The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

South Korea is looking at criminal charges for these types of people: https://www.france24.com/en/20200303-south-korea-seeks-criminal-charges-against-christian-sect-over-coronavirus-spread

That would never happen in the US tho. 

5 minutes ago, Russ said:

Arrest, jail and charge all of them not just the pastor.  The damn people know whats going on, they shouldn't be left off the charges.

That's exactly it, there's no real repercussions to deter this kind of behavior from the sheep. Jail, substantial fines north of $10k should do the trick (yes, this is that serious), but this is the USA, with some clown at the helm, who thinks this will all miraculously go away.

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I personally could care less (well, except for the children that had no choice but go with their parent) about them getting sick.  Problem is, not only is there a good chance they'll just clog up all the hospital beds with their ignorant butts but infect a ton of other innocent people along the way.

I don't care about those who are going to church either, just everyone else they come into contact with in public spaces (Grocery stores, pharmacies etc...) It's the arrogance of these people that gets me.

1 minute ago, Chickenspear said:

That's exactly it, there's no real repercussions to deter this kind of behavior from the sheep. Jail, substantial fines north of $10k should do the trick (yes, this is that serious), but this is the USA, with some clown at the helm, who thinks this will all miraculously go away.

I don't care about those who are going to church either, just everyone else they come into contact with in public spaces (Grocery stores, pharmacies etc...) It's the arrogance of these people that gets me.

Exactly thats the problem, yea they arrest a leader but big whoop, thats not going to deter people until theres some sort of big fines that make it hit peoples pocket books to the point where "oh crap maybe this isn't worth it and we can just do this online like everyone else".  Haven't heard of any in Canada but I assume it would be like restaurants where they get fines etc but they need to fine the individuals too in my opinion.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Fan since 82 said:

I know this is probably not the right thread for this comment, but I wonder if in the end Trump uses this as a way to postpone the election? Can't really have primary's to find an opponent, and I all the people voting might go against social distancing. Just things I've been thinking about.

Wouldn’t doubt it at all. 

26 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Couple of very important things from today - Canada is investing in 8 of our companies to ramp up our own domestic production of PPE and ventilators, which I'm thrilled to see.

We also have a very coordinated effort between the feds and province for group buying of PPEs in the meantime so we can actually get orders filled. Competition for thee products is insane at the moment. 

Compare this to the US "leadership" - CBC reporting today that individual hospitals in the US are competing with each other for PPEs :shock: imagine VGH and Burnaby Hospital having to compete with each other to get supplies. 

1 hour ago, Fan since 82 said:

I know this is probably not the right thread for this comment, but I wonder if in the end Trump uses this as a way to postpone the election? Can't really have primary's to find an opponent, and I all the people voting might go against social distancing. Just things I've been thinking about.

If there are still is a legit state of emergency by November they should postpone the election.  Should be a definite date to postpone it to, but you can't expect citizens to go out and vote under the conditions we see right now.

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

If there are still is a legit state of emergency by November they should postpone the election.  Should be a definite date to postpone it to, but you can't expect citizens to go out and vote under the conditions we see right now.

why? they've held elections before in wartime and through other health crises. All they have to do is expand early voting stations so people can distance, or by mail if need be. 

1 hour ago, riffraff said:

Did it though?

or was it the final push after a lifetime of one of either or some of or all of:

cancer

obesity

asthma

various heart conditions

old age 

with a Covid chaser.

there are diluted numbers relative to this pandemic as recorded by health professionals over the globe.

People were living with those conditions before. Many cancers, heart conditions, obesity, old age and asthma are not lethal and are in fact very treatable (minus "old age" as it isn't a condition). Neither of those are contagious nor increasing in prevalence. By old age do you mean seniors? I think we all can agree that it isn't uncommon to be very healthy at ages of 60-75. It isn't outlandish to say that many of these people had another 10-20 years of life left. In addition, there are also very healthy people with no comorbidities getting sick and dying, or at least in critical condition requiring ventilators.

The long term effects of this virus are also unknown and not getting the respect it deserves imo. There is a good chance that this could cause long lasting damage to the respiratory tract. There are preliminary reports of lung scarring in young patients in Italy. We just don't know yet because we haven't had the opportunity for longitudinal observation of these patients.

Edited by I.Am.Ironman

2 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

People were living with those conditions before. Many cancers, heart conditions, obesity, old age and asthma are not lethal and are in fact very treatable. Neither of those are contagious nor increasing in prevalence. By old age do you mean seniors? I think we all can agree that it isn't uncommon to be very healthy at ages of 60-75. It isn't outlandish to say that many of these people had another 10-20 years of life left. In addition, there are also very healthy people with no comorbidities getting sick and dying, or at least in critical condition requiring ventilators.

The long term effects of this virus are also unknown and not getting the respect it deserves imo. There is a good chance that this could cause long lasting damage to the respiratory tract. There are preliminary reports of lung scarring in young patients in Italy. We just don't know yet because we haven't had the opportunity for longitudinal observation of these patients.

Agree with everything you say here but Covid still did not kill all of the people in the stay you provided.

9 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

One could argue his incompetence is for this reason. 

7 hours ago, samurai said:

And your special power is knowing the thoughts of 'everyone'.  

Oh my. What a great response.

I just wanna make sure everyone sees this amazing response.

735095CC-8052-4F5E-82D7-485909C554F5.gif

Edited by Me_

1 hour ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

"Fun Fact" is clearly an idiom so don't try to nit pick. You have been repeatedly downplaying this virus because the numbers aren't significant compared to other causes of death. "look how many people die from car accidents! 1.35million per year - that's 3700 per day!" - comments like that have an under tone of you trying to minimize covid, because if there is no minimizing in the comment there is no relevance to the conversation. The [FUN] fact that covid killed 3718 people yesterday just makes your comment look foolish and [even more] irrelevant.

I would even venture as to say his comments are quite “douchy”.

Edited by Me_

33 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

That was a good question and I'm not sure if Trudeau tap danced around it - what is to stop minimum wage workers from claiming these $2,000 benefits from the government? 

Are you saying people who don’t usually make $2,000/mo shouldn’t get $2,000/mo in this time of crisis?

9 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

How did COVID not kiill 3718 people yesterday? Those people were alive, contracted COVID, they are now dead.

As I said in my earlier post.  deaths should be considered as related to Covid as they are to other life threatening pre conditions.

that isn’t considering those living in harmful/life threatening atmospheric environments for their entire lives.  There are cities around the world that have advisory warnings on some days relative to air quality for people with respiratory related conditions and seniors.  Again, Covid is a final push in many but agreeably not all of deaths for these scenarios.

without getting too far into it going forward, health ministers and doctors need to have the most unbiased and clearest numbers in order to prepare for future pandemics.

so is it not important that cause of death be carefully qualified?

Edited by riffraff

37 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

That was a good question and I'm not sure if Trudeau tap danced around it - what is to stop minimum wage workers from claiming these $2,000 benefits from the government? 

is that really a big concern right now?  Jesus christ

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, riffraff said:

Did it though?

or was it the final push after a lifetime of one of either or some of or all of:

cancer

obesity

asthma

various heart conditions

old age 

with a Covid chaser.

there are diluted numbers relative to this pandemic as recorded by health professionals over the globe.

If Patient one has cancer and Person two has a gun and kills patient one, the news won’t be “patient one died of cancer”.

The news will be “Patient one was murdered”

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1