The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 minute ago, Me_ said:

Unfortunately, Murikaw’s got the bigger d!ck.

and it will be stationed not 30 miles from our border.

They can just come in and “secure supply lines” on a whim.

And who would come to our defence?

No one.

For sure. While there are plenty of good hearted Americans out there, their government is as evil and insidious as it gets. 

• Cheers 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Me_ said:

Hey if we are no longer getting masks from our pulp I guess it is no longer an essential service. Shut it down. :ph34r:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Me_ said:

That’s a little hyperbolic of a scenario.  As is shutting off water etc. 

There wouldn’t be a conflict between the two largest trading partners and founding members of NATO

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

we were supposed to be in that category. I could certainly see this being the end of the EU, I mean why bother with it if its every one for themselves when the $&!# hits the fan?

But the bright side of all this is hopefully it injects stimulus spending into our medical device manufacturing sector. And many others too. We have all the skills and tools to be self-sufficient in these things, just haven't had the political will to invest in them. 

One might ask what is a national security priority in Canada? Not like SARs wasn't a wake up call. I see the 10 year bond yield in the USA dropped below Canada's. I don't think I have ever seen that before. At some point Canada will not be able to finance the debt. I suspect rating agencies will be re-evaluating both government and corporate debt in Canada. How much of Canadian GDP will be in the hands of government by the time this virus passes? 

If Canada had any illusions about what the Americans were capable of then NAFTA 2.0 should have woke them up. If it wasn't Trump playing hardball it would be another POTUS. Nixon and LBJ come to mind. They needed us a lot more back then, not so much now. Truly I think there is a significant geopolitical realignment going on here. I think the Americans are aware of the world debt problem and are positioning themselves to come out the other end. To them this is just as much a national security issue as any threat the Russians or Chinese present. I have said many times I do not expect Canada to survive as constituted.   

3 hours ago, Me_ said:

If we’re both still alive by that time.

Settle down princess. Don't be a donkey - stay home...wash your hands. You will be fine in all likelihood.

But continue to panic if you wish...

I choose to use actual evidence to understand what is happening and what will occur while I continue to work each day as an emergency services worker.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Capitalism the way it was intended is a great system. Capitalism with the taxpayer as a backstop is complete and utter bullsh**. Capitalism says the price you pay for bad decision making is ultimately bankruptcy. If you remove that from the equation you create a situation of "heads I win, tails you lose". Then there is no deterrent to unbridled greed. Nothing to keep it in check. When it is allowed to run wild it is an ugly thing indeed.

Agreed.

Capitalism as per its definition has not really ever existed in Canada and the USA has it?

Year after year after year we see the Canadian government give poorly run corporations like GM or Air Canada (or many many others) huge amounts to citizens money (taxes collected by government) to keep these crap companies afloat. 

Pathetic really.

36 minutes ago, Me_ said:

They can just come in and “secure supply lines” on a whim.

And who would come to our defence?

No one.

Thank god intelligent well spoken Canadians will be dealing with the US and that donkey trump and not some schlub screaming we are all gonna die and we should make stupid hasty decision in how to deal with the great orange donkey.

Some on here want to stamp their feet and say we are gonna never deal with the US again. The actual intelligent Canadians convince the actual decision makers in the US that  trump's decisions are stupid and his stupid decisions get overturned the next day (like dumpy trump saying he would put soldiers at the Canadian border...didn't happen did it?).

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Agreed.

Capitalism as per its definition has not really ever existed in Canada and the USA has it?

Year after year after year we see the Canadian government give poorly run corporations like GM or Air Canada (or many many others) huge amounts to citizens money (taxes collected by government) to keep these crap companies afloat. 

Pathetic really.

Fwiw, AC has been doing very well as a company for a while now. This pandemic is crushing them, along with all airlines, because of the severity of shutting down basically their entire fleet. Show me an airline that is (excuse the pun) immune to such a situation. 

1 minute ago, Mackcanuck said:

The pulp to make those 3M N95 masks is from the employee owned Harmac Pulp Mill in Nanaimo on Vancouver Island

It is pulp made from BC Red Cedar Chips which are only available in quantity from BC

Has this been confirmed? If so, this is sadly hilarious. 

8 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

The pulp to make those 3M N95 masks that Trump is denying Canada,

Is from the employee owned Harmac Pulp Mill in Nanaimo on Vancouver Island

It is specialty pulp made from BC Red Cedar Chips which are only available in quantity from BC

Story here

https://www.vicnews.com/business/nanaimos-harmac-mill-works-to-fill-doubled-pulp-order-for-medical-masks-and-gowns/

Haha...that stupid orange turd trump has no idea that Canada, the one he told 3M to quit supplying masks to, are the ones that supply 3M with the pulp needed to make masks.

That is actually hilarious that trump is so damn stupid. One wonders how long americans will let that buffoon continue to make decisions that kills more and more of them from covid.

• Cheers 3

8 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Has this been confirmed? If so, this is sadly hilarious. 

4 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Sampson said the Harmac mill is the world’s only producer of the particular grade of paper pulp used in the manufacture of surgical masks and gowns and that the mill has been producing it since before he came to work there in 2008.

“It’s a customer out of the States and we’ve been supplying them for years, but in light of what’s going on in the lack of medical supplies, they’ve doubled their order with us in the last week, so we’re doing everything we can to meet that demand,” said Levi Sampson, Harmac president.

(Article is from March 24th)

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Fwiw, AC has been doing very well as a company for a while now. This pandemic is crushing them, along with all airlines, because of the severity of shutting down basically their entire fleet. Show me an airline that is (excuse the pun) immune to such a situation. 

I am not talking about right now. I am talking about the multiple times Canada has had to bail out Air Canada with our tax dollars.

7 hours ago, Me_ said:

It’s even worse than having the owner’s son play on your local Junior hockey team........Wayyyyyyyy worse.  

So hard to comprehend why more people don’t seem to realize this. 

Kushner is a deeply flawed individual and his decision making should begin and end at “honey, should I pick up milk on the way home”?

• Cheers 2