The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

12 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

what? your idea of backbone is stopping us from helping innocent victims of the pandemic? some people need to die for you to feel patriotic? 

haha, nice way to spin it. I'd like for our health minister not to pander to some immigrant vote by supporting the shipment of our ppe elsewhere. 

2 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

haha, nice way to spin it. I'd like for our health minister not to pander to some immigrant vote by supporting the shipment of our ppe elsewhere. 

now there's some spin. We need to stop this thing, everywhere. 

• Cheers 1

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/120805778/coronavirus-to-swedes-its-the-rest-of-the-world-engaging-in-a-reckless-experiment

Sweden's current strategy - work from home if you're able, keep distance from people, but other than that business as usual. This on the advice of their experts who are as qualified as the Canadian experts. Be interesting to see how it works out for them. Not posting this to be controversial, but just showing other fully qualified people recommending a different course of action from the lockdown you're experiencing in Canada and I'm experiencing here in the UK.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Fan since 82 said:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/120805778/coronavirus-to-swedes-its-the-rest-of-the-world-engaging-in-a-reckless-experiment

Sweden's current strategy - work from home if you're able, keep distance from people, but other than that business as usual. This on the advice of their experts who are as qualified as the Canadian experts. Be interesting to see how it works out for them. Not posting this to be controversial, but just showing other fully qualified people recommending a different course of action from the lockdown you're experiencing in Canada and I'm experiencing here in the UK.

I know I've been keeping a close eye on Sweden to see how this pans out. Interesting that 75% support the strategy; I wonder how many of the 25% who don't have directly - freinds, family, self - been affected by the virus and whether that number will change as their numbers increase. 

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Fan since 82 said:

I read about it as well.  Much has to do with differences in culture, overall health of the population, pollution levels, adherence to the guidelines etc..

Don't think that would have worked in Italy.  

Employee at Richmond FreshCo has confirmed case of COVID-19
The employee last worked in the store Mar. 26

/ Richmond News

APRIL 4, 2020 09:35 PM

freshco no 3 and williams
An employee at the FreshCo at No. 3 and Williams roads in Richmond has tested positive for COVID-19, according to Sobeys corporate website.
Photograph By GOOGLE MAPS PHOTO

An employee at a Richmond grocery store is confirmed to have COVID-19.

The employee works at the FreshCo at 10153 No. 3 Road, at Williams Road, according to Sobeys corporate website, which lists locations across Canada where employees have tested positive for COVID-19.

The case was recorded on the website Mar. 28. According to the website, the employee last worked in the store Mar. 26.

“We will always do everything we can to support our teammates and ensure their safety,” reads the website.

“Where required, we will communicate with customers who have shopped in the impacted location, with store signage, outlining our steps to manage the situation. Out of an abundance of caution, with each case that is reported, we will deep clean and sanitize the store location.”

The Richmond FreshCo is one of two Sobeys Inc. stores in the Lower Mainland with an employee who has tested positive for the coronavirus.

The list also records a case at the Safeway at 990 West King Edward Ave in Vancouver, at Oak Street. That employee last worked in the store Mar. 31, when the case was also recorded on the website.

Sobeys Inc. owns a range of grocery stores across Canada, which include, among others, Sobeys, IGA and IGA extra, Safeway, Thrifty Foods and FreshCo.

According to the list, employees at stores in Quebec, Ontario, Alberta and Newfoundland and Labrador have also tested positive for COVID-19.

For all the latest COVID-19 news, click here.

1 minute ago, coho8888 said:

I read about it as well.  Much has to do with differences in culture, overall health of the population, pollution levels, adherence to the guidelines etc..

They're also already getting closer to adding even more restrictions than they have currently: https://www.dw.com/en/sweden-mulls-u-turn-on-coronavirus-restrictions/a-53020024

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

Just to add to your comment, the difference in culture absolutely plays into it as well. Places like Sweden, Japan, and in large sense, although not fully, Canada have more social cohesion to "do the right thing and act accordingly to keep people safe". However, then you look at other cultures where there's more of the "this is a hoax", "this is nothing to worry about", or "don't tell me how to act" type of mentality and you see the numbers skyrocket. 

However, again, not even Sweden has perfect cohesion (same with Canada), and we're starting to see tighter restrictions as it continues to get worse and worse. 

7 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

They're also already getting closer to adding even more restrictions than they have currently: https://www.dw.com/en/sweden-mulls-u-turn-on-coronavirus-restrictions/a-53020024

Yes perhaps hopeful thinking on their part. I just don't get how the economics of this are going to shake out. Billions of $$$$/££££ committed to helping people effected but who's going to pay for that? We are! Thousands of small and medium sized businesses going out of business, and millions of people now unemployed. Not trying to fear longer but just saying....

How long is the shutdown expected to last?  I'm hearing end of June or July as some schools are thinking of shutting down for the year.

Unfortunately the economy can't last in this situation.  At some point, the whole world will need to go back to work whether or not the pandemic is over.  The last thing the world needs is another Great Depression. 

5 minutes ago, BPA said:

How long is the shutdown expected to last?  I'm hearing end of June or July as some schools are thinking of shutting down for the year.

Unfortunately the economy can't last in this situation.  At some point, the whole world will need to go back to work whether or not the pandemic is over.  The last thing the world needs is another Great Depression. 

Once the peak is managed. Probably shut down until June. Open for July, August and maybe September, and then if it rears its ugly head again in the fall, back to shut down again (maybe), unless there are better healthcare systems in place by that time (ICUs better equipped; more healthcare professionals, etc.)

Edited by Canadian
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, BPA said:

Too late. 

4 minutes ago, BPA said:

Maybe I'm a bit naive, but the one thing that surprised me the most about this pandemic is just how sensitive the economy is to a large shutdown (and its only been less than a month).  Living paycheck to paycheck seems to be a reality for the majority of the canadian population.  A real wake up call to be sure.

It will be interesting to see just when and how things are going to go back to normal.  I think large gatherings like concerts, festivals and sporting events may be out of the question until a effective form of treatment or vaccine is discovered.  I participate in the Concord Pacific Dragon Boat Festival every year (should actually be training for it right about now) but I see that has been post-phoned to September.  I see restaurants opening up again in a few months but with tighter rules on cleanliness, social distancing etc..

14 minutes ago, Fan since 82 said:

Yes perhaps hopeful thinking on their part. I just don't get how the economics of this are going to shake out. Billions of $$$$/££££ committed to helping people effected but who's going to pay for that? We are! Thousands of small and medium sized businesses going out of business, and millions of people now unemployed. Not trying to fear longer but just saying....

13 minutes ago, BPA said:

7 minutes ago, Canadian said:

Once the peak is managed. Probably shut down until June. Open for July, August and maybe September, and then if it rears its ugly head again in the fall, back to shut down again (maybe), unless there are better healthcare systems in place by that time (ICUs better equipped; more healthcare professionals, etc.)

^Hopefully somewhere along the though of this.

It also depends a lot on our southern neighbours and how they do with this, and what strategy they may pivot to and how bad it gets at that point. As well as when a vaccine is approved. There are just so many unknowns still, which is why we just have to continue to be as safe as possible and adapt along the way.

• Vintage 1