CBH1926

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

Canada commits C$1 billion to coronavirus response

Wed 11 Mar 2020 13:22:40 GMT

Canada unveils some COVID-19 measures

• Fund will support provinces
  • Includes $275m for research
  • To waive waiting period for employment insurance
  • Trudeau says the government is prepared to take further measures to combat outbreak if need be
This sounds small and woeful after what the UK just announced. The UK economy is about 1.6x the size of Canada and did 30x more in specific coronavirus measures. That's not an entirely fair comparison because Canadian provinces has some large fiscal power and responsibilities but the point stands.

Mark Carney for PM!  lol

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

‘You know my Uncle was a great — he was at MIT,’ the president said while standing next to health officials who are working to contain the outbreak of coronavirus.

‘He taught at MIT for a record number of years. He was a great super genius, Dr. John Trump.’

Here's a photo of Trump's unlce:

Spoiler

Image result for wile coyote super genius

• Upvote 1

Some perspective.

Everyone should read this

Richard Schabas is a retired physician. He was Ontario’s chief medical officer of health for 10 years, and was chief of staff at York Central Hospital during the SARS crisis in 2003.

Strictly by the numbers, the coronavirus does not register as a dire global crisis

In the three months or so since it started, the new coronavirus and its related COVID-19 disease – which emerged in the Chinese province of Hubei late in 2019 and now numbers more than 110,000 cases around the world – have caused more than 4,000 deaths, mostly in China. As the case numbers grow around the world, including in Canada, where there are now more than 70 cases, people have become concerned that a pandemic is inevitable.

But in the same three months, there have been about three million deaths in China from other causes, and about 14 million deaths worldwide. During the same three-month period, according to Health Canada, there have been almost 10,000 deaths in Canada from tobacco addiction, for instance – and just one from COVID-19.

MORE HERE

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-strictly-by-the-numbers-the-coronavirus-does-not-register-as-a-dire/

19 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Some perspective.

Everyone should read this

Richard Schabas is a retired physician. He was Ontario’s chief medical officer of health for 10 years, and was chief of staff at York Central Hospital during the SARS crisis in 2003.

Strictly by the numbers, the coronavirus does not register as a dire global crisis

In the three months or so since it started, the new coronavirus and its related COVID-19 disease – which emerged in the Chinese province of Hubei late in 2019 and now numbers more than 110,000 cases around the world – have caused more than 4,000 deaths, mostly in China. As the case numbers grow around the world, including in Canada, where there are now more than 70 cases, people have become concerned that a pandemic is inevitable.

But in the same three months, there have been about three million deaths in China from other causes, and about 14 million deaths worldwide. During the same three-month period, according to Health Canada, there have been almost 10,000 deaths in Canada from tobacco addiction, for instance – and just one from COVID-19.

MORE HERE

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-strictly-by-the-numbers-the-coronavirus-does-not-register-as-a-dire/

This is week one.  Ask Italy how they feel about it

• Upvote 4

I don't like this way of thinking from that opinion article...

" learned some powerful lessons from SARS in 2003. Maybe the most important one was how important it was to focus on what has happened rather than on what might happen."

I would think focusing on what might happen is very important. So, if we're wrong then at least we were prepared. Can't turn back time if it does get worse...to which he says.."Could the situation change? Could COVID-19 become a true pandemic with millions of cases and tens of thousands of deaths every day? Of course."

I guess he is just saying 'don't panic'. Which I agree with, I'm a big fan of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, over reacting is no good. But don't tell me how many people die from other things that are not new, have a lower fatality rate and/or are not contagious

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Upvote 2

On 3/10/2020 at 7:43 AM, riffraff said:

Sadly, I am fully confident society will

just move on to the next version of media driven mass hysteria.

I wouldn't say it is mass hysteria. Sure some people are being hysterical (see toilet paper shortage) but most people are pretty calm. People do need to respect the potential of the virus though. It is extremely transmissible and has the potential to spread rapidly if it gains momentum, which is why you have countries like Italy taking major steps to contain. It is a serious threat and should be respected. We don't want this taken casually. If you are relatively young and healthy it likely isn't going to kill you, but not everyone is lucky enough to be in that situation.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Approx 500 deaths in 9000 cases in Italy, that's a 5% mortality rate and not just the elderly.  People need to stop acting like this is the seasonal flu

I've also heard of younger people getting the virus and suffering greatly from it. Err on the side of caution every time.

• Upvote 1

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

I've also heard of younger people getting the virus and suffering greatly from it. Err on the side of caution every time.

It sounds like people of all ages are getting hit hard and overwhelming ICU in Italy.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Approx 500 deaths in 9000 cases in Italy, that's a 5% mortality rate and not just the elderly.  People need to stop acting like this is the seasonal flu

I think its important to remember tho you have a lot of ability as an individual person to control your exposure and its not that different from good practice with the flu. Outside of waiting for a vaccine everyone know the precautions, and it is important not to freak out and do things like horde medical supplies. 

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Yeah. When a country of 60,000,000 is on lockdown, it's serious.

it is and it isn't. My wife has family in northern Italy, they are still allowed to go to work for the most part. Only one of her cousins has been sent home who works at a public library but the rest of them are still working. 

@aGENT posted this video a few pages back. I just watched it. For those that don't think this is a serious issue I recommend watching the first 10 minutes. At the 2:40 mark he explain how the Milan hospital physicians are basically deciding who to let die and that people in their 40s are in rough shape over there.

He also brings up a very good point around 'underlying conditions' putting people more at risk of mortality - smoking and obesity would put people in that category. Obesity is an epidemic in North America, the USA in particular.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

16 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think its important to remember tho you have a lot of ability as an individual person to control your exposure and its not that different from good practice with the flu. Outside of waiting for a vaccine everyone know the precautions, and it is important not to freak out and do things like horde medical supplies. 

It's sounding like they think it's airborne now

• Upvote 1