The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

3 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Which leader are you supporting? The one who increased the carbon tax at a time of crisis? The one who's health minister said this was low risk? The one who has run out of emergency supplies? 

Not defending Trump but we haven't done the best job either. Btw aren't the US testing far more people? I have no doubt there is more cases in Canada they're just not testing as many people. 

No we're testing at a much higher rate, per capita we are testing as many as S.Korea is now. 

We're learning some hard lessons on the whole just-in-time philosophy of hospital supply. Its not like people didn't know this was possible either. 

There is a new study out of Winnipeg today that you can re-process N95 masks at least 10 times in an autoclave (https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-researchers-answer-shortage-n95-masks-1.5518226). This is pretty big deal, and something hospitals should be able to handle since all elective surgeries are stopped and the sterilization departments shouldn't be overburdened. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Hey kiddo are the US testing far more people? You quoted it but didn't respond. Give your head a slap like I'm sure many people have to you.:picard:

You would hope so, since they have far more people....

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

11 hours ago, samurai said:

Yeah for sure, what 'some' medical experts are now saying and thus backtracking is 'well why not, perhaps it helps a bit, but I don't really know anymore.'   I live in Japan and overwhelming most people don't wear them properly, and on top of that they end up touching their face a lot more as well.  I think they turn into germ farms pretty quick.   I see lots of people take them off when eating and leave them on tables and so forth so on that point as well they can be detrimental to health.  

From what I've been reading, the pendulum has been swinging back and forth quite a bit and now it's more or less in favor of masks, although it seems to be a bit more of a "can't hurt" endorsement rather than a "you must do this" imperative.

I think the important thing to bear in mind is that masks are far more important to healthcare professionals than the average citizen and until we can say that the medical community has all they need, the rest of us should probably forgo the use of masks, unless they happen to be Covid-19 positive, or at high risk for infection.

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Which leader are you supporting? The one who increased the carbon tax at a time of crisis? The one who's health minister said this was low risk? The one who has run out of emergency supplies? 

Not defending Trump but we haven't done the best job either. Btw aren't the US testing far more people? I have no doubt there is more cases in Canada they're just not testing as many people. 

I'm not Canadian, I haven't been following Trudeau's handling of the crises all that closely so it's hard to answer on who did or is doing a better job with any certainty. 

As to who I support...well I would have to say I admire the way South Korea has handled it.  Both them and the US had their first cases on the same day.  It wasn't too long later that South Korea was enforcing social distancing and engaging in mass testing.  They were doing 10,000 tests a day before the US had even tested 10,000 total.  I think today's current number of cases in each country is a solid reflection as to the difference in each countries early responses as well as each leader's initial demeanor on the crises.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, TU90 said:

So.. masks don't protect you very well, got it.

But.. they do somewhat prevent you from spreading it.

So.. if everyone wore masks, wouldn't that be the ultimate protection?

I'm confused.

Because there are 8 billion people on the planet. If every person only uses one mask a day that would be approx. 250 billion masks in a month. I imagine that would be quite an uptick in production.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, skolozsy2 said:

Well, one country's leader enforced social distancing and mass testing almost immediately...

....while the other country's leader tried to pray the virus away after weeks of ignoring it. 

Now here we are months later....one leader can boast about low infection rates, while the other leader can only brag about how high his ratings are.

When this outbreak began, I was constantly tuning in to Trump's pressers for information, now I just tune in occasionally, and that's just for a laugh.  The governors pressers are where the real info comes from.

I've watched a few of them and it's completely predictable....

Someone asks him if he maybe should have reacted sooner and he goes on about how he cut travel off from China, when "everyone was against the idea"......He falls back on this so often, you'd almost believe it had been successful....:rolleyes:

BTW: I've mentioned this before and it bears repeating....We all know that Trump lies about everything, but one of the many fact checkers who have been following Trump since his election discovered a sure fire way to know that he's lying about something. It involves the word "Sir". When Trump claims that someone said something to him, like "Sir, we have to thank you for the great job you did!" etc, etc....

That word, "sir" is a dead giveaway that the conversation never happened, other than in what passes for Bone Spurs' mind...

