Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak


CBH1926

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Canada Hockey Place said:

I just want to say our neighbours suck. The US is a nation of selfishness. And this pandemic has shown how different they are from other countries of the world. 

 

At the best of times they bully Canada on trade. During a pandemic, they react too slowly and THEY send troops to the border? And are now cutting off equipment made in the US. 

 

With friends like that who needs enemies?

 

 

 

I agree, problem is Canada relies to heavily on the US and China. Be awesome if we started to be more independent. Sure, it would cost us more, things would last longer, we would be more self sufficient. We have so much land we could grow our own veggies etc all year round. Would cost more to heat the facilities but we would be self sufficient, while also teaching and employing people how to farm and do productive useful things in life. Instead of serving gross hamburgers for $15/hr which I think is far too much considering what you are getting quality wise and how useless those employees are.

  • Hydration 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Canada Hockey Place said:

I just want to say our neighbours suck. The US is a nation of selfishness. And this pandemic has shown how different they are from other countries of the world. 

 

At the best of times they bully Canada on trade. During a pandemic, they react too slowly and THEY send troops to the border? And are now cutting off equipment made in the US. 

 

With friends like that who needs enemies?

 

 

 

Give it about ten years tops when Donald gets his dictatorship. They'll roll over us. 

  • Wat 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Pickly said:

Which is?

I just outlined the biggest part of it. People need to stop the race to the bottom.

 

Buy less, low quality, foreign made crap. Yeah you have less 'stuff', but  you do have higher quality, domestically made (or grown) things/food.

 

North Americans especially (though 'Western' society in general) have been trained to think more stuff = better/happier you. When in reality, the opposite is more often the case. We've allowed ourselves to been tricked in to a consumer/disposable culture and it's accompanying race to the bottom. This effects everything from job numbers to quality and pay to health, the environment , our mental well being, etc etc.

 

This is a bigger subject than any short post will do justice to (and likely not entirely appropriate to a Covid thread) but the way we currently live is our own fault and our own downfall.

 

There's only one way out of it.

  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Me_ said:

Personally, I think there is a risk that 20% of the world population won’t make it.

Huh?

 

This is ridiculous and based on nothing.

 

Even worse, it is fear mongering imo.   :picard:

 

Italy got hammered and it is 12%. 

 

Give me a break...:frantic:

 

Edit; In reality even in Italy, their mortality rate will be much lower than 12% because that number is based on people who actually tested positive for covid. There would be many other people that had it and recovered with minor or no symptoms thereby lowering their actuality mortality rate.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Huh?

 

This is ridiculous and based on nothing.

 

Even worse, it is fear mongering imo.   :picard:

 

Italy got hammered and it is 5%. 

 

Give me a break...:frantic:

Nah man.

Italy is GETTING hammered.

 

The peak doesn’t mean the end. It means the assumed highest amount. Until proven otherwise. And that does not include a comeback. 

Edited by Me_
  • Wat 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

I just outlined the biggest part of it. People need to stop the race to the bottom.

 

Buy less, low quality, foreign made crap. Yeah you have less 'stuff', but  you do have higher quality, domestically made (or grown) things/food.

 

North Americans especially (though 'Western' society in general) have been trained to think more stuff = better/happier you. When in reality, the opposite is more often the case. We've allowed ourselves to been tricked in to a consumer/disposable culture and it's accompanying race to the bottom. This effects everything from job numbers to quality and pay to health, the environment , our mental well being, etc etc.

 

This is a bigger subject than any short post will do justice to (and likely not entirely appropriate to a Covid thread) but the way we currently live is our own fault and our own downfall.

 

There's only one way out of it.

The reality is many people struggle to make ends meet and already live a minimalist lifestyle not by choice. If you can spend 30% less in groceries by shopping at Walmart if you are strapped for money you are gonna do it. Shopping local and buying Canadian is a nice proposal but unrealistic if you don't have the means to do so which like I stated at least 50% of Canadians. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

16 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Nah man.

Italy is GETTING hammered.

