The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think its important to remember tho you have a lot of ability as an individual person to control your exposure and its not that different from good practice with the flu. Outside of waiting for a vaccine everyone know the precautions, and it is important not to freak out and do things like horde medical supplies. 

You don't have control over how slovenly other people are though. Having a solid amount of medical supplies is always a good idea.

28 minutes ago, stawns said:

Approx 500 deaths in 9000 cases in Italy, that's a 5% mortality rate and not just the elderly.  People need to stop acting like this is the seasonal flu

Still lots of church-goers there and I cannot imagine a better breeding ground for the virus to spread than in an enclosed building with lots of people.  Many of whom who are elderly.  Isn’t that how South Korea had that big spike of cases?  A lot of people attending some sort of activity?

8 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

@aGENT posted this video a few pages back. I just watched it. For those that don't think this is a serious issue I recommend watching the first 10 minutes. At the 2:40 mark he explain how the Milan hospital physicians are basically deciding who to let die and that people in their 40s are in rough shape over there.

He also brings up a very good point around 'underlying conditions' putting people more at risk of mortality - smoking and obesity would put people in that category. Obesity is an epidemic in North America, the USA in particular.

I watched that yesterday.  I always take JR with a grain of salt, but there was some scary info in that segment

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think its important to remember tho you have a lot of ability as an individual person to control your exposure and its not that different from good practice with the flu. Outside of waiting for a vaccine everyone know the precautions, and it is important not to freak out and do things like horde medical supplies. 

Great point.

Problem is with some people that say things like ' more die from the flu' is that they continue on with their lives without worrying about their exposure or potentially spreading it.

We don't know enough about this and it is killing more people that get it than those that get the flu. 

My contractor still plans to take his family for a cruise during spring break because 'flu...blah, blah'

My sister has one booked a month away...also plans to go..

Not wise.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Latest coronavirus patient attended large Toronto mining conference, prompting warning to attendees

Ontario health officials are investigating how a man attending a major Toronto conference became infected with COVID-19 amid fears the case marks the start of local transmission of the virus in the province.

Public Health Sudbury and Districts, which posted details of the case online Tuesday evening, said a man in his 50s tested positive for COVID-19, the name of the disease caused by the coronavirus, after attending the Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada’s conference in Toronto on March 2 and 3. According to organizers, the annual event attracts 25,000 attendees from more than 130 countries.

Anyone who attended the conference is now being asked to monitor themselves for symptoms, such as a fever or a cough, for the next 14 days, according to Penny Sutcliffe, medical officer of health for Public Health Sudbury and Districts.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, Ontario Premier Doug Ford and a number of other provincial and federal cabinet ministers and business leaders attended the conference last week.

more in the link

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-first-community-spread-corona-case-in-ontario-connected-to/

21 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

@aGENT posted this video a few pages back. I just watched it. For those that don't think this is a serious issue I recommend watching the first 10 minutes. At the 2:40 mark he explain how the Milan hospital physicians are basically deciding who to let die and that people in their 40s are in rough shape over there.

He also brings up a very good point around 'underlying conditions' putting people more at risk of mortality - smoking and obesity would put people in that category. Obesity is an epidemic in North America, the USA in particular.

Also, the biggest thing I gathered from this is that all the shutting down mass gatherings, people going to work etc, etc is only going to prolong this, not stop it (and massively effect the economy, supply chains etc). He says it's airborne and is basically like trying to stop the wind.

The only way this 'stops' is that enough people get it and build up antibodies to it so that they can no longer transmit it. Herd immunity. That's the only way this passes. Medical immunization via vaccine is not on the horizon.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

I like to take this opportunity to announce a hiatus from recreational swimming.  I've put a lot a thought into this and trust me this wasn't an easy decision.  Today I will be going to save on and stocking up on granola bars.  I want to say thank you to my fans for their support in these trying times.

after watching that JR video and reading whats going on in the world, i cant see them ever containing this until they come up with a vaccine.

if 1 person can unknowingly set off a chain reaction of exponential infection in a population how can this be stopped or controlled?  Is it too drastic to stop all flights, all leisure related travel etc for 2 months?  

• Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I actually think we might see the playoffs cancelled or played without fans.

Coronavirus: San Jose Sharks wondering if they’ll play home games without fans

San Jose Sharks, NHL still discussing all options for the three home games the team is scheduled to play later this month

SAN JOSE — No option appears to be off the table as the San Jose Sharks and the NHL on Tuesday were still trying to figure out what it will do for the three home games the team is scheduled to play later this month.

A day after Santa Clara County health officials implemented a mandatory ban on all large gatherings in hopes of containing the spread of the deadly coronavirus, the Sharks were still unsure as to what might happen to scheduled games at SAP Center against Montreal, Boston and Arizona.

The ban begins at midnight Wednesday, will span at least three weeks and will apply to any event with more than 1,000 attendees.The Santa Clara County Sheriff’s Office and police departments throughout the county will enforce the ban.

Options the NHL and the Sharks are discussing include playing games as scheduled at SAP Center without spectators in the building, playing games at neutral sites outside of Santa Clara County or postponing home games until after the end of March.

