The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

15 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Estimates of the real death toll in China from the coronavirus - UK say multiply by up to 40

Mon 30 Mar 2020 02:40:14 GMT

UK press report PM Johnson has been advised the death toll in China has been understated by a factor of 15 to 40 times'

A senior Cabinet Minister :
  • 'We can't stand by and allow the Chinese state's desire for secrecy to ruin the world's economy and then come back like nothing has happened."
A senior Minister: 
  • 'We have always known their wildlife markets are a recipe for a pandemic. China needs to close these down immediately. If they don't, they will rightly become a pariah state.'

Separately, RFA:
  • Wuhan residents said they were growing increasingly skeptical that the figure of some 2,500 deaths in the city to date was accurate
  • Since the start of the week, seven large funeral homes in Wuhan have been handing out the cremated remains of around 500 people to their families every day, suggesting that far more people died than ever made the official statistics.
  • news website Caixin.com reported that 5,000 urns had been delivered by a supplier to the Hankou Funeral Home in one day alone -- double the official number of deaths.

None of this should be surprising.

I work with a guy who’s originally from Hong Kong and he estimated as far back as late January/early February that the numbers from China were laughable and you might as well multiply them by as much as 50. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Russ said:

Thats to bad, SuperStore and FreshCo had dedicated guys cleaning everythinng before people were touching carts, etc.  where I am.  Gotta say good on them from what I saw.

Same with Whole Foods.  They have yellow lines at the entrance that keep people 6 feet apart and they only let you in when another person leaves so the store only has so many people in it at one time.  They even have the yellow lines at the check out counter.  They also have hand wipes and hand sanitzers at multiple locations.  Plus I saw some staff disinfecting the carts and they even have a sign that says "these carts have been cleaned and disinfected".  They even had toilet paper each time I went there over the last 2 weeks.  And lots of canned food and bread. 

Safeway is the exact opposite.  They only had some hand sanitzer at the entrance, nothing else for safety.  And they never have any toilet paper or canned goods and sometimes they don't even have bread, bananas or tomatoes.  So even though Whole Foods is much farther away I still go there over Safeway now and just stock up.  Plus the staff at Whole Foods is much more friendlier and they have more selection of healthier items to eat.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Estimates of the real death toll in China from the coronavirus - UK say multiply by up to 40

Mon 30 Mar 2020 02:40:14 GMT

UK press report PM Johnson has been advised the death toll in China has been understated by a factor of 15 to 40 times'

A senior Cabinet Minister :
  • 'We can't stand by and allow the Chinese state's desire for secrecy to ruin the world's economy and then come back like nothing has happened."
A senior Minister: 
  • 'We have always known their wildlife markets are a recipe for a pandemic. China needs to close these down immediately. If they don't, they will rightly become a pariah state.'

Separately, RFA:
  • Wuhan residents said they were growing increasingly skeptical that the figure of some 2,500 deaths in the city to date was accurate
  • Since the start of the week, seven large funeral homes in Wuhan have been handing out the cremated remains of around 500 people to their families every day, suggesting that far more people died than ever made the official statistics.
  • news website Caixin.com reported that 5,000 urns had been delivered by a supplier to the Hankou Funeral Home in one day alone -- double the official number of deaths.

None of this should be surprising.

https://abc14news.com/2020/03/24/21-million-chinese-cellphone-users-disappear-in-three-months/

China’s Ministry of Marketplace and Information and facts Engineering (MIIT) announced on March 19 the amount of mobile phone users in each individual province in February. In comparison with the prior announcement, which was released on Dec. 18, 2019, for November 2019 information, equally cellphone and landline end users dropped radically. In the exact same time period the 12 months just before, the variety of buyers greater.

The quantity of cellphone buyers decreased from 1.600957 billion to 1.579927 billion, a drop of 21.03 million. The amount of landline people reduced from 190.83 million to 189.99 million, a fall of 840,000. In the former February, the range improved. According to MIIT, the range of cellphone people increased in February 2019 from 1.5591 billion to 1.5835 billion, which is 24.37 million a lot more. The amount of landline buyers improved from 183.477 million to 190.118 million, which is 6.641 million much more.

