The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

I work in a highly political sector.  Make no qualms about it, the health sector at the level she is at is highly political.  She speaks like a politician, with the knowledge of a specialized physician.  That is why she is in the position she is now.  She knows what to say and how to say it in a way that doesn't throw anyone under the bus.  If the physicians in the Province see a major issue coming forth that encourages a lock down, I'm sure Dr Henry sees it too.

i do not share your cyncism

there are people who do continue to act ethically

in times of crisis

there are many of us out here

that also possess high end skills

to assess what we are being told

i am unimpressed with your work situation

it does not add credit your posts or viewpoints

for your view to be accurate

dr henry would need to be a psychopath

that trump can truly aspire to model

because she'd have to  be genius at it

given all she has said daily for weeks now

without wavering in her message

Edited by coastal.view
  • Upvote 2

THE LATEST:

• Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry will give her daily update at 3 p.m. PT.
  • There are 617 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in B.C. Thirteen people have died.
  • 173 people in B.C. have recovered and are cleared to stop isolating.
  • 3,866 hospital beds have been freed up for coronavirus patients.
  • Nearly half of all COVID-19 cases in Canada got sick through community transmission.
  • British Columbians remain under orders to stay home as much as possible and, if outside, to stay two metres apart from others.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i do not share your cyncism

there are people who do continue to act ethically

in times of crisis

there are many of us out here

that also possess high end skills

to assess what we are being told

i am unimpressed with your work situation

it does not add credit your posts or viewpoints

for your view to be accurate

dr henry would need to be a psychopath

that trump can truly aspire to model

because she'd have to  be genius at it

given all she has said daily for weeks now

without wavering in her message

We can agree to disagree.  I just made a decision on behalf of my politically charged organization last week that resulted in 780+ people to be able to stay home from work due to this pandemic.  I know a thing or two about how political these decisions are considering my organization is in a sector that stands side by side with the health sector.

Edited by HKSR

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

We can agree to disagree.  I just made a decision on behalf of my politically charged organization last week that resulted in 780+ people to be able to stay home from work due to this pandemic.  I know a thing or two about how political these decisions are considering my organization is in a sector that stands side by side with the health sector.

why don't you inform us then

about who is giving accurate messaging regarding this pandemic

because i'm sure someone is

who can people turn to with confidence ?

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

why don't you inform us then

about who is giving accurate messaging regarding this pandemic

because i'm sure someone is

who can people turn to with confidence ?

I'm not saying that the words Dr Henry are saying is false.  Just listen to HOW she is saying it to figure out what is actually happening.  This is the essence of political responses to difficult questions.

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I too am a former PGer....but a bit older....

I played a bit with Don Nachbaur, although he was a couple years older. I also once got a summer gig working at a hockey school run by Darcy Rota.

If you played any hockey, you may have seen the banners for the Midget Kings team that went to the National Wrigley Tournament in Montreal. I was one of the guys on that banner.

I met Rota a few times back in his playing days. He is basically the reason I started liking the Canucks. I learned to hit from Don at hockey school, and I remember one practice Oiler scouts were in the stands cause he had just been traded from the Whalers to the Oilers the day before.  He worked us extra hard that practice.  I had a Whaler jersey because I liked him so much. I was the only kid I knew who had one there.  I was a kid so both these guys were larger than life.  I think I can recall the banner because we didn’t have many back then did we?  Our teams didn’t get out of BC very often and when they did it was big news. I would have asked my Dad about it.  I don’t know what it is like now but one of my favorite hockey buildings of all times is the PG Coliseum.  I remember the Mohawks as well and they even did a tour here in Japan.  I still keep an eye on the WHL to see how many of the boys are from the northern part of BC including Rupert. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, HKSR said:

I'm not saying that the words Dr Henry are saying is false.  Just listen to HOW she is saying it to figure out what is actually happening.  This is the essence of political responses to difficult questions.

so you can provide no source

that you have full confidence in ?

zero?

1 hour ago, Heretic said:

Kids aren't going back to school - just the teachers.

Just heard today that a person in Vernon has tested positive for covid-19 and was recently (before spring break) inside Fulton Secondary.

I work from home (Systems Admin / Dev Ops) and I (and my wife who is a teacher) don't understand why the teachers have to go back - they can do lesson plans from home, the curriculum is online, and they can email parents.  

My niece and nephew have 1 on 1 zoom calls with their Kumon instructors every other night. 

Teachers should be able to email the parents and if need be spin up a zoom call to help. 

