The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

I don't have a problem with her taking a day off. She's in charge of making huge decisions and I personally do not want her run down and stressed to the max while making those decisions.

All the Dr's, nurses, other healthcare professionals need a day off from all the stress or they will go mad. We need them to be healthy so we can stay healthy.

Let her spend a day with her husband, kids, pets etc. We'll all be better for it. Plus I doubt Bonnie's phone ever stops ringing on her "day off".

Being an emergency services worker, that type of leadership is not good.

All her nurses and doctors have to work 24/7. They see her take a day off and that sends a bad message. I totally disagree and think it is pathetic.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Wat 5

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The last thing you’d want is a nurse whose worked 10 days straight trying to intubate a patient. 

The mental acuity of medical staff is essential to finding our way out of this. 

Nobody WANTS that. But that is what is and will occur.

So for the nurses to see their BOSS take the day off, shows Henry as a brutal example and boss. 

I never said I want our Nurses and Doctors working every single day. But that will happen. Their BOSS needs to set the example. If you do not understand this, then we will agree to disagree. I am in emergency services in a supervisory role, and think it is pathetic. My last post on the matter.

1 hour ago, DonLever said:

The dentist who died was only 60, good health, and no underlying healthy issues.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/metro-vancouver-dentist-dies-coronavirus?auto=true

Unless you call someone "60" elderly, it is not only people in nursing homes that die.

So be cautious.   It could happen to anyone.

Speaking of which, at the YVR, there are announcements made to promote social distancing. It's just not getting through to people. For example picture a lineup outside Tim Hortons on domestic level 3you have a few people standing by the marked lines indicating 6 feet. But a group of elderly people bunched close together. Then a group of mixed age group passengers  bunched close together. I think the word oblivious comes to mind.

Edited by AlwaysACanuckFan
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, gurn said:

The author of that story is

Douglas Carr is a financial markets and macroeconomics researcher. He has been a think tank fellow, professor, executive and investment banker.

Not a doctor, or anything to do with health care.

Amazing!  The article itself is well-written which you would expect because of the author's academic background.  Why would someone in finance want to accurately measure/quantify the projection of the disease? Of what value could that be?  It is stated in the first sentence of the paper:   

Estimating the ultimate toll of the novel coronavirus is useful for health care planning, understanding the virus’s economic impact, and for our personal sense of wellbeing. 

What part of that paper do you think is unacademic or of questionable quality?   Or untrue?   You are simply saying that because he is not a medical doctor that he is incapable of handling the math for this.  A large part of this article focuses on how you do the math.   From experience people in finance are pretty good at working with numbers. 

Edited by samurai
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DonLever said:

The dentist who died was only 60, good health, and no underlying healthy issues.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/metro-vancouver-dentist-dies-coronavirus?auto=true

Unless you call someone "60" elderly, it is not only people in nursing homes that die.

So be cautious.   It could happen to anyone.

The article says he was in his 60's.  

Doctors and nurses don't have to work if they show (even just cold-like) symptoms. The positive to this is that it'll prevent the spread but the downside is that there will eventually be a shortage of doctors and nurses. I'm not sure if this is what will end up happening, but when it gets to this point (which it will), 4th year nursing students, medical students, etc. should be called upon to provide aid - because, what other options will there be? We're at war right now and we need troops.

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

I'm quite shocked how large the list is. So pretty much retail libraries and boobie bars are closed.

Unfortunately, that's about it.  We've been under the same orders in Illinois since Friday and it's hard to find the stores and companies that actually have closed.  It seems like every place you can think is open and somehow deemed essential in some six degrees of separation sort of way.  

Maybe it will be different in BC, but in Illinois this shelter in place/lockdown order is preventing nothing.   Its pretty much business as usual. 

Disappointing to say the least. 

31 minutes ago, skolozsy2 said:

Unfortunately, that's about it.  We've been under the same orders in Illinois since Friday and it's hard to find the stores and companies that actually have closed.  It seems like every place you can think is open and somehow deemed essential in some six degrees of separation sort of way.  

Maybe it will be different in BC, but in Illinois this shelter in place/lockdown order is preventing nothing.   Its pretty much business as usual. 

Disappointing to say the least. 

I'm in ontario. So we'll see tomorrow. Im already hearing machine shops closing the doors which is a large chunk of the workforce in my town.

5 hours ago, Lionized27 said:

Pretty much.

I'm going to guess the PM can say what stays and goes or he may simply leave it up to each provinces discretion. For the sake of order I would imagine it would be the former.

I suppose we'll find out soon enough.

Very happy to see liquor stores on the list! We're going to need it.

Mee too. I work in the alcoholic beverage industry.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Ireland over 1000 cases now, people still going sightseeing like its a friggen vacation. 

I just dont care anymore. People were warned that this could get bad. They were advised that going out will make it a lot worse. I really thought that we would be locked down before uk, but that was wrong. I say let em get sick. 

The only problem with that is, much like drunk drivers...they generally survive the accident, not the innocents. 

You cant fix stupid, and apparently we cant breed them out because the concept of contraception confuses them. 

Just start taking warning labels off things. Yes you can drink bleach if you want. Of course you can use the hair dryer in the bath. Obviously sticking your hand under a running lawn mower is a good idea. 

Im sick of the human race in general. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

Nice....I have always wanted to try that but NOT under these conditions.

Where did he do that?

Things I’ve learned about that: you gotta be good with a chainsaw and an axe, make sure you can shoot well... don’t forget matches lol.

4 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Doctors and nurses don't have to work if they show (even just cold-like) symptoms. The positive to this is that it'll prevent the spread but the downside is that there will eventually be a shortage of doctors and nurses. I'm not sure if this is what will end up happening, but when it gets to this point (which it will), 4th year nursing students, medical students, etc. should be called upon to provide aid - because, what other options will there be? We're at war right now and we need troops.

They have called any retired health professionals out of retirement.  Apparently a lot have offered their services.

Not sure if you had heard this.  

• Like 1