The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

You can go outside whenever you want, people who actually stay inside are crazy imo. Fresh air is such a great thing during this crap!

It was a play on the words of Jim Morra (the guy in the meme). His words were "Playoffs???" "I just hope we can win a game".

Don't worry I go out for the occasional walk. :)

29 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Any wish for pro sports to resume this year’s season isn’t at all realistic.

I say mid-September training camp is the earliest we see live hockey.

The question is what kind of extreme measures is the NHL willing to go to in order to continue the season.

Are they willing to play in front of no fans? Are they willing to play in neutral sites in a smaller group of cities? How much are they willing to condense the schedule?

Until these questions are answered it’s pointless speculating. I would look to see what the NBA is doing. No doubt Bettman will follow their lead.

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

I think we may have seen our last NHL game ever. That goes above and beyond social distancing. 

theres no reason to think that, at all. We need to keep things in perspective here. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

39 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

So even if the playoffs resume before then the Flames won't be playing home games, that could be a crack in the NHL's hopes of continuing the season. 

The most realistic plan has always been to play playoffs in July and August so that doesn’t really change anything.

3 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I think we may have seen our last NHL game ever. That goes above and beyond social distancing. 

Lol enough with the hyperboles.

Did the world stop functioning after the Spanish Flu?

Lets tone down the paranoia people.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

government should regulate and tax. period. Let the companies come and go naturally. 

Best way I have heard this thought expressed is it's like when the forest burns. It's ugly but necessary. Old weak trees have to burn so that young strong ones can grow.

If you keep propping up and bailing out the weak and stupid eventually you'll end up with what we had in 2008. And of course instead of letting the weak and diseased companies die they propped them up with mountains of debt. They'll have to deal with that mess eventually.

Look at Japan they have been propping up the weak and operating a zombie economy for 30 years. When that mess (forest) eventually burns you'll be able to see the flames from this side of the Pacific.

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Lol enough with the hyperboles.

Did the world stop functioning after the Spanish Flu?

Lets tone down the paranoia people.

I don’t know what’s worse, the virus itself or these fear mongering paranoids only looking for worst case scenarios. 

Edited by Pears
typo
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

YUP, no more sports ever .....all the football, basketball and hockey players young and old need to work at burger king now

11 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Best way I have heard this thought expressed is it's like when the forest burns. It's ugly but necessary. Old weak trees have to burn so that young strong ones can grow.

If you keep propping up and bailing out the weak and stupid eventually you'll end up with what we had in 2008. And of course instead of letting the weak and diseased companies die they propped them up with mountains of debt. They'll have to deal with that mess eventually.

Look at Japan they have been propping up the weak and operating a zombie economy for 30 years. When that mess (forest) eventually burns you'll be able to see the flames from this side of the Pacific.

its true. Again, regulation and taxation are all the tools you need. Even for incentivizing new industries - just let them begin with tax breaks. Its not like you're losing anything that way, the taxes weren't there anyway.

I still believe strongly in R&D funding as there's no other way for new ideas but thats not the same thing as corporate welfare.