 

The peak doesn’t mean the end. It means the assumed highest amount. Until proven otherwise. And that does not include a comeback. 

You can go ahead and panic and freak out about made up numbers like a 20% mortality rate based on nothing.

 

But try not to fear monger online so other gullible dummies don't actually believe there is a mortality rate of 20% even though many experts have said it is anywhere from 1% to 3%.  In Canada so far the mortality rate for covid is 1.47% based on the numbers. But in reality it is much lower because that mortality rate is based on persons that tested positive for covid while in reality many other people have actually had it and recovered with little to no symptoms.

 

So just stop with your crap saying you think 20% of the world will die.  Good god....:picard:

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the race to the bottom for price, mostly. But we are going to need a lot of investment stimulus when this thing is over, and we need to put billions into our own heath product capacity, thats pretty clear. 

 

the US is also very dependent on Canada for a lot of things, something I'm sure that a**hole is being reminded of. Ordering 3M to cut off Canada just infuriates me, Freeland must be close to having a stroke. I do think she'll be able to navigate us through this but I might take up religion and start praying for Trump to have a heart attack. 

 

 

Strategic reserves were supposed to be established after SARs. The Germans and French cut off ventilator shipments to Italy weeks ago. You can imagine the rage if JT shipped a bunch of ventilators to China. Just demonstrates that countries will take care of their own when required. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

Malaysia government tells women not to nag husbands amid coronvirus lockdown

Malaysia’s government has sparked outrage by telling women to avoid nagging their hubbies during the coronavirus lockdown.

 

A series of online posters with the hashtag #WomenPreventCOVID19 told residents how to behave while stuck at home — urging women to dress up nicely and wear makeup.

Wives were also told to avoid nagging their husbands — and to instead lighten the mood by mimicking the high-pitched voice of Doraemon, a blue anime robot cat popular across Asia.

Another poster depicts a man sitting on a sofa, telling women to refrain from being “sarcastic” if they need help with household chores.

 

The poster — uploaded on Facebook and Instagram — sparked outrage among women’s rights groups already alarmed at a domestic violence problem in the country.

“These posters promote the concept of gender inequality and perpetuate the concept of patriarchy,” said Nisha Sabanayagam, a manager at All Women’s Action Society, calling them “extremely condescending.”

 

“How did we go from preventing baby dumping, fighting domestic violence to some sad variant of the Obedient Wives Club?” Twitter user @yinshaoloong wrote.

Malaysia’s women’s affairs ministry eventually apologized for the outrage sparked.

 

“We apologize if some of the tips we shared were inappropriate and touched on the sensitivities of some parties,” the ministry’s women’s development department said in a statement.

Women’s groups have warned that lockdowns could see a rise in domestic violence, with women trapped with their abusers. Some governments have stepped up response, including in France, which offers hotel rooms to victims.

 

Malaysia is ranked 104th out of 153 countries in the latest World Economic Forum’s Global Gender Gap index, after scoring poorly on political empowerment and economic participation.

 

**************************

 

malaysia_custom-ad86c7b8893ca8a0535a40c5

 

The poster i question. :lol:

 

I just bought myself a Malaysian wife on Amazon after reading this. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Pickly said:

The reality is many people struggle to make ends meet and already live a minimalist lifestyle not by choice. If you can spend 30% less in groceries by shopping at Walmart if you are strapped for money you are gonna do it. Shopping local and buying Canadian is a nice proposal but unrealistic if you don't have the means to do so which like I stated at least 50% of Canadians. 

And like I said, there's only one way out of it.

 

And no, this isn't 50% of Canadians. There's certainly some lower income folk struggling to get by, truly scraping by week to week and living a very minimalist existence (not by choice). There's a LOT of people driving around in leased vehicles (that would normally be beyond their means), taking multiple vacations a year with the latest iphone, picking up their daily Starbucks, 'spoiling' their kids with disposable crap from dollar stores who claim to be living paycheque to paycheque who are largely just making poor purchasing decisions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • -SN- locked and unlocked this topic
  • -SN- featured and pinned this topic
  • -SN- unfeatured this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...