The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

42 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

That has to be somewhat humiliating to the worker who served him that coffee. I get it we need to take precautions but this is brutal. Guys a muppet who should brew his own joe at home. Don’t forget to spray down your Keurig. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

Guide to reduce virus risks issued for schools before reopening

TOKYO  - The education ministry on Tuesday issued guidelines to reduce the risk of coronavirus infection in schools across Japan that are scheduled to reopen in April after monthlong closures, calling for thorough ventilation of classrooms and warning against gathering in clusters.The guidelines also request that students and staff avoid conversing with others at close quarters, check their body temperature frequently and wear face masks. If an infection is confirmed, the infected individual and those they were in close contact with are to be suspended, according to the guidelines. Temporary closure of classes or the entire school will also be recommended. "The situation has not improved. We want (schools) to prepare (for reopening) without lowering their guard," education minister Koichi Hagiuda told a press conference. The ministry asked education boards across the country on Feb. 28 to close their schools until the end of the spring break in early April as part of efforts to contain the virus outbreak. But the request targeting elementary, junior high and high schools in the country was not mandatory and it was left to local authorities to decide how long the suspension should last. Some elementary and junior high schools in Japan resumed classes on March 16, about two weeks after shutdown. Hagiuda also said the government could ask schools to close again if there is an explosive surge in infections."We want schools to carefully consult with the prefectural governments" in deciding when to reopen classes, taking into consideration how the virus has been spreading locally, the minister told a parliament session. The guidelines also call for thorough hand-washing before eating school lunches. Hagiuda said the schools will be recommended to use checklists of measures against virus infection to be distributed to them by the ministry.

6 minutes ago, Baggins said:

My ex grew up in a similar situation. They had a TV but CBC only. Wood heat and no indoor plumbing. She grew up half a mile outside a small town. Well water and an outhouse. Electricity and CBC their only luxuries. 

Found out today even if BC does a full shutdown to essential services I'll have to go to work. Being in the "higher risk" age group I was actually half hoping for a month off. Don't like to give up the money but I can afford it. And money won't do me any good in the hospital on a respirator.

We only had CBC and CTV for the first 13 years of my life.  I didn't have a colour tv until I was 4-5

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

In hindsight I honestly have doubts and wonder if my very sudden (and weird) bout of food poisoning was actually food poisoning now.  Started with a massive nosebleed at work...then food poisoning like symptoms that lasted days and had some wheezing.  :o:blink:

In hindsight I also wonder whether the bout of Bronchitis I had late February was actually Bronchitis or not...I would wake up with a sore throat then it was gone the next day. I spent 6 days at home until I wasn't fatigued and coughing all the time.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Baggins said:

My ex grew up in a similar situation. They had a TV but CBC only. Wood heat and no indoor plumbing. She grew up half a mile outside a small town. Well water and an outhouse. Electricity and CBC their only luxuries. 

Found out today even if BC does a full shutdown to essential services I'll have to go to work. Being in the "higher risk" age group I was actually half hoping for a month off. Don't like to give up the money but I can afford it. And money won't do me any good in the hospital on a respirator.

It all depends on what level of essential service you are from my understanding.  Can you not say no saying you do not feel the work is safe?

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Scary stuff on the news today...this stuff's even more serious day by day.  With the rate this is spreading across the world it's baaaaaad news.

Also...after infected cruise ship cabins were evacuated the virus was still on surfaces up to 17 hours afterward!  Now apparently there has to be more research done about it (because was it still able to be transmitted/active/whatever).  But everyone has to take this thing seriously.  Starting yesterday.

that is not really a new development

they are already aware that the virus can survive on surfaces for 24 hours or more

in the right conditions

humidity is an important factor

so hearing it persisted longer then average on a ship is not really too surprising

and however scarey the news is today

dr. henry answered a couple questions more directly today

then i have ever heard from her before

she refuted what the royal columbia doctors wrote in their letter

and also confirmed that we are not on the same trajectory as italy or the usa (also mentioned washington state)

she said we got on top of the virus issue early and put in place proper measures early

it could be she said something similar in an earlier update

but i have listened to most and she has been very careful about her predictions

she was pretty clear we are on a different and better track then those 2 countries

Edited by coastal.view

9 minutes ago, Grapefruits said:

It all depends on what level of essential service you are from my understanding.  Can you not say no saying you do not feel the work is safe?

i am essential as well

do i get a badge or ribbon or something?

dammit

how come i have to keep going to work

• Haha 1

Just saw a story about a 42 year old healthcare worker in Georgia who died as a result of COVID-19. To make it far worse, the coroner estimates that her 4 year old daughter was with her for about 14 hours after she passed away. :(

https://www.ajc.com/news/virus-claims-two-georgia-healthcare-workers/XTijtgzE6z2gcoZ7QLvPZN/

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Huggy Bear 1

4 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i am essential as well

do i get a badge or ribbon or something?

dammit

how come i have to keep going to work

What level of essential service?  I have been labelled as essential service but I still have the option of refusing work.

8 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

that is not really a new development

they are already aware that the virus can survive on surfaces for 24 hours or more

in the right conditions

humidity is an important factor

so hearing it persisted longer then average on a ship is not really too surprising

and however scarey the news is today

dr. henry answered a couple questions more directly today

then i have ever heard from her before

she refuted what the royal columbia doctors wrote in their letter

and also confirmed that we are not on the same trajectory as italy or the usa (also mentioned washington state)

she said we got on top of the virus issue early and put in place proper measures early

it could be she said something similar in an earlier update

but i have listened to most and she has been very careful about her predictions

she was pretty clear we are on a different and better track then those 2 countries

I got that sense as well. I’m hopeful that Canada may be able to manage this pandemic better than other countries have, and am hopeful that we adopt as much of South Korea’s methodologies as possible.