The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

9 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

What a dangerous, dangerous man Donald Trump is. His businesses are losing money and all he can think about is ending social distancing by Easter when, according to him, things will be back to normal. Dollars before lives. Imagine the mind that thinks that way, then realize he has demonstrated over and over again that he can do whatever he wants and nobody can stand up to him and get away with it. His pronouncements on "cures" have already cost lives when the disciples have ingested drugs they shouldn't have ingested. But he doesn't care, because what happened yesterday never actually happened. Only today is important and tomorrow, well, we'll worry about tomorrow tomorrow. That is the key to understanding Trump: Whatever happened before today doesn't count because it never really happened and it's fake news to bring it up. So when he says he has always believed it was a pandemic, even before it was called a pandemic, he's not lying, because "always believed" means since he woke up this morning. Nothing before that ever happened.

I honestly expect that things'll probably just be really ramping up by then....

• Cheers 1

21 hours ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

The toilet paper runs and food hoarding is not planning.  Its hysteria. 

Licking religious shrines is an equally bad idea.  I recommend you stop. 

See what I did there?

You appear incapable of a level-headed conversation, ironically, for someone purporting to come in here and quell the 'hysteria'. 

You're panicking about what you perceive to be an alternative crisis.

Grow up.  You're  being obtuse - and over-reacting.   Your response to what I posted - for example - had literally nothing to do with what I was talking about. 

Waste to time wadr.

• Like 1

It is shocking how stupid trump actually is. He makes speeches that are at the level of a 6 year old. Sentences are not complete. The words themselves are a jumbled mess.

Yet many many Americans want to re elect this buffoon. It really is shocking.

This is a good one. 

Feb 24th the orange buffoon says "The coronavirus is very much under control in the USA …

https://www.salon.com/2020/03/14/we-need-to-quarantine-donald-trump-hes-confused-ignorant-and-afraid/

Some other choice moronic tweets in their from the orange twit.

The orange buffoon referring to covid19 as the chinese virus. What a fool.

https://themilsource.com/2020/03/24/chinese-virus-war-of-words-continues/

What an embarrassment of a human being. Good job....usa....elect him again...:picard:

Maybe the orange turd will get a bad case of covid19...

• Haha 1

Dreaded going to the store this morning. We were out of a few staples...

there was a person picking through every tomato, picking it up feeling it, examining it..over and over, she went through the  whole pile.

there’s lots of boneheads in our community. I think some of these stores need to implement stricter rules .. Don’t know how you stop people from touching and feeling every tomato or apple in the store though ..

There's an interesting report out of China, that there has been a drop of 21 million Cell phone accounts over the past three months. The suggestion is, that they are not being completely honest with the rest of the world about how many people have died as a result of this and about whether or not they actually have it under control and confined.

Its not like they haven't tried to mislead before...

• Vintage 2

33 minutes ago, diesel_3 said:

Random off-topic story alert!

Did a road trip down to Nelson in 2003 and while using a payphone (yikes!) I was watching a gentleman crest the hill. He had a big beard, long ponytail, wearing a nice 3 piece suit, carrying a briefcase, and finally...it was all topped off with flip flops and extremely dirty feet.

I can still remember thinking to my 17 year old self "Where the hell am I?!"

Yeah, South Kootenays would have been a good guess....

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Times like this it makes you wish you were Bear Grylls or one of the guys on Mountain Men. You could secure and lock up your home then trek into the wilderness and live off the land for however long is necessary. 

Image result for robert redford mountain man gif

True - but those of us healthy enough and capable of doing so - are unlikely to die from this virus.

A romantic idea, but I'll be sticking around to take care of my responsibilities haha.

12 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Have any of you beautiful people been diagnosed with covid 19? Or do you have any family, friends, or know anyone that has?

Not yet. I am having some difficulty catching my breath but I do have hay fever, as well. Temperature is 36.5 though. So I think I’m good. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

There's an interesting report out of China, that there has been a drop of 21 million Cell phone accounts over the past three months. The suggestion is, that they are not being completely honest with the rest of the world about how many people have died as a result of this and about whether or not they actually have it under control and confined.

I think they're full of $&!#. Wuhan might be better but they ignored the problem for several weeks. These people flocked throughout China. Are they saying the whole virus within China is contained? Not a chance it could be. Russia is also full of $&!#.

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

Image result for robert redford mountain man gif

True - but those of us healthy enough and capable of doing so - are unlikely to die from this virus.

A romantic idea, but I'll be sticking around to take care of my responsibilities haha.

Bear Grylls is not a mountain man lmao, he's a fraud. All for entertainment. There's some decent survival tips on his show, but he's no Les Stroud. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

When/if this blows over, do you think general practices will resume as they were. or to change temporarily or forever?

Afterall, The Asian flu, Sars, H7N9  never changed travel practices

I myself hope that tougher screening to countries like China will be kept, enforced and adhered too

Maybe airlines will need to have individual self contained breathing apparatus from now on?

I imagine travel will be more costly with less competition

I can't see any Government ever wanting to go through this again, and wonder how they will do things differently to lessen the odds of it happening

i think some things are here to stay. people won't shake hands as much anymore. In fact, I think that over time, the gesture will disappear altogether. I think you'll see gloves and masks on more of a regular basis as well.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Greenman Wannabe said:

Bear Grylls is not a mountain man lmao, he's a fraud. All for entertainment. There's some decent survival tips on his show, but he's no Les Stroud. 

I have no idea who Bear Gryllis is - and don't really care..  But I know who Jeremiah Johnson is.  Regardless, it's a sidetrack that wasn't serious.

The reality is that people can run to the bush if they see fit - and some probably will/are - (that imo is an over-reaction/panic that presumes far more grave outcome to this crisis than is necessary) - but that doesn't and won't address/solve the problems the world faces right now. 

Edited by oldnews

2 hours ago, Russ said:

I get sick of the comparison "the flu kills xxxx people a year, corona isnt even close to that" when one is airborn year round and one is by fluids essentially transmitted.  When there is a 0.1% death rate from flu and 3ish % from corona, just wait until this spreads further as it hasn't reached many towns and areas yet. The more this overwelms hospitals the more deaths will occur.  Hopefully this doesnt mutate and hit people again who already have it, imagine those people suseptable to get it again, they would be gonners.

The biggest problem with 'common flu' numbers is it isn't confirmed cases, it's an estimate based on a formula. Whereas these corona numbers are actual confirmed cases. Here's an article on how they come up with a common flu estimate....

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/flu-deaths-reality-check-1.1127442

It's a long read but quite interesting. What it tells me is to take the number of deaths attributed to the common flu with a shaker of salt rather than a grain.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

China’s track record for honesty from their government is spotty at best. I don’t think for a moment that their in the clear. Winnie the Pooh is a dictator and the coronavirus won’t change that. 

• Cheers 2

31 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Dr. Bonnie and Adrian updating at 3...apparently it's a "big number" of new cases.

Kind of suspected this, as they did skip a day in their stats.  Also, it appears that they are testing more as well.

• Vintage 1