Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

so on the china situation

i'm just curious

they basically managed to isolate the virus to a small area of the country

so that means a huge majority of the country has not been exposed

and is completely vulnerable to any exposure at all

at some point in time the virus will go through the remaining population like everywhere else

unless china continues to keep it out of the country

this approach is not really sustainable unless borders remain closed indefinitely

so is their plan to just hang in there until an effective vaccine is developed?

so they will keep things the way they are for another year or so still

since that is the minimum time frame to develop such a vaccine ?

and should a virus get into a new city there

will we see a wuhan repeat ?

entire city in lock down with military presence to ensure compliance?

Edited by coastal.view

6 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i'm just curious

at some point in time the virus will go through the remaining population like everywhere else

this approach is not really sustainable unless borders remain closed indefinitely

Well, it's China, so I would have to assume they'll lock down as many people, cities and provinces as needed. 

35 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yet you were "shaking your head" at the idea that Trump was affecting COVID-19....:unsure:

Correct - it's happening no matter what he says. 

Stupid people will still be stupid - no matter what Trump does.

25 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Nailed it.

Going out is so stressful and my anxiety goes through the roof.  It's easier this way...not going to fight it or feel I'm missing out by removing myself from society.  The only issue I have is it's absolutely KILLING ME to not be able to be with my family.  We are so incredibly close and when the walls close in, we get together, play board games or share a meal and everything just goes away.  Without that, it's like I'm deficient.

I know "this too shall pass" but I had a moment (again) last night where it really hit me.  Who would have ever imagined this?

Even when Dad was battling chemo and so susceptible to everything....I could be there for/with him.  Now he's floundering out there on his own.  

We all need to just hang in there...what we do in the here and now will greatly impact how long we have to endure this misery.

Best of luck to your Mom, Lois.  Heart wrenching to have to "sit and wait" to see if our loved ones remain unscathed and safe.  Be strong.  <3

I went out the other day and touched a single keypad out of habit and panicked.

Luckily there's only 12 cases so far in Northern BC (I wish they'd say which communities exactly). It's still scary when we don't know who else might have it and don't want to spread it.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i'm just curious

A new video, credible video and report shows over 5000 urns being delivered to a single crematorium in Wuhan.  The belief that China has this locked down, that only a few thousand have died and that all is well is a farce.  They know if they push through and this continues devastating the US and starting to affect Russia when it blows over; they'll be THE world super power.  They just have to maintain things as they were as of 3 months ago.

The prevailing theory is that China has in fact lied about everything regarding their handling of this virus and that they plan on going full steam ahead within reason and damn the casualties.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Bingo!

But....people still need to point fingers.

Out of all of this, I am hoping we can put the bulk of this Left v Right debate behind us and realize we're all in this mess together and the Leafs suck

I think we as a nation can all agree to this!  Should be what unites us!

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

A new video, credible video and report shows over 5000 urns being delivered to a single crematorium in Wuhan.  The belief that China has this locked down, that only a few thousand have died and that all is well is a farce.  They know if they push through and this continues devastating the US and starting to affect Russia when it blows over; they'll be THE world super power.  They just have to maintain things as they were as of 3 months ago.

The prevailing theory is that China has in fact lied about everything regarding their handling of this virus and that they plan on going full steam ahead within reason and damn the casualties.

If I recall correctly, there are also reports of millions of cell phone plans not being continued in China. Probably not all of that is corona, but I bet some of it is.

Edited by The Lock

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

but that makes no sense

unless the bulk of their population is already immune

they basically have a big problem with their remaining population

their country is in forced isolation globally

as they cannot risk allowing anyone with any virus shedding potential

into any area of their country that has not already been exposed

they in fact have made their country very weak as they are sitting on a ticking time bomb

their own population is extremely exposed to the virus coming back

they need to jail their own population or wall in their whole country

that does not give them superpower potential in my view

2 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

but that makes no sense

they in fact have made their country very weak as they are sitting on a ticking time bomb

Sadly that's your view and my own.  Not apparently theirs.

A population approaching 2 billion in a nation that has deemed its people expendable since the 50s.  

If they can continue production, keep their GDP rolling they can stand to gain much in the world after this 

Edited by Warhippy
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, redhdlois said:

It is very stressful ‘out there’.  Doing laundry last night was stressful (It’s a communal facility).

I was so relaxed and safe being at home for two weeks.  

We have never been through anything like this before, and the uncertainty of how long this will last is very stressful.

I feel your stress....it’s very hard for our vulnerable seniors that depend on us for help.

This is when I think the cultures that live together have an advantage.....they are all there to help and take care of each other. 
Hugs to you Deb.

image.jpeg.467d158434132e0eef5d2d5c89227ce9.jpeg

but the virus infection method is fairly well documented

and the way to avoid getting it is also clearly set out

maintain social distancing when out

wash hands thoroughly upon return

disinfect surfaces to deal with any virus containment

and you should be fine

if you are totally isolated

then going out does increase risk

but there are other risks in life other then the virus

and no one stays home permanently

to avoid the risks of living

so stay safe

but don't let fears totally control your life

reasonable care for safety should keep risks to a reasonable minimum

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I went out the other day and touched a single keypad out of habit and panicked.