• Cheers 2

8 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

He's so right though. North America just waited for this to set in.

Its like we just kept hiding the reality, until it inevitably forced itself upon us in a much more draconian way. 

he makes an interesting point - both S. Korea and the US had its first confirmed cases on the same day on Jan 19th. Canada's was Jan 20th according to the PHAC web site. 

we're doing better than the US in many areas, including serious case rates and death rates. Its really hard to compare the US and Canada on raw numbers but the rates should be similar given how similar our populations are, but they're not.

Outside of U30s in Quebec pushing up our numbers so far we're doing OK.

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Hey kiddo are the US testing far more people? You quoted it but didn't respond. Give your head a slap like I'm sure many people have to you.:picard:

Came back and see you still demean people by calling them children when you don't like what they said. Good times. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

anyone at all ?

know why WHO stats are now being played with

there is no longer steady reporting

last night stat tracker re set early again

and there has basically been very minimal reporting in the past 13 hours ?

are government agencies interfering with reporting ? (holding back numbers until later each day?)
why is the tracking / reporting changing ?

people are going to lose confidence in this as a reporting source

if they keep manipulating things

seems odd that a large number of ontario new deaths were posted right after the clock re set yesterday and are on today's stats rather then yesterday

but very little else released from canada today as well

Edited by coastal.view

1 minute ago, inane said:

Came back and see you still demean people by calling them children when you don't like what they said. Good times. 

Ya cause he was ignorant to me but you agree with him so who cares. Ever understand what I don't care what you have to say?

• Wat 1

3 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

anyone at all ?

are government agencies interfering with reporting ? (holding back numbers until later each day?)

Things change hourly. So I'm not surprised it's lagging behind. Especially if days like to today when things start to spike. 

Start to worry if the stats go down. 

4 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

anyone at all ?

they could be working on the issue of lag time between when a case is conformed with a test vs when the person felt sick - BC CDC corrected this in their reporting as well. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

Things change hourly. So I'm not surprised it's lagging behind. Especially if days like to today when things start to spike. 

Start to worry if the stats go down. 

until a day or 2 ago

there has been steady reporting throughout the day

that is changing now

particularly usa numbers

re setting the clock early 2 days recently has nothing to do with lagging behind

someone is interfering with the 24 hour reporting clock

just wondering what is going on and why

3 minutes ago, riffraff said:

How many days and not one word from cbc news on how to be healthy, to stop smoking, to eat better, to drink less, to exercise more.

never was never will.

is that something people need to be reminded of anymore?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

No we're testing at a much higher rate, per capita we are testing as many as S.Korea is now. 

We're learning some hard lessons on the whole just-in-time philosophy of hospital supply. Its not like people didn't know this was possible either. 

There is a new study out of Winnipeg today that you can re-process N95 masks at least 10 times in an autoclave (https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-researchers-answer-shortage-n95-masks-1.5518226). This is pretty big deal, and something hospitals should be able to handle since all elective surgeries are stopped and the sterilization departments shouldn't be overburdened. 

Thanks.

23 minutes ago, Canorth said:

You would hope so, since they have far more people....

I wanted the per capita comparison. 

21 minutes ago, skolozsy2 said:

I'm not Canadian, I haven't been following Trudeau's handling of the crises all that closely so it's hard to answer on who did or is doing a better job with any certainty. 

As to who I support...well I would have to say I admire the way South Korea has handled it.  Both them and the US had their first cases on the same day.  It wasn't too long later that South Korea was enforcing social distancing and engaging in mass testing.  They were doing 10,000 tests a day before the US had even tested 10,000 total.  I think today's current number of cases in each country is a solid reflection as to the difference in each countries early responses as well as each leader's initial demeanor on the crises.

I was wondering which leader you were referring to?

16 minutes ago, Brad Marchand said:

As of yesterday, Canada has tested 256,933 people while the United States has tested 1,149,960. Per capita, Canada has tested about 6,780 people per million while the US has tested about 3,749 people per million. 

Canada testing source: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection.html
US testing source: https://covidtracking.com/data/us-daily/

Thank you. It was staunch Trump haters that told me the us was testing more people. Thanks for the info.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1