The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

22 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

So this pandemic stuff is getting personal for me, my 90 year old grandpa who lives alone in the Gulf islands (totally isolated) was having a bit of difficulty breathing and some other symptoms. he got airlifted to a hospital on the island for some tests. turns out he doesn't have covid, but cancer instead that has already spread. he has elected to go the medically assisted dying route in a month or so time, so that he will not have to live in a care home for the rest of his life and be stabilized with pain killers as his symptoms worsen. as a doctor and ww2 veteran I can only imagine the suffering he has seen and is totally at peace with going this way.

The other problem is with international travel restricted my aunt who lives in the Caribbean cannot even make it up here to see him as her small countries airport is closed. she is completely devastated. we hope he is allowed to leave the hospital, and that bc ferries continues to operate, so that we can say our goodbyes at his home since it doesn't matter if we pass covid to him anymore. who knows if we would be allowed to say goodbyes in the hospital if he has to stay there.

What a ruthless time all around. I imagine other folks are in the same boat with travel restrictions impacting seeing sick relatives and my deepest sympathy go out to anyone in this situation such as those stories in Italy with empty funerals.

Stay home and let's kill this virus spread

Very sorry to hear about your grandpa. And your aunt. I hope that he’s able to get back to the island so that you all can say your goodbyes. It’s a very hard time right now. 

Blows my mind that some people are still thinking that this is a hoax. There’s a woman in Ontario who’s telling people that they should visit her store and feel free to cough and sneeze everywhere. 

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/ontario-merchant-calls-covid-19-a-hoax-and-tells-coughing-customers-to-visit/ar-BB11BGFG?li=AAggNb9

Take care, Chicken 

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Dinotown? What the?

You guys better be careful, dictator JT might be taking your rights away and start sending people to gulags.

I think your maple syrup, poutine, weed and Nanaimo bars are first to be taken away.

Next he will confiscate your hockey sticks and ban hockey.

You also might loose mukluks and dog sled rights!

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

It is better to die on your feet

Than live in these socks?

Emilio Zapata 

yes,  I thought that "live in a pair of these" rhymed nicely with "live on your knees".

Those socks would be the straw that broke this camel's back lol.

And on that note, some ironic, comic relief....to the tune of Titanic.

• Haha 2

The GOP plan..........anybody over the age of 65 must report to carousel!  Pence will be the minister of renewal!  Of course, GOP members are excluded from this.  Need somebody getting rich!

A vast Sandman force will also reduce the unemployment.  

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I saw some 'fake news' interviews conducted by western enemies of the people with alleged Russian doctors - who said that Russia was mischaracterizing / intentionally 'misdiagnosing' Covid as pneumonia to create the (illusion?) that Russia is not as at risk at the rest of Europe and Asia.....

I guess Putin bought the hoax....

In Russia you have couple of choices, first choice is do what they tell you.

Next choice is suicide by shooting yourself in the head 6 times, poisoning by accident, running yourself over with a car etc.

One does not simple mess with the czar.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

For sure, no way millions of Chinese have died from this yet.

But as truth goes, they are as reliable as Russians.

I still remember not being able to go out in 1986 when radiation cloud was all over the Europe and Soviets were lying through their teeth.

Chernobyl was the first big story I kinda paid attention to. If recall correctly, The Soviets didn't say a thing initially. Then when Geiger counters in Bulgaria and places like that were going nuts people started poking around. Soviets denied anything was wrong. Then when radiation levels as far north as Finland were giving alarming readings, the Soviets said "yeah there was a minor incident but it's totally taken care of".

Then a few weeks later they came clean and said "yeah about that incident, funny thing is the whole thing kinda sorta blew the F up". "Sorry for the late heads up".

Would be impossible to hide something like that today.

• Vintage 2

34 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

So this pandemic stuff is getting personal for me, my 90 year old grandpa who lives alone in the Gulf islands (totally isolated) was having a bit of difficulty breathing and some other symptoms. he got airlifted to a hospital on the island for some tests. turns out he doesn't have covid, but cancer instead that has already spread. he has elected to go the medically assisted dying route in a month or so time, so that he will not have to live in a care home for the rest of his life and be stabilized with pain killers as his symptoms worsen. as a doctor and ww2 veteran I can only imagine the suffering he has seen and is totally at peace with going this way.

