The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Also, the biggest thing I gathered from this is that all the shutting down mass gatherings, people going to work etc, etc is only going to prolong this,

Slowing it down is still a good thing, as if everybody gets it quickly the medical systems would be completely overwhelmed.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Darius said:

after watching that JR video and reading whats going on in the world, i cant see them ever containing this until they come up with a vaccine.

if 1 person can unknowingly set off a chain reaction of exponential infection in a population how can this be stopped or controlled?  Is it too drastic to stop all flights, all leisure related travel etc for 2 months?  

you can't, all you can do is slow it down by the measures recommend. Vaccine is pretty much the only way to get herd immunity. 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

true, there's some piggies out there for sure. You're a dad, I'm sure the last thing you want to hear is someone is infected in your kids schools. But not keeping a level head is going to lead you to crappy decisions or do things that won't help. 

Like all of these things we have to now just wait and see how this thing plays out. I think I'll be skipping the IKEA cafeteria and cruise ships for a while tho. 

I know quite a few people in healthcare, and I'm looking to them presently as a barometer of where things are at. I'm not going to make "crappy decisions".

• Cheers 1

Just now, stawns said:

I think the world is in for a stressful 6-8 months

yeah i cant see an easy way out of this.  this will impact so many aspects of society - financial, health, etc - its unprecedented in my lifetime i think....i dont think SARS or H1N1, ebola...even wars, that will have this type of potential broad impact across the board world wide..

4 minutes ago, gurn said:

Slowing it down is still a good thing, as if everybody gets it quickly the medical systems would be completely overwhelmed.

Sure... but the only way to effectively do that is to literally shut the world down for months.

Are we closing hospitals? Where's our food coming from? What happens to the economy when the entire world stops working? It's not a realistic scenario. This isn't getting stopped by people staying home for a week or two.

Edited by aGENT

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

Which is exactly what's happening it Italy, it's crippling their health care system and they're seeing widespread infection of doctors and nurses

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think I'll be skipping the IKEA cafeteria and cruise ships for a while tho. 

Personally not eating any food prepared by someone else - even avoiding Cobs bread.  Honestly it may come off as being paranoid but that and avoiding swimming seems like a good idea.

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Buy honey.

Best prepper food. 

Honey is one of the few things I actually have.  I always have a spoonful a day along with maple syrup, don't ask why.  I am out of food though lol.

6 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Hmmmm....not sure that's a good idea Tre....you sure you want all that extra fiber with a TP shortage?

A man's gotta eat.  I am a picky eater and that's the only thing I can think that would last me in the event I can't buy food for awhile.  Besides I think more fibre=less TP consumption.   

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, stawns said:

I watched that yesterday.  I always take JR with a grain of salt, but there was some scary info in that segment

As people should. Bottom line is that he can be misinformed on a lot of topics other than comedy and MMA. I do thoroughly enjoy his podcast though. He has some great guests. If there is a source we should be believing, since there is mistrust in media, an epidemiological expert in virus transmission is a pretty good one (his guest).

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

I actually think we might see the playoffs cancelled or played without fans.

^Canuck luck. Make playoffs, can't go to games.

Just now, Tre Mac said:

Personally not eating any food prepared by someone else - even avoiding Cobs bread.  Honestly it may come off as being paranoid but that and avoiding swimming seems like a good idea.

Unless you own and (properly) wear a respirator, you'd need to avoid breathing.

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Sure... but the only way to effectively do that is to literally shut the world down for months.

Are we closing hospitals? Where's our food coming from? What happens to the economy when the entire world stops working? It's not a realistic scenario. This isn't getting stopped by people staying home for a week or two.

this pretty much. People working in our critical supply chains have to keep working. We need to get a bit of luck on the vaccine development timeline. 

Just now, bishopshodan said:

I have a property with lots of deers. 

I hope my property still has lots of deers in the coming months... might have to go back to eating red meat.:ph34r: 

Anyone got any tips on how to dry out a pelt?

Better hope they don't have Chronic Wasting Disease :P

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

this pretty much. People working in our critical supply chains have to keep working. We need to get a bit of luck on the vaccine development timeline. 

Devloping a vaccine could be done tomorrow. Testing it to make sure it's safe for millions of people can't.