Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

2 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

really?

wednesday morning ?

or afternoon ?

i have a serious day scheduled on wednesday

Don't know, that's all he told me.  (Our IT guy at work...his friend is the one who provided the information). 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Are any of you guys/girls stuck without something?  I found pretty much everything I needed without having to go to Costco or any of those bigger shops where all the crazies are.  

I'm also choosing not to overstock anything (except overall I do have 4 weeks worth of food)...  medicine would be the only thing that I'd say to go and get enough of as lots of it is provided by China.  

This comment, like the virus, has been in incubation for the last two weeks. 

Not stuck, but definitely have had to meal plan on the fly as a particular item of meat or produce has run out when my wife or I have been at the store.  Haven't seen TP in a store in a few weeks, but fortunately we're fine there...for now.

Canada to introduce new powers to spend money and raise taxes without having to get the approval of Parliament

Tue 24 Mar 2020 02:42:46 GMT

Canadian media Global News with the report:

• Global News has seen a copy of the legislation set to be tabled Tuesday when a small number of MPs from all parties return to Ottawa to pass a multibillion-dollar coronavirus support package.
  • The legislation grants Finance Minister Bill Morneau extraordinary new powers to spend, borrow and tax without having to get the approval of opposition MPs until December 2021.
The legislation has implications for the ruling party beyond just what is intended. Link here for more.

6 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

So what is currently open that is not essential?

I guess it depends on your definition of essential but all I see is the liquor store, grocery, and pharmacy???

In the short-term, what else does one really need?

edit:  transit?

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

I REALLY hope that the "Meals on Wheels" program is somehow still able to continue during this period.  There's plenty of elderly and infirmed individuals who REALLY need the use of this service.  It not only provides them a hot meal (weekdays anyways) but a friendly visitor that kind of informely checks on them.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Like....wtf?  

The only thing stopping us from pausing the economy during this crisis and giving people what they need is us.  Yeah, it may mean giving stuff away for free or not getting paid for work, but we have what we need to survive this.  

Economies can rebound.  Dead people can't. 

Edited by Wilbur
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

5 hours ago, Down by the River said:

I know plenty of 60yr olds that can still do something great.I'd take them over the people that have no excuse for doing what they're doing other than thinking that they are more important than everyone else. Doctors are more important. Nurses are more important. Your needs to drink out of a cup that your friend basically just spit in don't rank that high on Maslow's hierarchy of needs. There are millions of responsible young people out there. The people playing beer pong basically just wanted to flaunt what they were doing in the faces of others... much like that little idiot licking her ice cream in White Rock.

My original post wasn't meant to pit one age against the other... only to acknowledge that age isn't the only thing to consider when having to save a life. 

Part of the problem is that we let our 20-30 year old act like idiots all the time with little guidance except get your $&!# together after you've effed up. Now in times like this we realize how irresponsible and dumb it is.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Times like this it makes you wish you were Bear Grylls or one of the guys on Mountain Men. You could secure and lock up your home then trek into the wilderness and live off the land for however long is necessary. 

My Dad could've before age and cancer took over...has hunted, fished, trapped (in the past) & grown his own food for forever.

The case for lockdown will be dependent on the number of cases and deaths.   If they increase it is inevitable that a lockdown for non-essential businesses will happen for BC.

The question is when.  This week seems probable before things get out of hand.

9 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

My Dad could've before age and cancer took over...has hunted, fished, trapped (in the past) & grown his own food for forever.

Nice....I have always wanted to try that but NOT under these conditions.

Where did he do that?