The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

2 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Would be nice to know the exact # of cases per city/town.... just so we all have a better idea about our own community!

In Korea, they decided to battle by transparency over privacy..... I know most ppl would feel uncomfortable letting all others know there's an outbreak inside their specific neighborhood.... but that helps heighten the awareness!! 

not sure I understand this, we know a lot about where our cases are coming from, they've named the seniors housing, we know that dental conference, we know the counts in every health authority, what level of detail are you looking for, and how would it change your behaviour?

BCs testing is in decent shape. We have the capacity to test ~3,300 people per day in BC now. For comparison, S.Korea has a 15,000 person per day capacity for 10X the population of BC. They are focusing the testing on health care workers and tracing down community outbreaks where we don't know the cause. If you're a returning traveller, e.,g they aren't wasting resources testing you, you need to self-isolate anyway. 

5 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

339 of the cases are in the VCH region

1 new care home has a case (Broadway Pentecostal Lodge)

9 long term care facilities with confirmed cases now

Testing is focused mainly on the health care sector

my wife's friend works in long term seniors care. She's freaking out, at her facility apparently much of the staff aren't even doing proper hand washing and they are sharing things like magazines between residents :wacko: we're failing these folks. 

I should mention its a private facility..... I wonder if thats part of the problem?

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Wat 3

11 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Wow.... only 42 new... I guess we'll take that as a pleasant surprise! I've been expecting hundreds on a daily basis for next few weeks looking at the trajectory.... but then again, maybe they are still very behind in testing and it sucks that we don't have resources to test every suspect patients like Korea! Korea quickly max'd at around 5,000+ in such a short span and then the curve got flattened right after..

I wish Bonnie would go into more detail as to how many new cases relate to recent travel history and how many are from community transmission..... we deserve to know more!

I want to thank all the medical staff, delivery drivers, workers serving us at groceries.. they are all taking on a huge risk at a difficult time like this.... I have very little sympathy for those who just had to travel out for fun and then got infected... the alarm bells started back in Feb and yet I know a lot still chose to vacation throughout March.... it doesn't kill you to just cancel your damn trips! 

Apparently they've cleared their backlog of testing, so I'm hoping we won't see a big ballooning of numbers!

Also important to note that a lot of the "new" infected people could be those who were infected up to two weeks ago, so there'll likely be some number of currently asymptomatic people becoming symptomatic as the days go as well.

Basically, we're still very early, but we're starting the game without letting in the early goal. Let's keep it up, folks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

339 of the cases are in the VCH region

1 new care home has a case (Broadway Pentecostal Lodge)

9 long term care facilities with confirmed cases now

Testing is focused mainly on the health care sector

So does this mean that the testing numbers really are not very accurate to the reality of infections...

I guy in my city...  is told he has it.  But told to stay home.  So he is not officially in the numbers as he was not tested....

Does this mean that instead of 45 new today...   there were probably 500 people today that were positively identified as infected... but not tested....

• Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

not sure I understand this, we know a lot about where our cases are coming from, they've named the seniors housing, we know that dental conference, we know the counts in every health authority, what level of detail are you looking for, and how would it change your behaviour?

BCs testing is in decent shape. We have the capacity to test ~3,300 people per day in BC now. For comparison, S.Korea has a 15,000 person per day capacity for 10X the population of BC. They are focusing the testing on health care workers and tracing down community outbreaks where we don't know the cause. If you're a returning traveller, e.,g they aren't wasting resources testing you, you need to self-isolate anyway. 

You seem to know a whole lot about the operation of Bonnie's team... care to comment why they refuse to test those that clearly got the symptoms?? I know this friend who's got fever and coughs for days... but got turned away coz apparently, she is "doesn't seem like dying"....  it's true story!

Knowing the exact # of cases in each specific area say... Kerrisdale, Killarney, Fraserview will DEFINITELY make a HUGE difference in how the people behave.... are you telling me your neighbours are not gonna smarten up when they just found out another 30 new cases in their hood today and think twice about meeting their buddies to get Starbucks?? 

2 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

You seem to know a whole lot about the operation of Bonnie's team... care to comment why they refuse to test those that clearly got the symptoms?? I know this friend who's got fever and coughs for days... but got turned away coz apparently, she is "doesn't seem like dying"....  it's true story!

