment. 

you didn't read the the article I sent you.  it was for exactly the argument you made above.

5 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Johanna and Henrik Sedin (left) with Daniel and Marinette Sedin and Stan Watchorn, the principal of Kent Elementary. The Sedin families will match donations up to $35,000 to the Adopt-A-School Fund. [PNG Merlin Archive]

Among the first responders to The Vancouver Sun’s plea for money for impoverished children facing hunger now that school meals are no longer available, were Henrik and Daniel Sedin and their wives Johanna and Marinette.

The 39-year-old brothers and their wives have pledged $35,000 in matching funds to The Vancouver Sun’s Adopt A School COVID-19 appeal.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/adopt-a-school-henrik-and-daniel-sedin-once-again-come-through-when-it-counts/

The NHL didn't deserve them.  Two soon to be HHOFers.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

6 minutes ago, Lionized27 said:

Who lives, who dies: worst case scenario (USA Today article) 03/22/2020

"The CDC's worst-case-scenario envisions up to 210 million Americans infected by December. An estimated 21 million people would need hospital care and 200,000 to 1.7 million could die by the end of the year."

Just one example. I'm curious to read about this 35,000 figure.

Me too lol

21 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i do not think you really appreciate the difficulty the virus is posing to ny state

your stats might be conservative

if applied to that state alone

i doubt governor cuomo agrees with your assessment of the usa situation

and for the purposes of this thread

if you wish to use experts to back up your position

i suggest you provide a link to what you have read

otherwise i doubt what you say when you vaguely suggest you are supported by any authority

This

https://thehill.com/opinion/healthcare/488494-estimating-coronaviruss-us-toll

And I posted this earlier

People are also taking action now which help reduce deaths.   On this site if you give a doomsday scenario you get praised.   

3 minutes ago, samurai said:

you didn't read the the article I sent you.  it was for exactly the argument you made above.

I'm not a subscriber, so no I didn't. But here's the thing, regardless of what you read in that article, we don't know if the herd mentality will even work with this virus. It's possible we begin to build immunity to reinfection and it helps with preventing a future outbreak around the world, but we do not yet know if this is possible.

29 minutes ago, samurai said:

Please...don't post your opinion as "fact".  Post "facts" as facts....with links and sources.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

18 hours ago, King Heffy said:

This is going to be the long haul.  It's necessary to let her take a day off occasionally.

I read they weren’t “ taking the day off “ they were working but not doing a ‘ televised’ update on Sunday. hopefully that is the case 

2 minutes ago, redhdlois said:

Saw this, read the proposed amendments...it's literally what everyone has been asking the government to do but the title is pure clickbait.

But that means nothing because everyone is freaking out and claiming "Castro jr wants a dictatorship" but are doing said claim while joking with their buddies in a Safeway checkout line

• Cheers 3