The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 minute ago, coho8888 said:

Maybe I'm a bit naive, but the one thing that surprised me the most about this pandemic is just how sensitive the economy is to a large shutdown (and its only been less than a month).  Living paycheck to paycheck seems to be a reality for the majority of the canadian population.  A real wake up call to be sure.

It will be interesting to see just when and how things are going to go back to normal.  I think large gatherings like concerts, festivals and sporting events may be out of the question until a effective form of treatment or vaccine is discovered.  I participate in the Concord Pacific Dragon Boat Festival every year (should actually be training for it right about now) but I see that has been post-phoned to September.  I see restaurants opening up again in a few months but with tighter rules on cleanliness, social distancing etc..

The problem for restaurants is, they already have one of the lowest profit margins/cashflow of any business; with expensive fixed costs. Even being shut for one month, means possibly not being able to re-open, so 3-4 months, and it’ll only be big chains that might be able to re-open. Even some of those big chains may go under without some sort of government intervention/relief. It’s going to be tough for quite a while after we come out the other end of all this

1 hour ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

How are those Chinese numbers holding up now? Still 2%? Ya, keep towing that line 'child'. 

you seem to like putting out sensationalistic info and fake numbers. It needs to stop, its not going anyone any good. 

• Cheers 1

This whole 3M mask business, I think someone should draw a picture with crayons to Trump.

N95 mask needs melt blown non woven polypropylene, most of it is produced in China.

Chinese use reicofil machine supplied by Reifenhauser group from Germany.

Also assembly and calibration take very long time.

Edited by CBH1926

2 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

This whole 3M mask business, I think someone who should draw a picture with crayons to Trump.

N95 mask needs melt blown non woven polypropylene, most of it is produced in China.

ACTUALLY

Amazingly enough, the pulp fibre used in the N95 masks only comes from one place, in the entire world.  That place is Nanaimo BC's Harmac Pacific Mill.

At any point in time that pipeline could get cut off, as the other materials for the masks can in fact be found but that pulp fibre...not so much

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

This whole 3M mask business, I think someone who should draw a picture with crayons to Trump.

Unfortunately, this assumes that Trump cares about facts and reason....

....this move is based on one thing: optics. Trump wants it to appear as though he's "putting America first". Even if the measure is completely useless, he knows his base will be suckered, just like they always are. Heck, we've even had a couple of Canadians here, trying to make the same idiotic case, although they seem to have backed off a bit, since facts like you and Hippy point out above, have started to become known.

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I look forward to the day Canada grows some backbone. 

I hear the US has a leader with some chutzpah.  Some backbone.  A real go getter.  Decisive.  The best leader in the history of man kind even.  Some might say, a stable genius

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Unfortunately, this assumes that Trump cares about facts and reason....

....this move is based on one thing: optics. Trump wants it to appear as though he's "putting America first". Even if the measure is completely useless, he knows his base will be suckered, just like they always are. Heck, we've even had a couple of Canadians here, trying to make the same idiotic case, although they seem to have backed off a bit, since facts like you and Hippy point out above, have started to become known.

The moment that story hit.  I was more than saddened by the people who stood up and said they wished Canada had a leader that was doing something for its people.  But also immediately asked when people were getting their CERB assistance cheques.

Wishing canada had a strong leader.  Ignoring the mess America's Strong Leader has put their nation in to.

It's genuinely sad how some people will believe literally anything.

hell the amount of Corona virus was created to help 5G kill people conspiracy posts is almost overwhelming

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

ACTUALLY

Amazingly enough, the pulp fibre used in the N95 masks only comes from one place, in the entire world.  That place is Nanaimo BC's Harmac Pacific Mill.

At any point in time that pipeline could get cut off, as the other materials for the masks can in fact be found but that pulp fibre...not so much

From what I have read N95 doesn’t use pulp fiber or K10s, but surgical masks and gowns do.