Knowing the exact # of cases in each specific area say... Kerrisdale, Killarney, Fraserview will DEFINITELY make a HUGE difference in how the people behave.... are you telling me your neighbours are not gonna smarten up when they just found out another 30 new cases in their hood today and think twice about meeting their buddies to get Starbucks?? 

The way i see it is...  If you have the virus and you are capable of recovering on your own.... they don't want you at the hospital to get tested as you could infect health care workers...   They only want you at the hospital if you are in need of urgent care .....

This creates very low actual tested positive numbers though.

I think they focus on testing health care workers... so these workers don't spread the virus to people in the hospital that may have compromised immune systems...

Thats my take. I am probably wrong though... 

• Upvote 2

Also, I figured by now the US Republicans haven't noticed that the word "pandemic" is actually an anagram for "dem panic".  Certainly the flippant way they have treated this I would not be surprised if it surfaced on Fox News.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

The number of new cases for USA... wow.

When the Commander in Chief for the longest time said "it's just the flu & it'll go away in a puff of smoke" and even today, it'll be business as usual come Easter.....much of the general population ain't going to be taking it seriously.  Sure, it occurs here as well (eg., before the parks & beach closures) but at least the government was making an attempt to address the problem (you can debate how effective they're doing it).

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

The way i see it is...  If you have the virus and you are capable of recovering on your own.... they don't want you at the hospital to get tested as you could infect health care workers...   They only want you at the hospital if you are in need of urgent care .....

This creates very low actual tested positive numbers though.

I think they focus on testing health care workers... so these workers don't spread the virus to people in the hospital that may have compromised immune systems...

Thats my take. I am probably wrong though... 

I totally get your point... and perhaps, I'm more focused on identifying as many as possible NOW then let the numbers linger over time.... the most effective approach, in my humble opinion, is to isolate as many positives ASAP.... we can't afford to take a chance on community outbreak.

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

why would you waste scare testing resources on someone who's got the symptoms? you know what to do, stay home. 

you should be following the proper procedures now, it doesn't matter if you live in Kerrisdale or Killarney, people are allowed to go out and get food, etc. You have to assume its everywhere. Its just a waste of BC CDCs time to get into the weeds like you want, it doesn't change what you need to do, and might cause problems. 

Well... maybe you are right in your approach... it'll just take longer and risk having more ppl infected if we don't weed out as many and as quickly as possible.... maybe we don't need a lockdown after all seeing very few deaths compared to Italy/Spain.... 

2 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

the stat trends look encouraging

i think we need a further 4 or 5 day window

we are not seeing spiking happening which is a very good thing

not for Quebec tho, seems to be really increasing there. 

30 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Wow.... only 42 new... I guess we'll take that as a pleasant surprise! I've been expecting hundreds on a daily basis for next few weeks looking at the trajectory.... but then again, maybe they are still very behind in testing and it sucks that we don't have resources to test every suspect patients like Korea! Korea quickly max'd at around 5,000+ in such a short span and then the curve got flattened right after..

I wish Bonnie would go into more detail as to how many new cases relate to recent travel history and how many are from community transmission..... we deserve to know more!

I want to thank all the medical staff, delivery drivers, workers serving us at groceries.. they are all taking on a huge risk at a difficult time like this.... I have very little sympathy for those who just had to travel out for fun and then got infected... the alarm bells started back in Feb and yet I know a lot still chose to vacation throughout March.... it doesn't kill you to just cancel your damn trips! 

dr henry

said during her update that on friday

she will show graphs demonstrating the modelling they are using

she will also be discussing numbers/estimates regarding covid19 cases that were not diagnosed by testing

but are likely covid1i9 cases due to other factors (family members etc)

i think that session will give us all the best idea where this is going

the information to date remains solid and consistent

if you all can find the time

that will be a key update to view

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

the stat trends look encouraging

i think we need a further 4 or 5 day window

we are not seeing spiking happening which is a very good thing

I like your optimistic view and sure hope you're right too.... we'll see if there are any spikes over the next week or two. 

If all of us would stick to the isolation protocol where one person gets out once a week to get food or the ones that must go out to provide essential services, we can definitely defeat this beast in less than a month!

• Upvote 1