The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

Thank you. It was staunch Trump haters that told me the us was testing more people. Thanks for the info.

:lol:

....and it was the staunch Trudeau hater that was hoping for the opposite.....am I doing this right? :rolleyes:

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

is that something people need to be reminded of anymore?

Absolutely 100% sadly and obviously.

we see it here in this forum:

”I’ve been smashing bags of chips and liquor while watching Netflix all day er day.”  Literally flaunting it.  Meanwhile screaming for social distancing.

people need to to take responsibility for their own health.

Edited by riffraff
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, riffraff said:

How many days and not one word from cbc news on how to be healthy, to stop smoking, to eat better, to drink less, to exercise more.

never was never will.

I'm hoping they think that's just common knowledge by now.  But I agree...a focus on some positive things that we CAN do and control in a time where there's so much anxiety and feeling out of control would be welcome.

I certainly put the focus IMMEDIATELY there in a "how can I best protect myself" question....answer, by being as strong/fit as possible.  First thing in this line of thinking for me (as soon as I was off work) was cardio and making sure my lungs are in good shape.  Fresh air (workout on my deck), lots of water, healthy diet, breathing exercises, rest.  Funny but right before this all hit I was feeling the opposite...having been in to fitness most of my life, I felt very off and knew I needed to get outside on my bike, etc.  Spiralling downward and I NEEDED these things to reset.  Work was super stressful and, as a result, I was stopping to grab a bite on the way home then basically too exhausted to do anything after tending to my bunny (who needs meds at 2 hour intervals when I get home).

But in an overall feeling like you're doing something to combat the horrible scenario we're in....these things are a go to.  Great point.  It's important to feel like you can be in control of something...and health/fitness is exactly that.  Not just for the body, but for the mind.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, riffraff said:

”I’ve been smashing bags of chips and liquor while watching Netflix all day er day.”  Literally flaunting it.  Meanwhile screaming for social distancing.

i agree

hard to establish new reliable routines in this time of crisis

i still work

but my down time is completely messed up

and am way way more idle these days (there are no easy stimulating options besides sitting and watching)

so reminders are not a bad thing in my view

food has fallen a little into the entertainment category

and does provide some comfort for me these days

never viewed food this way before

8 minutes ago, riffraff said:

People also have responded in a "yeah I should stop" way that is likely being influenced by others and a positive reaction.  So the discussion is a good one to have and supporting one another...even with baby steps, important.

It can be a normal reaction to eat (stuff it down), drink (numbing), etc. when worry sets in.  But you really make a good point and it is a personal responsibility to react in a way that protects you as much as possible.  

Even in the sense that people who have preventable heart attacks/strokes will call on services that are needed elsewhere right now.  How it all ties together in a big picture way.

Great point of discussion, RR.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, stawns said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/covid-19-in-the-house-1.5515464

This is my cousin's best friend and his wife.  He's in ICU, but recovering.  My purpose here, though, is to highlight the wife because she doesn't have the "usual symptoms", but still is positive. 

Minus the pink eye, I've had the exact same symptoms for three weeks and chalked it up to a cold/flu because I wasn't coughing, didn't have a fever, no sneezing, but I'm pretty positive I've got the mild strain of it. 

Luckily I've been on spring break and haven't crossed paths with a single person but my gf.  We need to make sure we follow the social distancing/isolation recommendations because this virus has many different faces.  You might get it and not realize that's what it is and inadvertently pass it to others.

My sister just recently gave birth to a healthy baby girl. Leading up to the birth, she and her daughter have had a cough for 3 weeks and still have it. As a precaution before the c-section, they tested her for C19 and she was negative.

My nearly one year old son has had a cough and snotty nose for what seems like since December when we were in the Chilliwack area. We wonder if he's had it but he's not had any other symptoms. In turn, I would assume we all have it if he does as we've been staying home since March 17th. I'm the only one who runs errands. We all also had a norovirus on the first day I worked from home. Started with my daughter, then me, then my wife while the baby had very minor symptoms compared to me who had it the worst (I nearly filled my pants while vomiting haha).

This is why it's important to avoid close contact with people outside your home as we just don't know yet. Every cough, runny nose and sore throat is immediately assumed to be C19 even though all the other flus, colds, viruses, etc. are still out there and people are still catching them. Seasonal allergies are prevalent too which have the appearance of a cold.

Edited by RonMexico
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

My sister just recently gave birth to a healthy baby girl. Leading up to the birth, she and her daughter have had a cough for 3 weeks and still have it. As a precaution before the c-section, they tested her for C19 and she was negative.

My nearly one year old son has had a cough and snotty nose for what seems like since December when we were in the Chilliwack area. We wonder if he's had it but he's not had any other symptoms. In turn, I would assume we all have it if he does as we've been staying home since March 17th. I'm the only one who runs errands. We all also had a norovirus on the first day I worked from home. Started with my daughter, then me, then my wife while the baby had very minor symptoms compared to me who had it the worst (I nearly filled my pants while vomiting haha).

This is why it's important to avoid close contact with people outside your home as we just don't know yet. Every cough, runny nose and sore throat is immediately assumed to be C19 even though all the other flus, colds, viruses, etc. are still out there and people are still catching them. Seasonal allergies are prevalent too which have the appearance of a cold.

Not to mention it's spring. So allergy season is coming into full bore. 

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Why would I want the US to do a better job if I live here? 

Considering the amount of traffic/trade/etc., between our two countries, the answer is obvious.  If the **** really hits the fan there, we'll smell the **** all the way across the border up to Whitehorse.

• Cheers 1