Luckily there's only 12 cases so far in Northern BC (I wish they'd say which communities exactly). It's still scary when we don't know who else might have it and don't want to spread it.

It's weird...those moments...I get it.  I have them too and they crash over me and create a volcano of "OMG what if's?". 

I take a veggie/produce bag and use it (I'm all out of wipes/gloves)....but I don't throw it in the parking lot as I see other discarded protection items....it goes straight into the trash on the outside of the store.  Environmentally not so great...but I get comfort.  I also sanitize my debit card...have a ziploc that I put it straight into in the car.  Keys too when I'm done.  It's a lot, so I try not to have to go out or do this stuff.

If I forget and am not in full blown anxiety mode, I sanitize and go straight home to wash.  I always take my shoes off outside (been doing so for years) and change downstairs into clean clothes.  Since a deadly rabbit virus was circulating, this has been my routine so I'm fairly well seasoned with this stuff.  Just more of the same.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

but that makes no sense

It's about image. If China looks like they've been able to fight this virus effectively while the US cannot, they look to be the better nation. China is all about image these days. They provide loans to many nations around the world doing major infrastructure projects in order to "win favour" from those countries. They purposely try and keep their money cheap in order to keep cheap Chinese labour for the rest of the world. They build entire cities with no one living in them. They are all about image.

The government is also very paranoid of losing their communism. They've implemented a credit score where if you are deemed a "threat" you cannot take out loans, have high speed internet, etc. They've tried to force Hong Kong to "become more Chinese". They heavily monitor the internet. I know a couple of Chinese here in Canada who listens to Chinese radio and the propaganda machine is very much a thing. It's a scary place and it's getting even more scary as time progresses as the government becomes more and more oppressive.

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

It's weird...those moments...I get it.  I have them too and they crash over me and create a volcano of "OMG what if's?". 

I take a veggie/produce bag and use it (I'm all out of wipes/gloves)....but I don't throw it in the parking lot as I see other discarded protection items....it goes straight into the trash on the outside of the store.  Environmentally not so great...but I get comfort.  I also sanitize my debit card...have a ziploc that I put it straight into in the car.  Keys too when I'm done.  It's a lot, so I try not to have to go out or do this stuff.

If I forget and am not in full blown anxiety mode, I sanitize and go straight home to wash.  I always take my shoes off outside (been doing so for years) and change downstairs into clean clothes.  Since a deadly rabbit virus was circulating, this has been my routine so I'm fairly well seasoned with this stuff.  Just more of the same.

if you have any regular household bleach you can make your own sanitizing solution really easily - the correct proportions are here: https://www.cdc.gov/disasters/bleach.html

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Sadly that's your view and my own.  Not apparently theirs.

A population approaching 2 billion in a nation that has deemed its people expendable since the 50s.  

If they can continue production, keep their GDP rolling they can stand to gain much in the world after this 

i'm not sure i buy this

unless you attach some intention or plan to the virus infection originating in china

and then spreading globally

that does not seem to be what happened

what does seem to have happened

is this virus originated in a wuhan open market

and once is became noticed in the local population

chinese authorities tried to contain information about this problem

and maintain a position of denial

they also then turned to a position of containment of the virus

but that pivot was too late as the virus already got out

despite this china persisted on the path of containment

and appeared to actually achieve this outcome in a small geographic area of the country

so world ended up dealing with the virus going through their populations

and china has not .. except for a small sector of their country

and i'm curious about their plan

to deal with this situation, that almost their entire population is still vulnerable to the virus

i can only see waiting for an effective vaccine as their option

25 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Correct - it's happening no matter what he says. 

Stupid people will still be stupid - no matter what Trump does.

But it's worse than it could have been....because of the things he said and did....:unsure:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i'm not sure i buy this

unless you attach some intention or plan to the virus infection originating in china

and then spreading globally

that does not seem to be what happened

what does seem to have happened

is this virus originated in a wuhan open market

and once is became noticed in the local population

chinese authorities tried to contain information about this problem

and maintain a position of denial

they also then turned to a position of containment of the virus

but that pivot was too late as the virus already got out

despite this china persisted on the path of containment

and appeared to actually achieve this outcome in a small geographic area of the country

so world ended up dealing with the virus going through their populations

and china has not .. except for a small sector of their country

and i'm curious about their plan

to deal with this situation, that almost their entire population is still vulnerable to the virus

i can only see waiting for an effective vaccine as their option

It's only presumed that the virus originated in Wuhan open market. There were several months leading up to the announcement of the virus getting known to the public so we don't even know if that's the origin.

They "claim" containment. Whether it's actually contained or not is what's in question. Isolated probably did help, but given their population and how fast it's supposedly gone down, I think that's where the doubt comes from. Also, note that the virus was not just in Wuhan. It spread to every other province in the country to an extent (although it is possible some of those were contained right away). Given their history of lying, that's where the problem arises. Fact is, we don't know what is the actual truth with China because they don't typically tell us the truth with most things.

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 2