The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

20 hours ago, Jester13 said:

I think part of the issue with your posts is that you don't clearly state your position, same as @samurai, even tho others have asked many times what your position(s) are. Then you read my post, which clearly states my position, and you cherry pick one part and reassert your unclear stance over top of it. 

If you think governments are overreacting then say so. But posting a 47 page paper and telling people it's all in there, well, what's all in there? Say clearly what your stance is after reading the paper.

As I said before, governments could be overreacting, but equally so they could not be, or they could be reacting quite right. 

It seems to me like this is the crux of many of the debates in this thread, and we may just all have to agree to disagree on it and see how this plays out - from a safe distance, of course.

Edited by samurai

11 hours ago, riffraff said:

Um.  Well I have no qualifications.

i guess that’s why I made my statement and then supported said statement with countless scientific references and direct quotes made by those who are qualified.

so I’ll just assume you haven’t bothered to read any of it.

do you even read?

if you don’t I have also posted a video with Dr. bahkdi. I’d say he is qualified.

That is what I thought. You have no qualifications.

:picard:

31 minutes ago, samurai said:

Anything to say in response to my reply to your last video? I'm definitely not going to watch another 45min+ video and then reply if you're just going to post episode 3 tomorrow without anything else to say. 

Say what you want to say, and say it clearly.

Edited by Jester13

13 hours ago, spur1 said:

I watched a documentary last night called 1918 Spanish Flu historical documentary. (I would link but I have no idea how). Very interesting and had a lot of similarities to today. 
Anyways I asked my aunt today if my grandpa had ever talked about it as he was in the WW1 trenches at the time. Not sure who he was fighting with or for which side as he was Polish ( something to google and learn). 
She told me the only story he told about it was that when he got sick he thought he was done as there were few survivors so he drank a quart of motor oil to speed up the process and get it over with. Miraculously he survived. He swore up and down that the oil saved him instead of killing him. 
I can’t help but wonder if the oil was hemp oil as it was in common use at that time especially in that area. 
Whatever the case here I am. B)

The oil your Grandpa drank was probably a non detergent, almost mineral oil, product. I am just guessing but it was so early in the era that more toxic detergents hadn't been developed yet. 

You mentioned not knowing which side he might have fought with. I built my house in 1980 and my neighbors were a old Polish couple of German heritage. He was a fine gentleman with an inquisitive mind who loved to visit during construction. Spoke 6 languages and read German and Polish newspapers sent from the old country. He was gassed in WW I and his to be wife(German) nursed him back to health. A curiosity in the neighborhood was this couple lived next to another German family. They did not associate with one another as his wife was not considered acceptable as she came from a lower cast part of German society. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

That is what I thought. You have no qualifications.

:picard:

But yet you prove everyday you have the the qualifications?

Yeah to bitch about $&!# you have no clue about. 

Get your head out of your arse, I could dig up the crap you were writing two weeks ago. Ridiculous load of uneducated I'm a service worker load of crap that was,

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

It's just too difficult to say what your stance is in one or two sentences? Riffraff was finally able to.

No, not all (see). 

I also hadn't seen that you responded to the video earlier.   I don't think for example your comment regarding the correction rate shows you appreciate his main point.  Same with the 10,000 deaths comment.  With the latter, it is at the 35:00 mark.  He is given a hypothetical situation/question and explains how in that situation the virus could  pass as an undetected blimp.  In other words he offers up a hypothetical scenario for the hypothetical question and at the end of that exchange reminds the listener that is what he has done.  It is not a statement of fact as you treat it in your previous post. Same with the factor point. 

You say you side with the 'majority' of experts and the WHO.  Well, we have talked about this before.  What exactly is the majority position, and how do you know that this doctor isn't in line with it?    As this doctor points out approaches to this virus vary considerably from country to country.    I am not sure a majority position as you call it exists.  You have said our (riffraff) positions are unclear but you have parked yourself simply behind some so-called majority view without explaining what it is, and equally important without evidence that it exists.  You take it as a given and I am not sure you can do that. 

The other video by the way is worth the watch. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

@samurai, honestly, that latest video you posted is an absolute joke. 

- The outbreak is over in China, he claims.

- He thinks the pandemic would end in four weeks if we just protect the elderly and everything would go back to normal in no time. Crisis averted.

- This version of Corona is the same as all the others.

- If you let the disease run its course in the US they would experience 25,000 cases per day with a death rate of 2%, so 500 deaths a day for four weeks and then it's over. 

- There's no shortage of PPEs, it's all just hysteria.

And this is all in the first 9 mins 

- Staying indoors is keeping the virus healthy. Going outside is what makes everything better.

- Social distancing doesn't work.

Man, this is now in the realm of conspiracy theorists. 

Are you seriously believing all of this? 

Him over you any day - his credentials are stated.  didn't say I agree, some yes, but his points are interesting.  Once more a glance of your response shows you have twisted a number of things he as said. 

5 minutes ago, samurai said:

No, not all (see). 

I also hadn't seen that you responded to the video earlier.   I don't think for example your comment regarding the correction rate shows you appreciate his main point.  Same with the 10,000 deaths comment.  With the latter, it is at the 35:00 mark.  He is given a hypothetical situation/question and explains how in that situation the virus could  pass as an undetected blimp.  In other words he offers up a hypothetical scenario for the hypothetical question and at the end of that exchange reminds the listener that is what he has done.  It is not a statement of fact as you treat it in your previous post. Same with the factor point. 

You say you side with the 'majority' of experts and the WHO.  Well, we have talked about this before.  What exactly is the majority position, and how do you know that this doctor isn't in line with it?    As this doctor points out approaches to this virus vary considerably from country to country.    I am not sure a majority position as you call it exists.  You have said our (riffraff) positions are unclear but you have parked yourself simply behind some so-called majority view without explaining what it is, and equally important without evidence that it exists.  You take it as a given and I am not sure you can do that. 

The other video by the way is worth the watch. 

See, here you are again with a post that says nothing of what your point is in all of this.

I quite cleary previously stated that it seems like you and riffraff think global reactions are overreactions (same with the guy in the first video, which is what I addressed in the context of my post, which you are not addressing and instead skew my post to fit your counternarrative), and I side with the majority of medical professionals who think the reactions are warranted, even if they turn out to be overreactions, as it's better to be over than under. 

You're doing the same thing riffraff does and cherry picking parts of my post to fit your narrative rather than actually addressing my point, which I've highlighted again above 

1 minute ago, samurai said:

Him over you any day - his credentials are stated.  didn't say I agree, some yes, but his points are interesting.  Once more a glance of your response shows you have twisted a number of things he as said. 

Your appeal to authority with two examples of doctors who agree with your contrarian narrative is a fallacy. 

I haven't twisted anything: both those guys, plus riffraff, and you believe the global reaction is an overreaction because the science and data is flawed.

I think our science and data can always be better, but the current reaction is warranted because it's better to be safe than sorry.

If this in an incorrect interpretation of your stance then say so, and then please correct me on what your stance actually is, because it's still unclear. If you don't agree with these guys and merely find it interesting then say so, and maybe also say what your do believe. 

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I look forward to the day Canada grows some backbone. 

what? your idea of backbone is stopping us from helping innocent victims of the pandemic? some people need to die for you to feel patriotic? 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Upvote 2