The other problem is with international travel restricted my aunt who lives in the Caribbean cannot even make it up here to see him as her small countries airport is closed. she is completely devastated. we hope he is allowed to leave the hospital, and that bc ferries continues to operate, so that we can say our goodbyes at his home since it doesn't matter if we pass covid to him anymore. who knows if we would be allowed to say goodbyes in the hospital if he has to stay there.

What a ruthless time all around. I imagine other folks are in the same boat with travel restrictions impacting seeing sick relatives and my deepest sympathy go out to anyone in this situation such as those stories in Italy with empty funerals.

That's tough stuff Chicken.

Very sorry to hear. Keep your head up man. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

I have no idea who Bear Gryllis is - and don't really care..  But I know who Jeremiah Johnson is.  Regardless, it's a sidetrack that wasn't serious.

The reality is that people can run to the bush if they see fit - and some probably will/are - (that imo is an over-reaction/panic that presumes far more grave outcome to this crisis than is necessary) - but that doesn't and won't address/solve the problems the world faces right now. 

Thanks for stating who that was. I know it isn't him but it sure as hell looks like Zach Galafinakis (sp) playing mountain man. 

Edited by Tortorella's Rant

54 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

My boss had originally reported a week or so ago that one of our clients who'd been in for a meeting Feb. 21 had it (and/or his wife?).  When I came down hard on him for his lax attitude about it all, he changed to they don't have it...that they were sick.   I also got a call yesterday from our courier (that we used last Friday) who stated they had a driver with it and were closing down for 2 weeks.  My boss said he wanted to hear for himself and reportedly called him (I think he may have faked the call?) and said I was wrong...that he's "just sick" and I was over reacting.  That he went to ER and got tested...but that was all apparently about 6 minutes after the original call I received from the company??!! So I challenged him because the call and shutdown wouldn't have happened if that was true.   So he's playing games with this, which is why I eventually lost it and said I was leaving.  Really unsafe conditions when he plays with fire and isn't transparent.  I'm now self isolating and working from home, just in case.  I still really don't know...but am erring on the side of caution.  Because now there's a huge breach of trust and my boss is full of....n/m.  Let's just say if he says no, in my mind, it means yes..he may as well go full Trump and start tweeting about all the fake news being reported to us.

That's sad. Employers need to take this seriously.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, spur1 said:

Trump fans saying that the old people should sacrifice themselves for the good of the economy. I say you first Donny:ph34r:

I realize that this is a two-step thought process - that many of Trump's ideological subjects might be immune to, but....

What happens when you go back to 'business as usual'....and over half your country inevitably winds up sick - and many of them, dying? 

How does your 'economy' look then? 

Sounds good to me.  Let's get it done before there's even capacity to test - let alone produce medicines.

Would that hasten the time it takes to get through this?  

Stable genius no doubt has thought it out for all us lesser minds.

I also love the idea of him providing oversight when he slushes out $500 billion - to deal with a 'hoax.'  Who said riding contradictions needs to be sophistocated?

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

In Russia you have couple of choices, first choice is do what they tell you.

Next choice is suicide by shooting yourself in the head 6 times, poisoning by accident, running yourself over with a car etc.

One does not simple mess with the czar.

Some people nevertheless face 'suicide'.

While others think it's a "great" idea to usher czarism into the United States.

"I'll be the oversight."

• Vintage 1

56 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

I know it's not the same, but one nice thing about technology - we can 'Zoom' or (I won't name some of the others) - but at least there's that / better than nothing (or complete isolation) - to be able to see/speak with family.

Edited by oldnews

24 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Chernobyl was the first big story I kinda paid attention to. If recall correctly, The Soviets didn't say a thing initially. Then when Geiger counters in Bulgaria and places like that were going nuts people started poking around. Soviets denied anything was wrong. Then when radiation levels as far north as Finland were giving alarming readings, the Soviets said "yeah there was a minor incident but it's totally taken care of".

Then a few weeks later they came clean and said "yeah about that incident, funny thing is the whole thing kinda sorta blew the F up". "Sorry for the late heads up".

Would be impossible to hide something like that today.

Now that you have some extra time I highly recommend watching Chernobyl on HBO. One of the best miniseries I've ever seen. 

• Cheers 3

14 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Some people nevertheless face 'suicide'.

While others think it's a "great" idea to usher czarism into the United States.

"I'll be the oversight."

Well the choice isn't a 'Lucius Cornelius Sulla Felix' type of dictator but rather a 'Nero Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus' type of caesar.