The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

28 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

my daughter is out of the K-12 thing now, but I was wondering if there are any free online tools that can help you guys with delivering lessons? even things like Khan Academy, stuff like that? at least you could deliver a lesson plan maybe? 

Almost every online educational subscription website has offered free services through the next month (in some cases until June). A ton of stuff available - but it’s dependent on: do the kids have devices / WiFi at home. For middle-upper class, this time should be manageable for at-home learning. It’s the lower-end of the spectrum that will have so many struggles on their plate, that learning won’t be a priority.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

May as donate them to the general public to get SOME use out of them.

Nah, I think Trump hinted at what we should do with them when he accused hospitals across the country of selling medical supplies out the back door.  I guess when Illinois sells these surgical masks on the black market, we'll have enough money to procure our own N95 masks.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, skolozsy2 said:

Nah, I think Trump hinted at what we should do with them when he accused hospitals across the country of selling medical supplies out the back door.  I guess when Illinois sells these surgical masks on the black market, we'll have enough money to procure our own N95 masks.

Since we have time on our hands and conspiracy theories are fun, (as long as they're not taken too seriously) what if Bone Spurs is deliberately sabotaging efforts in Blue States? Maybe he thinks that much like the overall situation in the US makes him look bad, poor numbers for Democrat Governors and mayors will likewise make them look bad and just maybe result in down ballot support for the GOP in November....

Break out the tinfoil and discuss....

35 minutes ago, skolozsy2 said:

He sent surgical masks.  While great for surgery, they're rather ineffective against Covid19

its pretty scary how uncoordinated the purchasing effort is in the US - I feel for you guys. :(

It's weird how much of this pandemic (and likely future ones) originated....from an unregulated 'wet market'.  In a country where pretty much everything is conceptually regulated (eg., Communist).  Yet, the likelihood of the same happening here is far less (note, not saying impossible, only far less) because of regulation (markets are regulated & any ones trying to 'cross the line' inevitably have organizations like PETA after them).  Big government heh in the land of "capitalism".

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

my daughter is out of the K-12 thing now, but I was wondering if there are any free online tools that can help you guys with delivering lessons? even things like Khan Academy, stuff like that? at least you could deliver a lesson plan maybe? 

the districts will be providing the platforms for us to use, and many companies that produce educational materials have waived fees and lifted copyright restrictions in this crisis.  That said, there isn't going to be a whole lot of learning being done for awhile........I expect a lot of communication, maybe some journaling stuff that can help them express their emotions through all of this. 

We are very very cognizant of not placing the burden of being a homeschool teacher on parents right now, no one needs that stress.  We are mostly a point of contact right now, someone families can lean on for information etc.  The mental health of students and families is the only priority for a couple of weeks, at least.  Toward the end of April, HS students may start getting some more in depth learning opportunities, but elementary will likely be basic literacy and numeracy. 

I don't know for sure, but I think the rest of the school year will be a test run, a chance for us all to get commfortable with this in case of full roll out in September, which I am fully expecting.

• Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, Canadian said:

Almost every online educational subscription website has offered free services through the next month (in some cases until June). A ton of stuff available - but it’s dependent on: do the kids have devices / WiFi at home. For middle-upper class, this time should be manageable for at-home learning. It’s the lower-end of the spectrum that will have so many struggles on their plate, that learning won’t be a priority.

a big part of our calls home will be to asses the access to wifi and devices for each family.

the trump hate on here is comical...The Baffoons south of the border voted this guy in, that is 110% their own fault! They can change that this fall... The spewing of hatred of Trump is not needed on here, there is another area for it.

All I have to say about Trump and his handling of this is....Are you &^@#ing surprised!?!? 

• Vintage 1