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

let's not over simplify things

just because you prefer some aura of mistrust about our local authorities

people in each region want to know what is going on locally

tv stations report locally and have a local audience

the local health authority would be the go to person to report on what is going on locally

that person would have the greatest detailed knowledge of the local situation

that is why dr henry is relied on in bc

you are correct in inferring that governor cuomo and the new york media does not rely on her reports (or all sorts of media outlets in the usa)

that is all too obvious to me

i think it is silly for you to even bother to point this out

not sure why you think medical authorities who speak more generally on the covid19 issue

would be an authority on what is going on in bc

Silly me. What does Dr Anthony Fauci know? 
Check him out sometime. He deals with the Covid 19 problem while fighting off an orange haired buffoon at the same time. :lol:

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

I've seen this reporting. The answer appears to be these are business lines which were not needed with business almost entirely curtailed. Same with the land lines. If you are stuck at home just keep the cell connection. Seems plausible. I guess we'll have the answer if these lines are reactivated or not.

Still it is a tad far fetched to think 21 million people died in China. Even in China it would be near impossible to hide a 21 Megadeath event.

Well and it doesn't really make sense..if that was the case deaths globally would be much more higher 

In Sechelt most places are closed two of the three hardware stores are closed only the rona is open and they close every two hours for cleaning.the ferries are dead going to Horseshoe Bay.They are only loading the bottom deck now.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Violator said:

In Sechelt most places are closed two of the three hardware stores are closed only the rona is open and they close every two hours for cleaning.the ferries are dead going to Horseshoe Bay.They are only loading the bottom deck now.

As it needs to be...stay at home. 

5 hours ago, Down by the River said:

I think the problem with how researchers are communicating these models is that nobody is talking about how social distance is defined in their models. Social distancing is a spectrum. We started with social distancing as no gatherings of >200... then >50, then >10; now coffee shops allow 2 persons in a shop at a time (at least from the signs I saw in my neighborhood). 

I think the wide-ranging estimates of how long we must maintain social distancing (some saying 8 weeks, others 18 months per the articles quoted) might come partially from how social distancing is defined. 

I heard 2 metres or 6 feet or one Cariboo length apart

4 hours ago, Pickly said:

I work with a guy who’s originally from Hong Kong and he estimated as far back as late January/early February that the numbers from China were laughable and you might as well multiply them by as much as 50. 

Dude, in 2011 they had a high speed train accident and they tried to hide it by actually burying the derailed cars - you can google it.  In Asia nobody believes anything the Chinese gov't says that is just standard operating procedures.  You cannot call them out on it for obvious reasons.  Their new narrative in the making is that the virus did not originate in China.  China is a country with serious credibility issues even before this happened.  I do some business with 'mainland' Chinese and they can sure stretch the truth when they need to.  You have to be careful.

• Cheers 4

54 minutes ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

That is one wicked “five across the eyes”.  The guy got whiplash. 

Makes me wonder the whole story though, as i doubt the situation warranted that. He didnt seem to be yelling at the guy who hit him. 

Yeah some context would be helpful. Didn’t see him spit at anything either, as suggested in the tweet.

People who react like that are usually looking for a reason to act like that. If he was “defending” against covid19 he didn’t really consider the saliva and blood droplets he just slapped across the store... Nothing justifies that. Just a guy jumping on an opportunity to get violent. Hero pos is still a pos, imo.

• Wat 4

14 hours ago, coastal.view said:

i think the idea of testing is a bit misunderstood

it is not necessary that everyone be tested

the testing happens relating to tracing activities

and hospital admissions (so they are certain what they will be treating)

the outcome for having symptoms is always the same

if you are unwell and have any symptoms

stay home for 14 days

this does not change with testing (or testing results)

it's not really presently an issue of test shortages

though being prudent on how tests are used is wise as more could be required later

there is a cost for each test, there is an additional cost to process each test to get results

so there are financial reasons as well to target testing

there is also a health risk for administering each test

a health official does the testing

it almost always results in a cough during testing

that creates a health risk to that person

and also requires a change of protective equipment for each test

so there is health risks and health equipment issues as well

not trying to be picky here

but testing is not really fully understood

this issue has been explained many times by dr. henry in her updates

but it warrants repeating

I don't think you're being "picky" at all, coastal....

.....this is something that has come up several times and I think it's good that you give people some answers to their questions. I admit that I haven't been following Dr Bonnie's updates, but the reasoning behind not testing everyone seemed pretty obvious to me. I just couldn't be bothered wading into that particular discussion and TBH, I didn't know that she had made the points you cite...

Thanks for taking the time.