The fall out will be interesting to see how many jobs can actually be done remotely. 

The logistics for enforcing this seem astounding

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/mandatory-quarantines-for-international-travellers-kick-in-at-midnight-health-minister/ar-BB11HkdQ?ocid=spartanntp

Mandatory quarantines for international travellers kick in at midnight: health minister

All travellers returning to Canada — with the exception of what the federal government is calling "essential workers" — will have to enter a mandatory 14-day quarantine as of midnight to try to slow the spread of COVID-19, federal Health Minister Patty Hajdu said this morning

"This new measure will provide the clarity for those re-entering the country about the essential need to self-isolate," she told the Senate, where she was discussing the Liberal government's emergency legislation to free up $82 billion to help Canadians weather the COVID-19 crisis.

"Individuals who exhibit symptoms upon arrival in Canada will be forbidden, also, from using public transit to travel to their places self isolation."

Hajdu said those travellers also will be forbidden to quarantine in a place where they can come into contact with vulnerable people. She said the Public Health Agency of Canada will make alternative arrangements for people in those circumstances.

Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland said more specific information on enforcement is coming later today.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Oh I give up.  You just don't understand.  You only look at these things one way and one way only. 

I simply believe Dr Henry would like a lock down.  The political authorities are the ones that make that call.

you are correct

i take her at her word

you do not

so i agree we disagree

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

The logistics for enforcing this seem astounding

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/mandatory-quarantines-for-international-travellers-kick-in-at-midnight-health-minister/ar-BB11HkdQ?ocid=spartanntp

Mandatory quarantines for international travellers kick in at midnight: health minister

it really is. Something on the order of 1 million people coming back. Asking for self-compliance is really the only option. 

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, samurai said:

I met Rota a few times back in his playing days. He is basically the reason I started liking the Canucks. I learned to hit from Don at hockey school, and I remember one practice Oiler scouts were in the stands cause he had just been traded from the Whalers to the Oilers the day before.  He worked us extra hard that practice.  I had a Whaler jersey because I liked him so much. I was the only kid I knew who had one there.  I was a kid so both these guys were larger than life.  I think I can recall the banner because we didn’t have many back then did we?  Our teams didn’t get out of BC very often and when they did it was big news. I would have asked my Dad about it.  I don’t know what it is like now but one of my favorite hockey buildings of all times is the PG Coliseum.  I remember the Mohawks as well and they even did a tour here in Japan.  I still keep an eye on the WHL to see how many of the boys are from the northern part of BC including Rupert. 

I played a fair amount at the old Coliseum, but by the time I got to Midget, we were mostly at the Kin Center. The banners I was talking about used to hang there, but someone told me that they took them down when PG hosted the Winter games.

I did play a bit at the Coliseum a couple years later. I was with the Spruce Kings for a part of a season, but I got a job offer that wouldn't allow me to travel on weekends and I was already 18, so I took the job.

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it really is. Something on the order of 1 million people coming back. Asking for self-compliance is really the only option. 

surveillance state activate :ph34r:

nobody (realistically) goes anywhere without their phone nowadays, so using telecommunication companies to assist would be the only way to "enforce"

or give everyone coming back an ankle monitor lol

We are living in such a backward society now... we are so afraid of adopting the prevention model in Asia where they are all expected to use face masks and adhere to strict isolation after travelling back home. Dr. Henry repeatedly said masks don't protect us and if we are healthy.....but....... isn't there a long incubation period and many carriers don't show symptoms at all? 

Then, there's the huge controversy between Dr. Henry and the hospital frontline heroes.... the medical staff are screaming for more supplies and are demanding lockdown!! Dr. Henry claims she's not aware of any shortage in medical supplies and that we shouldn't do too much too soon... WTF eh???????????

My thoughts on this criss...  we should all do our part... don't fxxking leave our homes unless one person in the house is going out to get food or to keep our jobs or to deal with something medically urgent.... we can weather this storm in solidarity.... we know we can't count on this gov't or BC Health alone.... do what makes logical sense! Don't let misinformation and stigma fxxk us up!

Edited by Virtanen#18
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

surveillance state activate :ph34r:

nobody (realistically) goes anywhere without their phone nowadays, so using telecommunication companies to assist would be the only way to "enforce"

or give everyone coming back an ankle monitor lol

or people just leave their phone at home and go out. I guess we all get ankle bracelets now? :lol:

we just have to hope that the knuckleheads among us are not enough to keep the infection rate increasing.