“Home ice advantage is always key,” Sharks interim coach Bob Boughner said when asked whether he’s rather play games at neutral sites with fans. “Whether it’s a neutral site game or if they decide something like that, it’s still nice to be in your home rink and your home dressing room. Be able to not stay in a hotel and go sleep in your own bed. There’s a lot of advantages to being at home.”

There could also be different options for different games, as all three games may not be played at the same site.

“I’ve never been in the NHL when we played a game without any fans,” Sharks forward Evander Kane said Tuesday. “That idea would definitely be very different. I know they made an announcement on a couple of different scenarios. We’re just all waiting to see what actually happens. Obviously the empty building is one of them.

“It’s be very strange to play in an empty building, that’s for sure.”

The Sharks have also been in close contact with officials from the county. Last week, the Sharks decided they would continue to play scheduled games against Minnesota, Ottawa and Colorado despite county health officials at the time calling for new measures to prevent the virus from circulating, including canceling large gatherings like sporting events.

The games against the Wild and Senators had the two smallest crowds of the season. The Sharks announced that 14,517 tickets were distributed for the March 5 with Minnesota and 14,694 tickets were distributed for Sunday’s game with Colorado. Seating capacity for Sharks games at SAP Center is 17,562, and the average-sized crowd in 36 home games so this season has been 16,427.

“We love playing in front of our fans, so it’s definitely shocking news,” Sharks forward Timo Meier said. “But we also know that health comes first, so we’re just here to do our job. We love playing hockey and we love having a crowd.”

The Sharks held practice Tuesday morning before they left for Chicago, as they begin a week-long road trip against the Blackhawks on Wednesday. Their next home game is scheduled to be against the Canadiens on March 19, followed two days later by a game with the Bruins. They play the Coyotes on March 29.

Monday, Santa Clara County announced its first coronavirus-related death, prompting the ban. As of then, there were 133 known cases of COVID-19 within California, including 37 reported in Santa Clara County. Last Thursday, the number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Santa Clara County had reached 20.

“I think we’re going through it just like you guys are going through it,” Sharks center Joe Thornton said. “I think we’ve got to be sensitive to what’s going on. And it’s not just this community, it’s worldwide. But to see it kind of hit home and kind put things in perspective. We’ve got to take care of each other. It’s been tough these last couple weeks.”

Boughner has two children who attend law school at the University of Detroit Mercy. Boughner is from Windsor, Ontario, which is right next to Detroit.

“They’re talking about cancelling their classes and doing the rest of their law school through Skype,” Boughner said. “So it’s affecting everybody. In my hometown, it’s starting to be a little bit of a scare.”

Last week, the government of Switzerland banned events involving more than 1,000 people, which affected the country’s national league for hockey. Over the weekend, the league held regular-season qualifying rounds without spectators.

Meier, who is from Switzerland, said he talked to people who played in those games with empty arenas.

“They said, obviously, it’s weird, playing in front of nobody,” Meier said. “Especially once it gets later in the season, toward the playoffs when the energy in the building is high. Playing meaningful games in front of nobody, obviously it’s different.”

The Sharks (29-35-5) also play two home games next month, against Dallas on April 2 and Anaheim on April 4 to end the regular season. The Sharks remain mathematically alive to make the playoffs, but are realistically out of contention. So in case the ban is extended into April, those would be the only other NHL games potentially affected.

“It’s been a crazy season, for the players and the staff,” said Boughner, who took over as the Sharks’ coach Dec. 11 after Pete DeBoer was fired. “From the coaching change to the (trade) deadline, all of the injuries we’ve dealt with and now this. There’s nothing else that can really be thrown at you. It’s been one of those seasons.”

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/03/10/coronavirus-san-jose-sharks-react-to-county-ban-on-large-gatherings/

2 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

I like to take this opportunity to announce a hiatus from recreational swimming.  I've put a lot a thought into this and trust me this wasn't an easy decision.  Today I will be going to save on and stocking up on granola bars.  I want to say thank you to my fans for their support in these trying times.

Hmmmm....not sure that's a good idea Tre....you sure you want all that extra fiber with a TP shortage?

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

You don't have control over how slovenly other people are though. Having a solid amount of medical supplies is always a good idea.

true, there's some piggies out there for sure. You're a dad, I'm sure the last thing you want to hear is someone is infected in your kids schools. But not keeping a level head is going to lead you to crappy decisions or do things that won't help. 

Like all of these things we have to now just wait and see how this thing plays out. I think I'll be skipping the IKEA cafeteria and cruise ships for a while tho. 

2 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Coronavirus: San Jose Sharks wondering if they’ll play home games without fans

San Jose Sharks, NHL still discussing all options for the three home games the team is scheduled to play later this month

Easy transition for the BB&T Center

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Buy honey.

Best prepper food. 

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Darius said:

after watching that JR video and reading whats going on in the world, i cant see them ever containing this until they come up with a vaccine.

if 1 person can unknowingly set off a chain reaction of exponential infection in a population how can this be stopped or controlled?  Is it too drastic to stop all flights, all leisure related travel etc for 2 months?  

I think the world is in for a stressful 6-8 months

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2