The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I don’t agree.

A vaccine doesn’t need to come first a treatment for it does. 

There are already approved drugs out there that are showing promise. Just have to identify the right one.

Treatment will probably come before vaccine, but they will still have to undergo lengthy clinical trials.  There's no shortcut out of this.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox.com/platform/amp/science-and-health/2020/3/4/21154590/coronavirus-vaccine-treatment-covid-19-drug-cure

• Cheers 2

It seems like BC is doing pretty well. I don’t think there is too much virus in our communities yet or we would be hearing about more outbreaks. Though I’ll be honest to say I don’t know which way this is going to go. I work for the railroad and I have to travel out of town for two weeks starting Sunday at this point I’m not too concerned but hopefully it doesn’t take a serious turn. 

3 minutes ago, High and Inside said:

It seems like BC is doing pretty well. I don’t think there is too much virus in our communities yet or we would be hearing about more outbreaks. Though I’ll be honest to say I don’t know which way this is going to go. I work for the railroad and I have to travel out of town for two weeks starting Sunday at this point I’m not too concerned but hopefully it doesn’t take a serious turn. 

There's a lot more than we think there is, were just in the early stages.  I'm also hopeful we have a milder strain hitting our province.  As I said earlier, I'm pretty much sure I have it, and though it's lingering a long time (3 weeks), it's mild relative to many of the cases we hear about.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

There's a lot more than we think there is, were just in the early stages.  I'm also hopeful we have a milder strain hitting our province.  As I said earlier, I'm pretty much sure I have it, and though it's lingering a long time (3 weeks), it's mild relative to many of the cases we hear about.

There are other coronavirus circulating right now like they do every year

• Thanks 1

Part of me is wondering if there are just too many humans on earth and this pandemic was bound to happen sooner or later? 

As much as we try to reduce our environmental impact, our mass numbers are just so damaging on the environment around us. 

Perhaps we will need some form of global population control? 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, samurai said:

watch the first 2 plus minutes of this

His comments on the COVID 19 pandemic caused criticism from German scientists. Various German media examined Wodarg's claims for accuracy and concluded that his statements would largely contradict the verifiable facts, some statements were neither refutable nor verifiable, but on closer examination proved to be misleading. It would mix up facts that had nothing to do with each other.

4 minutes ago, NHL'er said:

Part of me is wondering if there are just too many humans on earth and this pandemic was bound to happen sooner or later? 

As much as we try to reduce our environmental impact, our mass numbers are just so damaging on the environment around us. 

Perhaps we will need some form of global population control? 

Unsustainable.

Wolf and the Deer will danse in balance.

17 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

And the Wolf will tear the Deer’s throat out. 

Until there’s not enough deer for all the wolves.

The wolves reduce in population the deer increase.

The  wolves increase in population the deer decrease.

Life in balance.

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, Me_ said:

His comments on the COVID 19 pandemic caused criticism from German scientists. Various German media examined Wodarg's claims for accuracy and concluded that his statements would largely contradict the verifiable facts, some statements were neither refutable nor verifiable, but on closer examination proved to be misleading. It would mix up facts that had nothing to do with each other.

perhaps, but the point that coronaviruses are part of the yearly flu cycle are well documented and his not stating anything controversial. 

17 minutes ago, samurai said:

perhaps, but the point that coronaviruses are part of the yearly flu cycle are well documented and his not stating anything controversial. 

Coronaviruses are named for the crown-like spikes on their surface. There are four main sub-groupings of coronaviruses, known as alpha, beta, gamma, and delta.

Human coronaviruses were first identified in the mid-1960s. The seven coronaviruses that can infect people are:

Common human coronaviruses

1. 229E (alpha coronavirus)
  2. NL63 (alpha coronavirus)
  3. OC43 (beta coronavirus)
  4. HKU1 (beta coronavirus)

Other human coronaviruses

1. MERS-CoV (the beta coronavirus that causes Middle East Respiratory Syndrome, or MERS)
  2. SARS-CoV (the beta coronavirus that causes severe acute respiratory syndrome, or SARS)
  3. SARS-CoV-2 (the novel coronavirus that causes coronavirus disease 2019, or COVID-19)

People around the world commonly get infected with human coronaviruses 229E, NL63, OC43, and HKU1.

Sometimes coronaviruses that infect animals can evolve and make people sick and become a new human coronavirus. Three recent examples of this are 2019-nCoV, SARS-CoV, and MERS-CoV.

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Me_ said:

Yeah. 
Except this particular one is deadlier and faster spreading than the other 40 strands that don’t affect us.

Many experts believe that it is very fast spreading as you say but not as fatal as other corona like SARS.