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

The moment that story hit.  I was more than saddened by the people who stood up and said they wished Canada had a leader that was doing something for its people.  But also immediately asked when people were getting their CERB assistance cheques.

Wishing canada had a strong leader.  Ignoring the mess America's Strong Leader has put their nation in to.

hell the amount of Corona virus was created to help 5G kill people conspiracy posts is almost overwhelming

It's pure partisanship. Trudeau has done as well as can be expected.

The fact that us "lefties" have been consistent in praising Doug Ford's response, I think shows that at least some of us are able to put aside partisanship in light of this crisis. Unfortunately, I haven't seen much of that from the resident Trudeau bashers.

13 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you seem to like putting out sensationalistic info and fake numbers. It needs to stop, its not going anyone any good. 

Cute, but the real fake numbers were from China, which you were hell bent on defending. Which then resulted in name calling and insults. I felt 'child' was an appropriate irony too good to pass up, in as much as your insults are petty and childish.  

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-intelligence-found-china-misrepresented-coronavirus-stats-report-2020-4

• The US intelligence community has determined that the Chinese government concealed the extent of its coronavirus outbreak and gave false statistics to other countries, Bloomberg News reported, citing three US officials.
  • Officials transmitted a classified report of their findings to the White House last week.
  • Bloomberg described its sources as saying that the report's main conclusion was that China's public reporting of coronavirus cases was "intentionally incomplete" and that its numbers were fake.
  • China was the epicenter of the novel coronavirus outbreak until last week, when the US's number of cases surpassed China's.
  • US and other Western officials have repeatedly expressed skepticism about China's numbers. Residents of Wuhan, where the outbreak originated, have also publicly doubted the government's reporting.

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I hear the US has a leader with some chutzpah.  Some backbone.  A real go getter.  Decisive.  The best leader in the history of man kind even.  Some might say, a stable genius

Cute, and when have I supported Trump? If you think it's cool that our health minister is supporting Chinese migrants buying PPE in bulk just to send back to China then we're in clear disagreement. 

1 minute ago, CBH1926 said:

From what I have read N95 doesn’t use pulp fiber or K10s, but surgical masks and gowns do.

thats correct, the N95s are all polymer based other than the aluminum nose clip: https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/1425070O/3m-particulate-respirator-8210-n95-technical-specifications.pdf

Canada does have polymer film manufacturing capacity and a textile industry so hopefully we see some out our own manufacturing of respirators soon.

There's a local BC company called Mustang Survival that i've heard is working on a reusable gowns, and a university out east working on a respirator adapted from fire fighting equipment. 

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Cute, but the real fake numbers were from China, which you were hell bent on defending. Which then resulted in name calling and insults. I felt 'child' was an appropriate irony too good to pass up, in as much as your insults are petty and childish.  

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-intelligence-found-china-misrepresented-coronavirus-stats-report-2020-4

I'm blocking you for my sanity. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

we can't ethically put American lives at risk just for petty retaliation. 

We're getting this thing under control, particularly in BC, and companies are stepping up all over Canada for some new solutions. Let focus on that. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats correct, the N95s are all polymer based other than the aluminum nose clip: https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/1425070O/3m-particulate-respirator-8210-n95-technical-specifications.pdf

Canada does have polymer film manufacturing capacity and a textile industry so hopefully we see some out our own manufacturing of respirators soon.

There's a local BC company called Mustang Survival that i've heard is working on a reusable gowns, and a university out east working on a respirator adapted from fire fighting equipment. 

I know of Mustang Survival.   They make PFD (aka life jackets) and other stuff.  They're in Burnaby. 

Just now, BPA said:

I know of Mustang Survival.   They make PFD (aka life jackets) and other stuff.  They're in Burnaby. 

yup they are a neat company. There's a push going on now with the BC garment industry to step up with new solutions, so thats awesome to see. 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Well I'll be,

You're right.  My mistake.  The story read as though the pulp was essential in the creation of these masks, but instead is essential in almost every other type of medical PPE.

Good catch

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3